Best Logo In All Of Sports?

tikitiger

jimm_MilwaukeeBrewers.jpg

:cursing:

DEATH TO THE BALL-IN-GLOVE LOGO!!!

are you kidding me?!?!

the ball in glove logo is epic.

i have wore the same ball in glove logo hat for 8 years.

its the most amazing idea ever.

No, he's right. The ball-in-glove logo should die. It's generic, it could stand in for any baseball team with the initials "MB". It doesn't represent Milwaukee or beer-making in anyway. It fails in two of the most important aspects of a sports logo.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... except that it has already been inexorably linked in the public's mind with both the city and the team.

Were it to be introduced today, I would agree with you. But you cannot escape the historical resonance, which is why I find that argument unpersuasive every time it is raised.

And keep in mind, this is from someone who doesn't love the ball and glove logo and wants it replaced....

No, he's right. The ball-in-glove logo should die. It's generic, it could stand in for any baseball team with the initials "MB". It doesn't represent Milwaukee or beer-making in anyway. It fails in two of the most important aspects of a sports logo.

That's silly. What is this, exactly?

7205.gif

Any team with an N and a Y could use that with just as much legitimacy as the Yankees.

Even more non-descript is this guy:

7192.gif

Dallas? Denver? Danville? Dublin? Dubai? It's just as valid for any of those as it is Detroit.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

jimm_MilwaukeeBrewers.jpg

:cursing:

DEATH TO THE BALL-IN-GLOVE LOGO!!!

are you kidding me?!?!

the ball in glove logo is epic.

i have wore the same ball in glove logo hat for 8 years.

its the most amazing idea ever.

BUT...it is the perfect beer league team logo--it is a symbol that most has to do solely with baseball, but ambiguously contains no specific reference to the team itself. In that aspect, because the Milwaukee Brewers are the epitome of beer league baseball, it spectacularily succeeds.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

you could say the same for 75% of the sports logos out there. most of them dont evoke aspects of their city just as dsgitlin said.

That's silly. What is this, exactly?

7205.gif

Any team with an N and a Y could use that with just as much legitimacy as the Yankees.

Even more non-descript is this guy:

7192.gif

Dallas? Denver? Danville? Dublin? Dubai? It's just as valid for any of those as it is Detroit.

you could say the same for 75% of the sports logos out there. most of them dont evoke aspects of their city just as dsgitlin said.

The logos you posted have long-established histories and traditions.

Yankees' "NY" : 98 years, 26 WS titles

Tigers' "D" : 103 years, 4 WS titles

The Brewers' ball-in-glove/mb, however, only served as the team's primary for 15 years. It was never the logo of a WS championship team. The ball-in-glove logo can hardly be mentioned in the same breath as the Yankees' "NY" or the Tigers' "D".

On top of that you have to take into account that the Yankees' "NY" is not the team's primary. The team's true primary mark highlights the team's nickname:

68.gif

If the ball-in-glove/mb logo was simply a cap logo, like the Yankees' "NY" with a separate primary that conveyed the name "Brewers" then I would be ok with it. As it is, however, the ball-in-glove would serve as both the cap and primary logo. Whereas it's a decent cap logo, it's to generic to be the team's primary mark.

True, the Detroit Tigers use their "D" as both a cap and primary logo, but again, it all comes back to tradition.

Tigers' "D" has 103 years and 4 world titles behind it, the Brewers' ball-in-glove has 15 years and no world titles. Tradition can do great things for a logo. The Tigers' "D" has that tradition. The ball-in-glove doesn't.

Whoever said the Olympic rings was the best reply. Genius on two levels.

My opinions:

Hockey - Red Wings (Blackhawks have better uniforms, but this logo is better.)

Football - Colts (Simple and descriptive)

Basketball - The actual NBA logo

Baseball - Chief Wahoo

Soccer - Arsenal

College - Texas

Other than the Pittsburgh Penguins which obviously have the best logo ever, I would have to go with the current Leafs alt:

201.gif

Just a classy and badass logo.

Being an ancient fossil who remembers when they wore these, I prefer the Leafs' long time logo that lasted until 1964:

LeafsoldA.jpg

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

ProvidenceSteamRoller1922.GIF

What is this?:blink: A Human Dog? Teen Wolf?:blink: ManWolfDog!!!!!???:wacko:

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Here is the honor role of classic or great (preferably both) logos per sport, per my opinion:

MLB (cap logos only): New York Yankees, Detroit Tigers, Florida Marlins, St. Louis Cardinals.

NFL: Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs.

NBA: Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics.

NHL: New Jersey Devils, Montreal Canadiens, Florida Panthers, Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Detroit Red Wings, Minnesota Wild, St. Louis Blues

NCAA Division I: Alabama, Arizona State, Auburn, Duke, Florida, Florida State, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Penn State, Texas, Wake Forest, Washington State, West Virginia, Wyoming.

Harumph! Let the debating continue.

If you use this argument against the Brewers ball in glove, then you condemn a lot of very popular logos to their death. How about the Canadiens logo... that's a generic logo that has nothing to do with the City of Montreal or being a Canadian. Could be the Columbus Blue Jackets logo C for Columbus with a little H for Hockey. Goodbye to the Bruins logo as well in hockey.

We can probably sit here and name a lot more that fall under your definition of Generic. Some of the most beloved logos are also the most simplistic, the fact that the initials MB are so easily used to form a Baseball glove is what makes this logo very creative. The same principle as being able to use the Hartford Whalers initials in a creative enough way to show not just initials but another element.

Do I necessarily think the Brewers should bring back that logo? No, but I do appreciate that fact that it's actually in a very unique class of logos that don't have to work too hard to be appreciated on multiple levels.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived