Columbus Destroyers wearing red

BigEd76

They looked beeeautiful. Columbus has a very clean, simple uniform that also demonstrates the ultimate in consistency: navy-red-navy striping on the helmet, collar, sleeves, and pants.

There are only two things I'd like to see changed for the Destroyers: a return to the beveled numbers of the Buffalo years, and the development of a solid, battleship-based primary logo. The interlocking "CD" is nice, but it screams out "secondary logo" to me.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

a battleship theme would make sense for the name, but isn't Columbus landlocked? heh, I just now looked it up, and a destroyer ship near the Sabres' arena was in fact the inspiration for the name.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

a battleship theme would make sense for the name, but isn't Columbus landlocked? heh, I just now looked it up, and a destroyer ship near the Sabres' arena was in fact the inspiration for the name.

Well, we do have the Scioto and Olentangy River running through town. But I'd like to see a logo like that.

That's only partly true. There was a name-the-team contest, but I believe the name was submitted without explanation. And, while there is indeed a destroyer moored down the street from the arena, what sealed the deal for the name was the fact that the then-owner's father had served on a destroyer in the Navy.

At least, that's how he told it to me.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

That's only partly true. There was a name-the-team contest, but I believe the name was submitted without explanation. And, while there is indeed a destroyer moored down the street from the arena, what sealed the deal for the name was the fact that the then-owner's father had served on a destroyer in the Navy.

At least, that's how he told it to me.

good to know for the next time I talk out my ass :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

Slightly better shot:

QTCJVSKKCTKMNGD.20070424031802.jpg

And the striping is actually red-navy-red. My bad.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It doesn't matter that Colubmus is landlocked, we've had a baseball team named the clippers for 35+ years.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It doesn't matter that Colubmus is landlocked, we've had a baseball team named the clippers for 35+ years.

good point, I forgot about them for a minute.

2016cubscreamsig.png

I know this thread is about the Destroyers' uniforms, (which, I think they look great in, by the way) but where did the Soul's unique number font go? I thought they had a custom number font which was the same font in their wordmark, specifically the Soul portion of their wordmark. It now looks like they are using a block number font. Anyone know when or why they changed fonts or am I dead wrong on this one?

-E.A.R.

I know this thread is about the Destroyers' uniforms, (which, I think they look great in, by the way) but where did the Soul's unique number font go? I thought they had a custom number font which was the same font in their wordmark, specifically the Soul portion of their wordmark. It now looks like they are using a block number font. Anyone know when or why they changed fonts or am I dead wrong on this one?

-E.A.R.

No, you're right. The fonts changed when Russell started making the uniforms. The Avengers, Gladiators, Rush and Crush (kinda) all lost their unique fonts when Russel took them over. Chicago and Dallas' alternates use the same font. Las Vegas uses one that's basically the same as the Colorado Avalanche. The rest are block.

Columbus' is really the only unique font left but I'm sure it has a basis in plenty of other fonts.

The Soul also lost the color from their sleeves (blue on the homes, gray on the roads) and changed the font of the back nameplates...

Yep. In other words, every thing that looked good about the Soul from the neck down.

And then there's the ridiculous placement of the Russell logo between the name and numbers on the back...

Looks a little like the Ohio State Buckeyes. The navy looks almost black. Perhaps that was the idea since the Buckeyes are the biggest game in town.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Archived