NHL Off-Season 2007

Exactly....oblivion...I wasn't wrong, was I?

I kid, I kid....haha....no, Boston is the black hole of hockey. Well, Boston and Chicago...the only things I ever hear out of them is how bad they are. That's a shame, really. Two, once formidable and major-league franchises are now relegated to "This is where I take my dates at to break up" status.....I hope they at least become competitive really soon. It'll give hockey that large-market (that's not named New York or L.A.) that it desperately needs. Think of Chicago and Boston as "new" expansion franchises....and the NHL is trying to expand there to let pro hockey become known as a real sport up there.

Sorry, I hope you all can see the whole post here was just.....Brandon being silly.

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minnesota re-signs Backstrom for get this: 6.2 million dollars over two years.

That's a large investment made in a goaltender who has never been a full time starter.

The numbers he put up even when manny was down and out, he's earned it. You think team's are going to risk a Kipper type situation?

Kipper was a 2nd-3rd string goalie in San Jose, then goes to Calgary and turns into this mvp goaltender, man did they feel dumb about it, i'm thinkin the wild thought that if we let this guy go and he goes to a team and wins the cup, we're retards. He's done a great job, he's going to make what, 3.1/yr?

Fernandez is on the outs, they have Harding itching to be back-up, they just saved some money if anything once they trade Manny, and he isn't happy in minnesota anymore.

I kid, I kid....haha....no, Boston is the black hole of hockey. Well, Boston and Chicago...the only things I ever hear out of them is how bad they are. That's a shame, really. Two, once formidable and major-league franchises are now relegated to "This is where I take my dates at to break up" status.....I hope they at least become competitive really soon. It'll give hockey that large-market (that's not named New York or L.A.) that it desperately needs. Think of Chicago and Boston as "new" expansion franchises....and the NHL is trying to expand there to let pro hockey become known as a real sport up there.

Sorry, I hope you all can see the whole post here was just.....Brandon being silly.

Problem in Boston was the owner meddling with the team's day to day operations and spouting off how his team is the best assembled in bruins history, then wants his mvp out of town for a bunch of middle aged players, 1 of whom was traded to Calgary later on.

Chicago is a different situation where the owner is purposely ruining the team. He blacks out all games to chicago tv networks and makes it ppv or just blacks them out for whatever reason he has. Doesn't want to improve the product much at all, so the GM has his hands tied at for most of the time. I feel bad for that market, the Hawks deserve much better.

To touch on the Bruins topic again, that team is starting to look better, even though they lost Thornton, they gained some good youth from the calgary trade and then they have Kessel, Bergeron, Chara, and a promising Rask waiting to be #1 goaltender. Don't count that team out just because they don't have Joe the playoff disappearing act.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Problem in Boston was the owner meddling with the team's day to day operations and spouting off how his team is the best assembled in bruins history, then wants his mvp out of town for a bunch of middle aged players, 1 of whom was traded to Calgary later on.

Sounds like a familiar tone with jerry and the boys. I think it was 01 or 02, but before the start of the season Jerry Jones says that this is the most talented ever play for the cowboys. Mind you this was after their 2nd installment of 5-11, with the hee haw gang of Q, Hutch, Hambrick, Larrimore etc. That season the boys went on to create the final and third installment of 5-11.

Chicago is a different situation where the owner is purposely ruining the team. He blacks out all games to chicago tv networks and makes it ppv or just blacks them out for whatever reason he has. Doesn't want to improve the product much at all, so the GM has his hands tied at for most of the time. I feel bad for that market, the Hawks deserve much better.

Wirtz couldn't run Suzies lemonade stand on the corner of 4th and main. I wish the NHL was like the fantasy hockey leagues i've been in where if you are intentially trying to ruin a team, you are dismissed from the league. I do wonder if he is trying to ruin the team or is a complete moron and doesn't have a clue as to what he is doing.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

As much fun as the Bruins bashing is, aren't you guys going to post any real stories?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210598&hubname=nhl

Defenceman Chris Chelios and the Detroit Red Wings agreed on a one-year contract Tuesday.

It will be the 24th NHL season for the 45-year-old Chelios, who had 11 assists and a plus-11 rating in 71 games for the Red Wings last season.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007...os.html?ref=rss

The Anaheim Ducks inked left-winger Travis Moen and enforcer George Parros to two-year contract extensions on Tuesday.

Both players, who are now under contract through the end of the 2008-09 NHL season, were set to become unrestricted free agents on July 1.

Moen, 25, was one of Anaheim's best players in this year's playoffs after registering 10 goals and 21 points for the Ducks in the regular season.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007...in.html?ref=rss

The Toronto Maple Leafs have locked up captain Mats Sundin for another season.

The NHL club announced Tuesday that it signed Sundin, 36, to a one-year deal worth $5.5 million US. The contract includes a no-trade clause.

http://bruins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...rticleid=318109

Speaking via cell phone, Andrew Alberts answered questions about his re-signing with the Boston Bruins.

"It feels good," said Alberts, who could be heard letting out a contented breath. "It feels good to get it done."

The former Boston College Eagle, and Minnesota native, explained that Boston has been good to him and he is excited to stay in his adopted home.

"I wanted to stay with the Bruins," said Alberts, who was a restricted free agent. "They wanted me and I wanted to be there.

"And we wanted to get it done right away."

More:

Iron Mike coming to Calgary? Apparently

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2903727

TORONTO -- The Calgary Flames have hired Mike Keenan as their new head coach, The Canadian Press reported Wednesday.

The Canadian Press, citing unidentified sources, reported an official announcement is expected Thursday or Friday.

Current Flames coach Jim Playfair will remain with the organization.

Lightning trade second round pick (07 or 08, Kitties choice) to Florida for Chris Gratton.

Lightning sign F Jan Hlavac from the Czech Republic.

That seems like a pretty stupid trade. I like Chris Gratton, he has a history with the team and I'm glad he's coming back, but come on. A SECOND ROUND PICK? Jeez, we already have enough 3rd/4th liners, as well as enough players here for nostalgia (Rob DiMaio). I just don't get it. Feaster has really been a crappy GM since the lockout.

Caps signed Josef Boumedienne! anyone care? didnt think so...ok *goes back to Caps hole until draft day*

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

So in exchange for 15 - 20 games worth of Forsberg, the Predators sent the Flyers Upshall, Parent, Timmonen, and Hartnell, plus the Flyers get to keep their own pick (#2 overall.)

I realize that Timmonen and Hartnell received large contracts, and honestly I don't know enough about either player to know if they were worth it, but it certainly seems like (GM) Paul Holmgren did very well here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I kid, I kid....haha....no, Boston is the black hole of hockey. Well, Boston and Chicago...

I thought Philadelphia was where goalies careers went to die.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I kid, I kid....haha....no, Boston is the black hole of hockey. Well, Boston and Chicago...

I thought Philadelphia was where goalies careers went to die.

True. We can only hope that things will be different in the post-Clarke era.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So in exchange for 15 - 20 games worth of Forsberg, the Predators sent the Flyers Upshall, Parent, Timmonen, and Hartnell, plus the Flyers get to keep their own pick (#2 overall.)

I realize that Timmonen and Hartnell received large contracts, and honestly I don't know enough about either player to know if they were worth it, but it certainly seems like (GM) Paul Holmgren did very well here.

I disagree, he overpayed 2 guys that you said yourself wernt woth it and he gave them long term contracts so if they dont work out it wont be that easy to get rid of them. Plus he gave up a first round pick, if he was going to pay that much why not wait to July first and keep the pick. I think thats great for the Preds, they were going to losse those 2 so its good for them to get something in return.

Bruins apparently hired Claude Julien to be the new head coach. It's reported on www.thefourthperiod.com

It just gets worse..

I rarely believe TFP. Wait for something on TSN.ca or ESPN if they still carry hockey.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I disagree, he overpayed 2 guys that you said yourself wernt woth it and he gave them long term contracts so if they dont work out it wont be that easy to get rid of them. Plus he gave up a first round pick, if he was going to pay that much why not wait to July first and keep the pick. I think thats great for the Preds, they were going to losse those 2 so its good for them to get something in return.

I never said they weren't worth it. I said I didn't know much about the players. With all the money coming off their cap, plus the knowledge that the cap will likely grow by around $4 million (and probably grow a bit each coming year) they can afford to take some risks. I'd rather them try their damnedest and fail then be like some teams and not even try.

I'm not saying you're wrong - you may end up being right - but I'm pretty happy right now.

Archived