March Madness 2007

bterreson

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats UF. I just wish Joakim Noah played for a losing team. Nothing against the Gators, but I really wish that cocky prick got his comeuppace. Noah, of all college basketball players, doesn't get humilty.

It's called getting excited. He's an emotional, excitable person, and it's fun to watch him get hyped up. The same goes for other excitable players such as: Alonzo Mourning, Tiger Woods, Dontrelle Willis, Shawn Merriman, Junior Seau, etc. They've all been known to fist pump, yell, and who knows what when they make a good play. There's nothing wrong with that. It's never done in a negative way, so it's simply just getting excited.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I honestly expected this, SEC is better at basketball this year. Only reason I didn't have them winning in the first place is I thought that "habit" of "switch on, switch off" basketball (a la Shaq and Kobe Lakers) would bite them in a one and done tournament.

It was the guard play that carried them through. Humphrey and Brewer were unstoppable, especially since Donovan schemed defences to harry opposing outside shooting, something no one else seemed to try in the tournament.

I think I'm going to chew on this one tomorrow before commenting in depth, as I think the Gators' win has the opportunity to have a far-ranging impact on College Basketball, but it's something we'll just have to wait and see about. Have fun guessing what it is... :)

Three...peat?

First, congrats to the Gators - repeating in the modern NCAA is a real feat. Add to that the announcers were saying they are the only starting 5 to repeat - according to the piece I heard, even the great UCLA run usually had at least one starter change every season, and I'm pretty sure that Duke changed one starter between 1991/92 due to graduation.

Three-peat? I doubt it; I don't think the Noah, Brewer and all the other key juniors stay - maybe one will, but not the entire group. However, Donovan has built a program that reminds me of the Kentucky run from 1996-1998 - the 1998 team won it all with what was essentially the bench sitters from the 1996 team.

Although I'm a Kentucky alumnus and fan, I also don't see Donovan leaving for the bluegrass. I think he'll talk to Rick Pitino about his decision to leave a good thing he built at Kentucky, and as long as he is happy in Gainseville, he'll stay put.

Wow. No "Florida Champs #1!!!!" thread? I'm surprised to see that.

Two years in a row that Florida wins an NCAA basketball championship, two years in a row that the world gives a collective yawn.

Too bad too. Florida's athletic department has pulled off a pretty amazing feat. If I were a Florida student or alum, I'd pretty pretty pleased with myself about now. As I'm not, eh.

I would have made a thread like that, but any time I make a Gators Championship thread everyone gets all pissed off. It's not worth dealing with all the haters, so I just do my own thing and party hard with my friends here. There's no need to spread it on CCSLC.

:censored: that. Celebrate anyways. You repeated in basketball and won football earlier this year. Celebrate all you want, when you want, where you want, I ain't mad at you!

:P

I would have made a thread like that, but any time I make a Gators Championship thread everyone gets all pissed off. It's not worth dealing with all the haters, so I just do my own thing and party hard with my friends here. There's no need to spread it on CCSLC.

I think Gitlin's quote was referring to you. He was just being nice not mentioning you specifically. :P

Honestly, I say go ahead and make your thread. :censored: all the "haters." I was a bit disappointed when I didn't see your celebration thread. Because we all missed out on Bucfan totally losing it and proclaiming West Virginia the REAL National Champions and making a stupid sig for it.

For the record, most of us aren't "haters," we just don't like people being all over the top stupid, like your "the Bears will win the Super Bowl because they have 4 Gators and Peyton Manning never beat the Gators" thread. We don't "hate" you (well maybe Roger Clemente does) or your Gators (with Bucfan obviously excluded). We have to care before we "hate" something.

Enjoy your celebration, enjoy your historical back-to-back championships, and enjoy the fact that Florida is the ONLY school to ever win both the National Championship in football and basketball in the same academic and/or calendar year. It is friggin' awesome that it actually happened...I didn't think it could happen, but I'm glad it did. I love seeing history being made.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think Gitlin's quote was referring to you. He was just being nice not mentioning you specifically. :P

Honestly, I say go ahead and make your thread. :censored: all the "haters." I was a bit disappointed when I didn't see your celebration thread. Because we all missed out on Bucfan totally losing it and proclaiming West Virginia the REAL National Champions and making a stupid sig for it.

For the record, most of us aren't "haters," we just don't like people being all over the top stupid, like your "the Bears will win the Super Bowl because they have 4 Gators and Peyton Manning never beat the Gators" thread. We don't "hate" you (well maybe Roger Clemente does) or your Gators (with Bucfan obviously excluded). We have to care before we "hate" something.

Enjoy your celebration, enjoy your historical back-to-back championships, and enjoy the fact that Florida is the ONLY school to ever win both the National Championship in football and basketball in the same academic and/or calendar year. It is friggin' awesome that it actually happened...I didn't think it could happen, but I'm glad it did. I love seeing history being made.

Ditto on all your points, except the first one. I wasn't singling anyone out -- I was honestly surprised not to see anything.

But please do make a celebratory thread -- your team deserves it. If any of the teams I rooted for ever won a damn thing, I would certainly do the same.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Congrats to the Gators on an incredible few years -- let us not forget that they are also just a couple of years past winning the NCAA baseball title as well.

I am somewhat let down that there were no locker room t-shirts commemorating Florda's victory.

I loved the opening to the "Prelude to a Championship" with the band members and the cheerleaders.

"We're not impressed that you can spell a four letter state"

"How is nut intimidating and when are they at all dangerous?"

those tow comments by the Florida band member cracked me up.

Congrats UF. I just wish Joakim Noah played for a losing team. Nothing against the Gators, but I really wish that cocky prick got his comeuppace. Noah, of all college basketball players, doesn't get humilty.

He will next year in the NBA.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

If Noah, Brewer, and such are wise, they'd stay one more year in college and go for the threepeat. Of course, I think Oden would do better staying another three years in college as well. The money will be there when he graduates, you can count on that.

LvZYtbZ.png

I'm an attention whore!!!

Me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

If Noah, Brewer, and such are wise, they'd stay one more year in college and go for the threepeat. Of course, I think Oden would do better staying another three years in college as well. The money will be there when he graduates, you can count on that.

If I could, I'd show you a youtube clip of Shaun Livingston blowing out his knee to demonstrate the advantages of going pro as soon as the lottery money is available.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah so as per request I made the celebration thread. Then someone went and Graveyarded it within the hour. See...I'm not allowed to celebrate. :blink:

I was thinking that myself. One conspiracy theory that has been proven true.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If I could, I'd show you a youtube clip of Shaun Livingston blowing out his knee to demonstrate the advantages of going pro as soon as the lottery money is available.
Oden, if he came out in 2010 as a senior, would probably be the #1 pick of the draft.

LvZYtbZ.png

Yeah so as per request I made the celebration thread. Then someone went and Graveyarded it within the hour. See...I'm not allowed to celebrate. :blink:

I was thinking that myself. One conspiracy theory that has been proven true.

Conspiracy against the Gators? Ohio State apologists?

I wonder who it could be....

Oden, if he came out in 2010 as a senior, would probably be the #1 pick of the draft.

Assuming, of course, he doesn't get hurt (which was my point). He's already busted up his wrist, what happens to said draft status if he keeps missing games to injury.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived