Jim Everett's "Phantom Sack"

Slater

This is one play that I can't recall ever seeing, although it's been written about to some degree. Evidently during a Rams-49ers game in 1989, Everett went down before 49er defenders ever reached him, and seemed to be gun shy from that point on.

Anyone know of a source that has a video clip of that play?

This is still the best Jim Everett video ever

If this is what got Jim Rome to start calling Jim Everett Chris, then he deserved that name 100%. Lmao @ a phantom sack.

Of course, Brett Favre once gave up a "phantom sack" as well, but at least in his case it was for a kinda-sorta good "cause" (namely, to give his buddy Michael Strahan the single-season sack record). "Chris" Everett doesn't have that excuse.

CCSLC signature.png

Of course, Brett Favre once gave up a "phantom sack" as well, but at least in his case it was for a kinda-sorta good "cause" (namely, to give his buddy Michael Strahan the single-season sack record). "Chris" Everett doesn't have that excuse.

How is that cause in any way good? That's like a pitcher throwing a BP ball to Bonds when he's at 755 just so Steroid Man can hit the record homer off him. It dilutes the meaning of the game.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Not to mention it took the sack record from one of the poster children for 1980s NFL steroid abuse.

If this is what got Jim Rome to start calling Jim Everett Chris, then he deserved that name 100%. Lmao @ a phantom sack.

You are aware that Chris Everett used to be a tennis player, right? I'm referring to the actual Chris Everett...

Now if Rome calls him that because the real Chris Everett is a woman, then it makes sense.

You are aware that Chris Everett used to be a tennis player, right? I'm referring to the actual Chris Everett...

Now if Rome calls him that because the real Chris Everett is a woman, then it makes sense.

That's Chris Evert.

I saw, I came, I left.

That's Chris Evert.

Wow, I never knew that's how her name was spelled... go figure, but then again she was around when I was a kid.

How is that cause in any way good? That's like a pitcher throwing a BP ball to Bonds when he's at 755 just so Steroid Man can hit the record homer off him. It dilutes the meaning of the game.

So would you feel the same way if a picther gave up a gopher ball to someone so he could pass up Bonds? Because that's essentially what Brett did.

Of course, if the NFL actually kept stats for tackles and sacks in the 60's, we wouldn't even be having this debate (see: Deacon Jones).

So would you feel the same way if a picther gave up a gopher ball to someone so he could pass up Bonds? Because that's essentially what Brett did.

Yes, I would. Records aren't to recognize players who we think are deserving, they are to recognize people who did the most of something within the parameters of the game.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived