NHL Off-Season 2007

Unless jfj has some back up planned, then I'm fiine...

I doubt JFJ has a primary plan. I'm convinced he's making it up as he goes along.

Isn't that the Leaf's standard operating procedure?

Though honestly, I believe Toskala is a significant upgrade over Raycroft. Of course, if Toronto had kept their pick, they could have had Esposito or Cherepanov, but thats not the sort of slide you can really predict.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am shocked the Canadiens passed on Esposito. He has so much talent and he is from Montreal. The Penguins got another top 5 talent on there team. I can’t believe that because of his point total decreasing by 19 that he slipped so far.

I am shocked the Canadiens passed on Esposito. He has so much talent and he is from Montreal. The Penguins got another top 5 talent on there team. I can?t believe that because of his point total decreasing by 19 that he slipped so far.

Just because Esposito has so much talent and is from Montreal doesn't make it a given. Take Akim Aliu for example because of his attitude he fell to the 2nd round, while he is a 1st round talent. Apparently, the deal with Esposito is, is he doesn't have enough will. Now that he had been drafted by the Pens, he will probably succeed again with stars playing around him, like his days with Radulov in Quebec.

8prlQWA.png

Canucks acquire Ryan Shannon and a conditional pick from Anaheim in exchange for Jason King and a conditional pick.

Take it for what its worth but Eklund is reporting a big trade involving Edmonton and "A big power forward out of the East." Also, the NHL Network was talking about a possible trade involving the Oilers early this morning as well, so I guess we'll see in the coming days what happens.

8prlQWA.png

That doesn't seem wise.

Is the NHL really making that much more revenue?

When you consider inflation and how much the Canadian dollar has increased probably. Plus I believe there was a clause in the CBA that the players enacted to up the percentage they get. Not sure about that though. As far back as I can find numbers it seems like league revenues have never gone down from the previous season with the exception of the lockout shortened 95 season. So one can expect the cap to go up every year (although maybe by not as large of an increase).

....and the league will be right back where they were, pre-lockout.

But you have to consider what it would be like now without the cap. Salaries would be much higher than they will be for this year.

But with the Cap, there's also a Salary Basement. Teams that are already losing money (for example, Nashville) have to spend a minimum of $34 million.

The owners wanted something to control their spending ways. Having a Cap raise by an average of $5 million a season when the league isn't making a boatload of money just isn't making much financial sense to me.

The Cap needs to be raised slowly over time. Players will accept smaller contracts because they'll fear they'll price themselves out otherwise, a la Anson Carter last year.

I'm sure teams close to the cap with free agents yet to sign, such as the Wild, were glad to see the cap take a nice jump up.

It's going to be interesting times around Buffalo to see if either Briere and/or Drury come back.

I'd sure like to see Briere on my team, but I'd kill for Drury.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Report: Fernandez dealt to Bruins

The Minnesota Wild agreed to trade goaltender Manny Fernandez to the Boston Bruins Saturday for Czech forward Petr Kalus, according to reports from the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

The move of Fernandez, who is scheduled to make $4.33 million next year, was considered eminent after the Wild re-signed goalie Niklas Backstrom to a two-year contract worth $6.2 million on June 8, according to the report.

Although the trade has yet to be announced, the paper reports an announcement will be made once both parties receive league approval.

Fernandez was one of the original members of the Wild franchise. He posted a 22-16-1 record with a 2.47 goals-against average and a .911 save percentage before injuring his left knee. His abscence opened the door for the 29-year-old Backstrom to lead the Wild to the franchises' first playoff appearance.

Kalus, the 39th pick in the 2005 draft, scored four goals and had an assist in nine games for the Bruins.

UPDATES:

Thrashers resign Pascal Dupuis

Blues resign Keith Tkachuk

Predators resign Scott Nichol

Sabres resign Adam Mair

Wild resign both Mikko Koivu and Martin Skoula

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I am shocked the Canadiens passed on Esposito. He has so much talent and he is from Montreal. The Penguins got another top 5 talent on there team. I can?t believe that because of his point total decreasing by 19 that he slipped so far.

I'm not. Esposito doesn't seem like a Bob Gainey-type player.

The one kid they did get, McDonough, sounds like he is.

This is painfully hilarious and totally sad and pathetic at the same time...

It's the first 3 HOURS of the TSN NHL Free Agent FRENZY Blog!!!

"Todd White is off the board! It's a frenzy I tell you! A FRENZY! Appearing next year in this time slot on TSN: The U.S. Women's Open."

Priceless.

You can actually feel the writers pain. :flagcanada:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived