Atlanta Hawks to be completely re-branded in 07-08

2mr41h

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

like many others have said, they're not bad, just kinda 'meh'. it doesn't look bad, just not too inspired, though I agree with the peanut gallery and think that the new alternate hawk's head logo looks great.

but like somebody else mentioned pages ago, it looks like the NJ Nets just moved down to Atlanta. I wish their uniforms stood out more because of that.

and because I'm too lazy to dig up a quote from page 8, somebody thought Portland's silver looked bad...I think they did that in 2001 or '02, and it *does* add to their uniforms, much more so than just red, black and white. It's just used as trim and it looks good that way.

harperdc.gif

if anyone has any free time, you think you could take that pic of Josh Smith and change the colors to their red/yellows? I would be interested in seeing how much better it will look than the navy/red

I did a quick re-color of the new unis in the old colors (roads):

AtlantaHawks_PropRoadUnis.gif

I tried keeping the Gold in there, but it didn't look right. So, Black is back in, only as a trim color...

if anyone has any free time, you think you could take that pic of Josh Smith and change the colors to their red/yellows? I would be interested in seeing how much better it will look than the navy/red

I saw someone make one that has black as the jersey color with the red and yellow. I'm not sure if it is okay to post it because I think someone found it on another site, then transfered it to this one forum.

Also if anyone has any free time could they make a red alternative with the new jersey? Like with red as the jersey with blue lettering and white piping, aka the Braves home alternates.

untitled-2.jpg

Another recolorization of a primary logo?

Those side panels are reminiscent of Philly's new red alternates.

The back of the neck is extremely innovative and sharp.

At least keep the gold in as a trim/secondary color if not as a main color.

ujsignature.png

Another recolorization of a primary logo?

Those side panels are reminiscent of Philly's new red alternates.

The back of the neck is extremely innovative and sharp.

At least keep the gold in as a trim/secondary color if not as a main color.

Well it was either that or fork over another 500,000 to change the primary completely.

untitled-2.jpg

You know they're going to make a red alt, and this is probably what it's gonna look like. If they come out with this, I'm buying it immediately. Sharp.

And comparing the red-and-yellow to the red-and-blue...I think that the red-and-blue wins out. It might not be unique, but I think it looks better.

But now it brings me to another gripe: They could've at least did THIS, kept a red away jersey. Ugh, everytime I get excited about this thing, there's always something to bring it down. Which is the reason why this gets a high and mighty "meh" once again.

This is the first time I've heard about this $500,000 rule, and I hate it. What a bunch of crap. It forces teams to keep crappy logos, like the Deer In Headlights or the bad cartoon hawk, or worse yet, abandon what made it work the first time, like the Jazz logo. The Cavaliers designed a new logo, and it was an upgrade, but then again, what wouldn't be. Terrible rule.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Both of the mock-ups with red as the road jersey look really sharp. I would like either of those opposed to the blue jersey. Hopefully when they have the red alternate they will wear it for the majority of their games.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Not a fan. Looks like a mix of Nets, navy Rockets and some kind of Arizona Cardinals alternate crossover concept. (The secondary logo reminds me of some of the many Cardinal concepts on here and SSUR back in the day.) Maybe even a little Houston Texans in there.

Just doesn't say Hawks... of course, I don't remember the unis worn by the champion St. Louis Hawks the article mentioned, but I'm guessing they don't look like these, so the history argument is weak. Ask anybody the history of Atlanta's colors and I'd guess red and yellow would be the pick.

So, if the NBA can charge $500,000 to avoid a logo switch, why wouldn't they do the same for color switches? Especially considering the parade of navy teams of late, you'd think they try to push them another direction. It seems it'd be bad business overall for the league to have everyone updating to similar colors. The hardcore fans will likely make the switch with the team regardless, but you'd think some of that casual fan revenue would be lost, i.e. if me, as a Bulls fan, has a navy Nets jersey just 'cause I like it, why would I pick up one of these? And with the teams splitting the revenues by 30, I'd think unique colors would do more for merchandising than just keeping recolored logos around that won't be used on the unis or even TNT.

I'm with Gothamite that teams/leagues should do all they can to keep colors consistent. Even if it's a Rams-esque modification, it's better than a complete overhaul of colors, especially when they match someone else.

As far as the Hawks, if they really wanted an "Atlanta" theme (which I don't buy at all, considering they were close to the Falcons before), would it have killed them to keep a touch of yellow in the new look, even if it was just piping? Seems that still help them match the Braves.

A bit of the rumored light blue would help make it unique, too... although that's a bit trendy, too. But navy? Ridiculously overused already. My guess is if this team's fortunes don't improve anytime soon, they'll be citing history as a reason to go back to red-and-yellow updated Dominique era or maybe even this most recent look stripped of the unnecessary drop shadows, ala Sonics and Pistons.

Cubs, fans either hate or love the yellow. I for one hated the yellow. It made us look like the whole tea was working at a fast food joint or spilled on the condiments on their jerseys from the concession stand. I like bringing in the navy and silver and taking out yellow. To me yellow doesn't say Atl at all.

Yeah that is the kind of jersey I was talking about. I really like how those are done.

untitled-2.jpg

Here's an alt - basically just a color reversal of the current roads:

AtlantaHawks_PropAltUnis.gif

that should be the primary IMO... it would be better than looking like the nets... and it would be mroe in focus with the Braves and Falcons having a red one as their main type of JErsey...

Archived