March Madness 2007

bterreson

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maryland and Georgetown sure. Is Arizona's success more recent, though? Like the 90's onward? If so, they have a bit of catching up to do. Sorry to say it, but the Big Ten also-rans don't rank with me.

Now where does Michigan State fit into this? They were dominant in the early 2000's and have one of the best teams of all time back in 80 with Magic.

Of the 3 you take exception to, I'd say Ohio State is definitely in the 2nd tier. 5 appearances in the championship game, 2 NCAA titles - including a back-to-back run. And Ohio State's excellence has been done in multiple generations - the Jerry Lucas/Havlicek years, the Jim Jackson/Dennis Hopson years, the Scoonie Penn teams, and then today.

Arizona had very good teams as far back as the 1920s, won 6 straight conference titles in the 1940s, and Lute Olson's been winning conference titles since as far back as 1986 IIRC (4 Final Fours as well). Moreover, there hasn't been a period where UA really dropped to the bottom; from Sean Elliott to the present, they've been fairly steady.

Michigan State? Hmm. 23 NCAA appearances, 6 Final Fours, 10 Big Ten titles. 1 outright Big Ten title before Magic Johnson came to town. If you would accept that resume, you MUST accept Ohio State. Illinois has better in-conference numbers, but zero titles. However, what did MSU ever do before the late '70s? I'd put the 'Cuse in league with Maryland, Georgetown and Ohio State, and I could argue for Arizona as well. Michigan State's no better than 3rd or 4th in its own conference (Indiana, Ohio State, tie with Illinois), and before Izzo came to town, Magic Johnson led a couple good years preceded by bleakness. But you accept that Georgetown is in this 2nd tier, then Michigan State must be there as well, since they all have similar pedigrees. And if Michigan State is in there, one could argue for Illinois as well. And on paper, Arizona looks like Georgetown with some better historical eras.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

When watching the GU-OSU game last night, I saw 2 strange stats at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

One said..

"GEORGETOWN

5th Final Four since 1985"

shortly thereafter the other said....

"OHIO STATE

10th Final Four since 1999"

:blink::wacko:

Anyone else notice this?

Yeah, I saw that too. Weird error

Well, I'll tell you one thing: The Final Four experience is awesome! Save for part of the game between UCLA & Florida (Kind of a snoozer. I friggin updated my myspace while watching that game.) It was very awesome experience. The only thing I regret is that I couldn't get any photos because my phone went out. Stupid non-charing phone.

Anyways, OSU vs. Florida. Since my bracket is shot, I've really lost interest.

But I do want Florida to win because their fans are nuts, while OSU's are some of the smugest I've ever met. :P

But I do want Florida to win because their fans are nuts, while OSU's are some of the smugest I've ever met. :P

I would have flipped the two honestly. And therefore I want OSU to win.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Can Florida be crowned the champions of the Big Ten in football and basketball too? Just saying... ;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

*pre-emptively ignores everyone from Florida*

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Thankfully I'm from a bit further west. :P

Oden was a monster. Too bad he was playing 1 v. 5 though...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Thankfully I'm from a bit further west. :P

Oden was a monster. Too bad he was playing 1 v. 5 though...

Ehh...you're alright.

I honestly expected this, SEC is better at basketball this year. Only reason I didn't have them winning in the first place is I thought that "habit" of "switch on, switch off" basketball (a la Shaq and Kobe Lakers) would bite them in a one and done tournament.

Today, we are all otaku.

I honestly expected this, SEC is better at basketball this year. Only reason I didn't have them winning in the first place is I thought that "habit" of "switch on, switch off" basketball (a la Shaq and Kobe Lakers) would bite them in a one and done tournament.

It was the guard play that carried them through. Humphrey and Brewer were unstoppable, especially since Donovan schemed defences to harry opposing outside shooting, something no one else seemed to try in the tournament.

I think I'm going to chew on this one tomorrow before commenting in depth, as I think the Gators' win has the opportunity to have a far-ranging impact on College Basketball, but it's something we'll just have to wait and see about. Have fun guessing what it is... :)

It was the guard play that carried them through. Humphrey and Brewer were unstoppable, especially since Donovan schemed defences to harry opposing outside shooting, something no one else seemed to try in the tournament.

I think I'm going to chew on this one tomorrow before commenting in depth, as I think the Gators' win has the opportunity to have a far-ranging impact on College Basketball, but it's something we'll just have to wait and see about. Have fun guessing what it is... :)

Three...peat?

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Wow. No "Florida Champs #1!!!!" thread? I'm surprised to see that.

Two years in a row that Florida wins an NCAA basketball championship, two years in a row that the world gives a collective yawn.

Too bad too. Florida's athletic department has pulled off a pretty amazing feat. If I were a Florida student or alum, I'd pretty pretty pleased with myself about now. As I'm not, eh.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

As a fellow SEC-er, I sure hope it has something to do with Spring Football....

Two years in a row that Florida wins an NCAA basketball championship, two years in a row that the world gives a collective yawn.

Too bad too. Florida's athletic department has pulled off a pretty amazing feat. If I were a Florida student or alum, I'd pretty pretty pleased with myself about now. As I'm not, eh.

I would have made a thread like that, but any time I make a Gators Championship thread everyone gets all pissed off. It's not worth dealing with all the haters, so I just do my own thing and party hard with my friends here. There's no need to spread it on CCSLC.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Congrats to the Gators, they outplayed a really tough Ohio State team.

You feel bad for Greg Oden, but the man cemented his place as the #1 pick in the draft with his dominating performance this evening. It's unbelievable that such a strong kid, with a 45-year-old's face could only be 18 (he's 3 years younger than me!).

Billy Donovan had to do something few college coaches ever have the privilege to do, and that's attempt to repeat with the same players. I'm not going to say it's harder, but that's got to be a unique challenge.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I would have made a thread like that, but any time I make a Gators Championship thread everyone gets all pissed off. It's not worth dealing with all the haters, so I just do my own thing and party hard with my friends here. There's no need to spread it on CCSLC.

It's your school and it won the last three of the two major collegiate championships. I totally support your right to gloat. We probably won't soon see something like that again.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived