Super Bowl Venue Rotation idea

TBGKon

Just pondering, but what if the NFL were to institute something so that the Super Bowl venue would be decided by rotation, ie. like what the BCS does with the championship game location. See below:

Year 1 - Miami

Year 2 - Arizona

Year 3 - New Orleans

Year 4 - Houston/Dallas*

Year 5 - Tampa

Year 6 - wild card**

* = It could be designated that Houston hosts the first time, and once that slot comes back around, Dallas would then host the game, rotating every 6 years.

** = The wild card slot could be filled by any team not in the rotation, and that has a viable location (ie. Atlanta, Detroit, Indy w/ new stadium, Minnesota w/ new stadium, etc.)

*** = If and when Los Angeles gets a team, and if San Diego gets a new stadium, a Year 7 option of LA, San Diego, or a LA/San Diego swap like Houston/Dallas could be added.

What are all of your thoughts? Could an idea like this work?

I see no benefit to this plan. The BCS plan is in place to keep the Bowl games in agreement. There is no such problem with host cities and not in the NFL's best interest to lock itself in. Who would it help and how?

Who would it help and how?

The celebs and high profile holders who basically left the game since they didn't wanna get wet.

So they need to know 7 years in advance when a game will be in Miami so that they can not attend on the off chance that it rains?

I don't think yuo can consider New Orleans a Super Bowl city anymore.

Why not? The Superdome is rebuilt and it could probably generate a lot of money towards the city.

Just pondering, but what if the NFL were to institute something so that the Super Bowl venue would be decided by rotation, ie. like what the BCS does with the championship game location. See below:

Year 1 - Miami

Year 2 - Arizona

Year 3 - New Orleans

Year 4 - Houston/Dallas*

Year 5 - Tampa

Year 6 - wild card**

* = It could be designated that Houston hosts the first time, and once that slot comes back around, Dallas would then host the game, rotating every 6 years.

** = The wild card slot could be filled by any team not in the rotation, and that has a viable location (ie. Atlanta, Detroit, Indy w/ new stadium, Minnesota w/ new stadium, etc.)

*** = If and when Los Angeles gets a team, and if San Diego gets a new stadium, a Year 7 option of LA, San Diego, or a LA/San Diego swap like Houston/Dallas could be added.

What about San Fransisco and Oakland? (When they both inevitably get new stadiums.)

michst-sm.gifyankees3-sm.gifbulls2-sm.gifireland-sm.gif

Celtic.png

Who would it help and how?

The celebs and high profile holders who basically left the game since they didn't wanna get wet.

So they need to know 7 years in advance when a game will be in Miami so that they can not attend on the off chance that it rains?

Yes because they are celebrities and therefore better than the actual football fans who actually go there to see the game.

:P

Why not? The Superdome is rebuilt and it could probably generate a lot of money towards the city.

I'm pretty sure that the NFL's on the record of saying that the Superdome must be replaced before it will host another Super Bowl. Anyway, New Orleans in its current state, and the state it will be in for probably the next decade, does not have the ability to logistically support the Super Bowl.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Year 1 - Miami

Year 2 - Arizona

Year 3 - New Orleans

Year 4 - Houston/Dallas*

Year 5 - Tampa

Year 6 - wild card**

What about San Fransisco and Oakland? (When they both inevitably get new stadiums.)

If the Bay Area builds a domed stadium or retractable roof stadium then maybe otherwise no

Signature intentionally left blank

Other than the Super Dome, does the city has the facilities for fans, the media and players to hold an event like the Super Bowl?

I seriously doubt that. Maybe in 5 years.

1997 | 2003

Year 1 - Miami

Year 2 - Arizona

Year 3 - New Orleans

Year 4 - Houston/Dallas*

Year 5 - Tampa

Year 6 - wild card**

They will? NFL says it's tapped out for the foreseeable future.

There are four 'traditional' sites that the NFL currently won't consider:

NEW ORLEANS - For obvious reasons. While the Saints are back up and running to an extent, the city's still years away from being capable of hosting a Super Bowl-size event, if it ever can again.

SAN DIEGO - Taken out of consideration until a new, football-only stadium is built, or extensive renovations are made to Jack Murphy.

BAY AREA, CALIFORNIA - Was going to be the site for another game several years ago until the 49'ers pulled the plug on one of their umpteen stadium plans. If they build in Santa Clara though, they'll eventually get a game, as the Bay Area collectively can host.

ATLANTA - Owners were somewhat freaked out by the weather last time they held the game there, and despite the fact that the game itself is held in a dome, many ancillary activities are held in places where weather is a factor. It's a bad rap in this case, but they're at least temporarily out of the running.

Personally I think they should eliminate some of the criteria they use to eliminate potential host cities. SB XLI was the second-highest rated game of the series in terms of television ratings, probably in no small part to the weather conditions - "Hey, a Super Bowl in the rain! Cool. Let's watch!" As long as a site traditionally doesn't have snow or excessive chance (for instance, rain on more than half the days in the month) of rain in January (oh, yeah, they need to move the game back to January... February's not a month in which I think Super Bowl), they should get a shot:

ARLINGTON - Once the Cowboys new stadium is up, they should (and will) get to host a game.

ST. LOUIS - If Kansas City can be guaranteed a game at some point in the next ten years at Arrowhead, St. Louis should be in the running with a dome.

CHARLOTTE - Much as I hate Charlotte (I live in Raleigh, its kind of a requirement for residency here), the city's at least as deserving of a Super Bowl, if not moreso, than Jacksonville.

NEW YORK - If/when the Jets build a new, retractable roof stadium, they absolutely should get to host a game. Imagine a Super Bowl in the Big Apple? Wow.

NASHVILLE - If Charlotte's worth considering, so is Nashville and that big taco of a stadium they have there.

INDIANAPOLIS - As Detroit was in the 1980's and 2000's, and Minneapolis was during the 90's, this can be the NFL's "let's play the game in a true cold weather site once a decade" location in the 2010's.

nav-logo.png

I've always questioned why StL never attempted to host the Super Bowl. I know they have a dome and the city isn't really the best weather location, but it is actually a really nice venue.

As of right now the planned replacement for Giants Stadium in New York is not planned with a roof of any kind. Seeing the Super Bowl in the NYC metro area would be awesome, but unless the new stadium has a roof, it will nnever happen.

Personally, Charlotte and Nashville are in that questionable climate range. Since both venues are open air, this would have to come into question. It could happen if the NFL is open to a new alternative.

Year 1 - Miami

Year 2 - Arizona

Year 3 - New Orleans

Year 4 - Houston/Dallas*

Year 5 - Tampa

Year 6 - wild card**

I heard that the 49ers were getting one in Santa Clara and Oakland was in...Oakland. (Somebody else out there know of this?)

michst-sm.gifyankees3-sm.gifbulls2-sm.gifireland-sm.gif

Celtic.png

Year 1 - Miami

Year 2 - Arizona

Year 3 - New Orleans

Year 4 - Houston/Dallas*

Year 5 - Tampa

Year 6 - wild card**

I heard that the 49ers were getting one in Santa Clara and Oakland was in...Oakland. (Somebody else out there know of this?)

All still pipedreams. I know the Niners' Santa Clara plans were dependent on some subsidies from the NFL, but that fund is gone thanks to the Cowboys and a few other teams already in line and ready to go.

I am not sure if the SF Bay Area would be a Super Bowl option, unless the stadium had a retractable roof.

Super Bowl XIX was played at Stanford Stadium and it certainty didn't have a dome or retractable roof. The only thing preventing the Bay Area from getting a Super Bowl is a new stadium that is large enough.

ST. LOUIS - If Kansas City can be guaranteed a game at some point in the next ten years at Arrowhead, St. Louis should be in the running with a dome.

As someone who lives in St. Louis I seriously doubt that we will ever host a Super Bowl. True we have a dome which is a pretty nice facility. However it is far from state of the art and only seats 66,000 which is pretty small for a Super Bowl venue. Secondly, the logistics of the area surrounding the dome would be a complete nightmare. Just finding a parking spot for a Rams regular season game is nearly impossible and very few of the downtown hotels are within walking distance of the Edward Jones Dome.

I would love to see it happen, but the Dome is lodged tightly in downtown St. Louis whereas Arrowhead Stadium has nearly unlimited amounts of space surrounding it for all of the festivities that go along with the Super Bowl.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

I am not sure if the SF Bay Area would be a Super Bowl option, unless the stadium had a retractable roof.

Super Bowl XIX was played at Stanford Stadium and it certainty didn't have a dome or retractable roof. The only thing preventing the Bay Area from getting a Super Bowl is a new stadium that is large enough.

That was an anomaly, and a much different era in the NFL anyway. I'm not sure of the reason behind playing the game at Stanford, but we'll probably never see something like that again.

You know what the NFL should do? They should have a non-NFL city host the Super Bowl (i.e.: Los Angeles, Birmingham, Oklahoma City, San Antonio). Either that or have a Super Bowl at a 70,000+ seat college football stadium.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Archived