Padres Camo's

jojotarantino

I have a huge, sentimental man-crush on the Padres camo uniforms too, but part of me has to ask:

In what possible way does it "honor the troops" for a bunch of extraordinarily strong and fit young civilians of military age to play dress-up in soldier's uniforms while playing a game for money? While, incidentally, wearing the U.S. flag on their uniforms in violation of century-old standards of patriotic etiquette and the U.S. Flag Code?

There are lots of effective ways for individuals to honor or support America's soldiers, and a public organization like a big-league baseball team is in a great position to act as a multiplier for such efforts. Fundraising, public service announcements, hosting recruitment drives and USO events -- a minimally creative person, in half an hour, could come up with a list of dozens of great ways for a big, public organization to take meaningful action on behalf of our soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines, our military veterans, and the war effort. Civilians playing dress-up in soldier clothes just doesn't rate.

Then again, maybe I'm just an old-fashioned curmudgeon. I do seem to be the only person at any given ballpark who is bothered by the fact that "God Bless America" isn't actually a patriotic song. It's a prayer, and in the course of the thing it doesn't say one single good thing about America, or even offer one reason why God might want to bless this country. "Please God, bless this country and light our way through troubled times. I can't think of a reason why you might want to do so right now, but gosh the waves on our shores do have some foam." (Heck, it's not even a very good prayer. Having mountains, prairies, and oceans isn't a virtue that might merit God's blessing: Having them is God's blessing.) If you're going to sing a patriotic song during a baseball game, couldn't you at least find a song that has something positive to say about the United States of America?

20082614447.png

I like them - I am glad they were them, part of me likes them because the salute our troops, whom my son is part of the force serving in Iraq.

So on a personal level, I like them.

On a graphic level, they are well done - IMO score 9.3/10

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

IWhile, incidentally, wearing the U.S. flag on their uniforms in violation of century-old standards of patriotic etiquette and the U.S. Flag Code?

Is this in relation to the Reverse Field Flag on the uniform sleeves, or just having the flag at all? That's how it is depicted on armed services gear as well, to show that the troops are always moving forward.

If you're arguing against the flag showing up at all on uniforms, this goes beyond the Padres to every MLB team and most football teams who sport it on their helmets.

Always fun to set myself up for a long winded arguement, so lets go.

"The words 'flag, standard, colors, or ensign', as used herein, shall include any flag, standard, colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size evidently purporting to be either of said flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America or a picture or a representation of either, upon which shall be shown the colors, the stars and the stripes, in any number of either thereof, or of any part or parts of either, by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, colors, standard, or ensign of the United States of America."

Uh, doesnt that mean anything with red, white, blue, stars or stripes can be considered an American Flag

** -------

** -------

----------

Oops, I gues that violates the flag code as well. CIA, FBI, Homeland Security, R. Gates and D. Cheney I have violated the flag code, do your worse to me...Gitmo here I come.

(Okay so I went a little to far with that one, but all fun and games)

Usually on thses nights, the local armed forces base is sold tickets at a reduced rate and have family packages for cheap for the enlisted. I think I went to Mariners military appreciation night in the 90's and the tickets were like $5 for my parents and I think my sister and I got free tickets from the school for it.

It is respectful and honoring, but more importantly if they are offering the enlisted families reduced tickets or free tickets it gets the families off post and gives them a fun activity for cheap. I have the stories of living that life (Generic cheerios and water, storing bread in the microwave beacuse that is the only place the cockroaches couldnt get to it)

~~the dmr~~

(damn, i live on student loans now, so i still eat generic cheerios and water. damn it)

I have a huge, sentimental man-crush on the Padres camo uniforms too, but part of me has to ask:

In what possible way does it "honor the troops" for a bunch of extraordinarily strong and fit young civilians of military age to play dress-up in soldier's uniforms while playing a game for money? While, incidentally, wearing the U.S. flag on their uniforms in violation of century-old standards of patriotic etiquette and the U.S. Flag Code?

There are lots of effective ways for individuals to honor or support America's soldiers, and a public organization like a big-league baseball team is in a great position to act as a multiplier for such efforts. Fundraising, public service announcements, hosting recruitment drives and USO events -- a minimally creative person, in half an hour, could come up with a list of dozens of great ways for a big, public organization to take meaningful action on behalf of our soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines, our military veterans, and the war effort. Civilians playing dress-up in soldier clothes just doesn't rate.

Then again, maybe I'm just an old-fashioned curmudgeon. I do seem to be the only person at any given ballpark who is bothered by the fact that "God Bless America" isn't actually a patriotic song. It's a prayer, and in the course of the thing it doesn't say one single good thing about America, or even offer one reason why God might want to bless this country. "Please God, bless this country and light our way through troubled times. I can't think of a reason why you might want to do so right now, but gosh the waves on our shores do have some foam." (Heck, it's not even a very good prayer. Having mountains, prairies, and oceans isn't a virtue that might merit God's blessing: Having them is God's blessing.) If you're going to sing a patriotic song during a baseball game, couldn't you at least find a song that has something positive to say about the United States of America?

You should probably stop worrying about flags on uniforms and read about the Padres relationship with the military before you start bashing them. Here is the link , but I posted the tex below: http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/sd/ticketing/military.jsp

TEAM OF THE MILITARY

Military Opening Night

Presented by Northrop Grumman Corporation

Saturday April 7 at 7:05 p.m. - Padres vs. Colorado

The Padres' tradition of saluting the Military continues with the only Military Opening Night in all of Major League Baseball on Saturday, April 7. The Padres will once again wear their desert camouflage jerseys as a visible salute to all members of the Armed Forces and pre-game ceremonies will honor distinguished members of local Military commands.

Marine Recruit Sundays

Presented by Navy Federal Credit Union, the Padres are proud to host 13 graduating classes from Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego Sunday games at PETCO Park.

Military Group Outings

The Padres encourage Military groups of 20 or more people to enjoy the ultimate baseball experience from the comfort of a PETCO Park premium group facility. Military discounts are also available in the regular seating areas for groups of 25 or more. To reserve a group facility or for more information about Military group tickets for Padres games, call a Padres Group Sales Representative at (619) 795-5500.

On-Field Reenlistments

Hold your reenlistment ceremony on the field before a Major League Baseball game in front of your friends and family. There is no additional cost to use the facility. For more information regarding on-field reenlistment ceremonies or to schedule an event, call (619) 795-5211.

Special Refund Offer on Season Tickets for Military Personnel

Military personnel can enjoy the many benefits of being a Padres Season Ticket Holder without losing tickets due to being transferred. The Padres offer a refund to all active-duty Military Season Ticket Holders for games that cannot be attended due to out-of-local-area PCS orders prior to the season's end. Padres Season Tickets are the best way to secure the best seats to the big games and save big over single game tickets.

Player Appearances

The Padres are proud to be active participants at Military events in the San Diego community. Look for announcements of future Padres player appearances at local Military bases during the 2007 season. For more information, call the Padres player appearance line at (619) 795-5275.

Military Discount Ticket Program

Take advantage of savings on great seats with Military discount tickets for all Padres 2007 regular season home games at PETCO Park, excluding April 6, April 27-28, June 22-24 and Aug. 31-Sept. 1. Military discount tickets are available at the Advance Ticket Windows at PETCO Park and select MWR/MCCS ticket offices with a valid active-duty, dependent, reserve, retired or DOD ID card. The 2007 Military discount is $6 off any available ticket regularly priced $12 or more. For more information, call (619) 795-5211.

NASNI

Building 490

(619) 545-9576

NAVBASE

Fleet Exchange Complex

Building 3301

(619) 556-2180

NAVBASE

Base Theater Ticket Office

Building 71, Pier 2

(619) 556-2174

NAVBASE

Naval Station Exchange

Complex

Building 3187A

(Food Court Lobby)

(619) 556-7498

SPAWAR

OTC, Building 2,

Room 1835

(619) 524-2768

NAB CORONADO

(619) 437-3018

FASW

Maxi Mart

(619) 221-1005

DFAS-SD

4181 Ruffin Road

(858) 616-4940

NAVMEDCTR

Building 2-1

(619) 532-7255

CIVILIAN WELFARE & RECREATION

DOD Civilians

Building 9

(619) 435-0880

CAMP PENDLETON

Building 1339/Mainside

(760) 725-5805

MCAS MIRAMAR

Main Marine Corps

Exchange Complex,

Building 2660

(858) 577-4126/4141

MCRD

Building 16

(619) 725-6343

MCAS MIRAMAR

Building 2524

(858) 577-4126/4141

MILITARY TICKET PROGRAM INFORMATION

(619) 767-6000

I forgot this part

The San Diego Padres are unique in Major League Baseball as the only team with a designated Military Marketing Department. This dedicated military marketing effort was begun in 1995 and has grown stronger over the subsequent years. Today, the Padres provide more military programs and support to the military than any other professional sports team in the country. The relationship established between the Padres and the military in San Diego has earned them the title of "The Team of the Military."

:smileyusa::flagusa: Oh no I violated the policy. God Bless America!!!!

wwwaufderaxemo2.jpg

I only come around here once in a while to annoy you people, and by people I mean you mutha :censored:as.

Along with the Padres unis, team USA wore camo tops with white pants against team Japan yesterday in Durham, NC for the 4th of July celebration. They looked good, I was surprised to see them wearing them, as they're already honoring the country, haha, but they definitely looked good. No matching hat though.

468c7bfa3311f.jpg468c7bfa348a7.jpg

468c7bfa3507f.jpg This last one is Durham Bulls mascot Wool E. Bull getting in on the fun.

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

BallWonk:

Count me among those who are bothered by the whole "God Bless America" mess, but for a different reason:

As an atheist, I know they're coming for me first, and that my beliefs are both disrespected and wrong, and that god's wrath is upon me. I can deal with that...but it's been almost six years since 9-11, and all we've done in response is create an unnecessary, unwieldy and dysfunctional bureaucracy, piss off the world with our treatment of detainees, launch an unnecessary war of choice in Iraq, fail to finish the job in Afghanistan...and make everyone at ballgames sing this effin' song in the seventh inning. What, exactly, is the point?

i lik em'. I think digatal camos wouldnt look as good. (i dont get why the milatary uses them)

Well, we certainly don't base our uniform selection on what "looks good". The ACU (Army Combat Uniform) was designed as a replacement for the BDU (woodland/forest pattern) and DCU (Desert Combat Uniform, like what the Padres were wearing). It was designed to blend in with desert, urban, and some woodland settings.

Though I must say, it would look sharp with black boots and black shirt, but anyway....

Army Commo - "You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!"

Archived