NHL Off-Season 2007

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schneider to the Ducks. $5.5M per year. Two years. Sick.

Thats going to be a pretty crazy blue line. Though that signing may be a signal that Scott Niedermeyer is actually going to retire.

Briere to the Flyers for 8 years 52 million. 10 million for next year 6.5 million cap hit. No movement clause also.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212425&hubname=

That's going to be a bad contract

Just heard Morganti talking about this on the radio. He didn't mention the "no movement clause" that the article states. Is that basically the equivilent of a no-trade clause? If so, if the Flyers can't win this thing in the next couple of years, it's not going to be pretty around here. I love the fact that they're going for it at all costs, but this year's signings could prove to be disastrous (they could prove to be brilliant too, but only if they win.)

How do the buy-out rules work with the new cap system? Can they get out from these contracts if they want to? Remember that money is not a factor with this team. That's not necessarily a good thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Flyers sign Briere to eight-year, $52 million deal

Tim Panaccio

Inquirer Staff Writer

At 5-foot-9, 180-pounds, Danny Briere is the smallest No. 1 center the Flyers have ever acquired in free agency.

20070701_briere250.jpg

The last, major piece of the Flyers puzzle for next season was put into place during the opening hours of free agency today when the club signed Danny Briere to an eight-year, $52 million deal.

Finally, the Flyers have a No. 1 center again, having traded away Peter Forsberg over the winter near the trade deadline.

At 5-foot-9, 180-pounds, Briere is the smallest No. 1 center the Flyers have ever acquired in free agency.

The lithe 29-year-old forward is one of the most gifted offensive players in the NHL. His talents were obscured pre-lockout because of the old rules which allowed clutching and grabbing.

Since the “new” rules on obstruction were introduced to the league following the 2005 lockout, Briere, who was born in Hull, Canada, has averaged 28 goals and that includes missing nearly one-half of the 2005-06 season because of an abdominal injury.

The Flyers are a team that generates offense off defensive transition. The Sabres, however, played an up-tempo, always on the attack style and relied on their goaltending to make a difference on the back end.

Whether Briere can make the adjustment to the Flyers’ more restrictive style and still be an offensive catalyst, will determine if the Flyers chose the right - or the wrong - center in free agency.

Given the Flyers style of play, especially in the physical Atlantic Division, both Scotty Gomez and Chris Drury would have been much better “fits” on the Flyers. Gomez seems headed to the Rangers while Drury is expected to land somewhere on the West Coast.

The Flyers contacted all three free agents and presented offers in the first hour of free agency. Given the demand for the three, it was a literally a crap shot as to which player would accept what offer first.

Briere, who was co-captain of the Sabres (Drury was their captain), earned $5 million last season via arbitration.

The Flyers went into free agency $9.6 million under the $50.3 million salary cap established for next season. They are still looking to unload at least $2.5 million in salary via the trade route.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

LOL, I thought that too. They could have had some fun with it, like maybe a before / after shot.

Word is that Forsberg wants to come back, possibly at a below-value salary to take one more shot.

LOL, I thought that too. They could have had some fun with it, like maybe a before / after shot.

Word is that Forsberg wants to come back, possibly at a below-value salary to take one more shot.

I'm apprehensive about both of them.

Honestly, Briere will either be feast or famine. Either he'll take the team up three levels, or he'll crash out.

philly.png

I'm apprehensive about both of them.

Honestly, Briere will either be feast or famine. Either he'll take the team up three levels, or he'll crash out.

As for Forsberg, I'd welcome him back as long as his role was understood from the outset. My biggest problem with him here was that the team relied on him for everything, and he just isn't on the ice enough to be "the guy" anymore. As long as he accepts being a role player (albeit a great role player) and wouldn't cost much against the cap, I say sign him up.

I must say, Holmgren seems to realize that the old dump & chase-hook & grab-fight & fight more style of hockey isn't what wins any more. I'm certainly excited about the next season, but as I said - it could be ugly around here in a few years... very ugly.

See this is why I love the Flyers, and pretty much cnat stand the Phillies. Yea I know it's been over 30 years since their last cup, but at least they are putting forth the effort. Ed Snider hates to lose, he will do whatever it takes to keep this organization among the elite in the league. I applaud this move, and am really starting to look forward to next season.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Briere to the Flyers for 8 years 52 million. 10 million for next year 6.5 million cap hit. No movement clause also.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212425&hubname=

That's going to be a bad contract

Just heard Morganti talking about this on the radio. He didn't mention the "no movement clause" that the article states. Is that basically the equivilent of a no-trade clause? If so, if the Flyers can't win this thing in the next couple of years, it's not going to be pretty around here. I love the fact that they're going for it at all costs, but this year's signings could prove to be disastrous (they could prove to be brilliant too, but only if they win.)

How do the buy-out rules work with the new cap system? Can they get out from these contracts if they want to? Remember that money is not a factor with this team. That's not necessarily a good thing.

No movement is just what is says. You can't trade or even waive the player. I also heard you can't even buy the player out although I'm not sure about that. Pretty much if they under perform for what ever reason the team is stuck.

Archived