Blue Ice

-Helix-

dscf0008ba8.jpg

Picture is from the French Cup Final in Paris. A lot of French teams use the blue ice (possibly mandatory?)

I just thought it looked really cool. Kinda old school. I wonder how well the puck shows up on it.

It's funny though cause the ice turns white after awhile from all the snow. So it only looks cool before the game/period. (Like this picture, obviously taken during warmups.)

it does look cool, but what ever happened to the SAbres blue ice? remember they painted it during the lock-out? I think it was a big waste of money to switch it for no reason at all!

The Sabres did that for the Amerks playoff run during the Lockout. They wanted to try different ideas to make the game better. They also had a weird shaped net.

2005-03-15-blueice1.jpg

2005-04-01-sabres-nets-in.jpg

saBS.png

Maybe because its darker. Plus doesn't blue ice help make the goalie see the puck better? Thought I heard that somewhere.

I think it helps everyone see the puck better, actually. It has something to do with the blue being easier on the eyes than white ice because white reflects so much light and is too bright for the eyes.

That's why the NHL/Sabres were experimenting with it during the lockout. Since a lot of casual fans complain about not being able to see the puck.

dscf0008ba8.jpg

Picture is from the French Cup Final in Paris. A lot of French teams use the blue ice

Wait...there's hockey in France :lol:

No, Cristobal Huet is just a figment of your imagination. :P

And Pat, the arena was actually sold out. The picture is from warmups like I said.

I thought the Isles used blue ice for a while. Can anyone confirm or deny?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One of the Cali ECHL teams (I want to say Long Beach?), had blue ice fore a few seasons. They kept the red and blue lines and had the crease white with blue ice.

EDIT: The Blue lines were painted yellow on the ice with the standard blue markers on the dashers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Beach_Ice_Dogs

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Archived