Cards-Brewers Throwing back to 1982

STL FANATIC

The Brewers have been celebrating the 25th anniversary of the 1982 AL Champion club all year. And they've of course had the throwbacks all year.

So on their end nothing is new.

But the Cardinals are joining in as they were the team that played the Brewers in the series that year.

And the Cardinals throwbacks are awful. They're incorrect in a couple ways, and they're really annoying in that they aren't just wrong, they look BAD.

First off, the sleeve stripes are freaking huge. It's awful.

And then, the second thing is the same thing they did last time the Cardinals threw back to pullovers, but it was grey pullovers earlier in the year (tonight's are powder blue).

That second thing of course, is using an embroidered patch with the current Birds on the Bat (slightly different than the ones used in '82), and with a HUGE white outline on the patch. The real things had no white outline.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their respective AAA clubs did the same gimmick in Nashville a few weeks back, well half-a$$ed did it. They only did the jerseys-button up no less! Memphis wore the powder blue tops with grey pants and the usual Redbirds navy road cap while the Sounds had the blue (looked more navy than the royal blue of that Brewer era) pinstripe jersey with the arched Brewers with plain white pants with black piping and the black hat. The gray pants/blue tops were hideous.

RobbyBox2.jpg

The only time I can say that I'm thankful for not having cable, where it is being televised in STL. Went to the uniwatchblog get together in STL, and they said that Cardinals did their part to get the uniforms right, but Majestic didn't. Majestic @#$%&@ sucks!!! Also, where's the socks?

You know what always buugs me about throwback nights in any sport? They NEVER wear the jerseys right.

The uniforms for the baseball game should be a tighter fit, AND everyone shopuld be FORCED to wear stirrups.

I also have problems with other sports like the NBA, (GOD forbid the teams wear the throwback shorts the proper length that they were, oh no they may not be gangsta!)

EDIT: Well, I am a but happy they dont have belt, but elastic waistbands, took majestic long enough to get that right.

You know what always buugs me about throwback nights in any sport? They NEVER wear the jerseys right.

The uniforms for the baseball game should be a tighter fit, AND everyone shopuld be FORCED to wear stirrups.

I also have problems with other sports like the NBA, (GOD forbid the teams wear the throwback shorts the proper length that they were, oh no they may not be gangsta!)

EDIT: Well, I am a but happy they dont have belt, but elastic waistbands, took majestic long enough to get that right.

Had Prince Fielder worn a uniform as baggy as his tonight back in 1982, he would have been laughed out of the league. Unis were tight in the '80s.

Packers-2.png

Had Prince Fielder worn a uniform as baggy as his tonight back in 1982, he would have been laughed out of the league. Unis were tight in the '80s.

Even guys who normally wear tighter fitting uniforms had really baggy unis during this game. I don't get it. Why can't they get some better fitting uniforms?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Oh really?

72865615.jpg

capt_bc7ef91a4de44b94b469e71bed23d0.jpg

The Cardinals did it right in 2005 in a series against the DRays. The uniforms then were made by Mitchell and Ness, these by Majestic. There was so much wrong with the uniforms tonight that it hurts my head to think about them. The 'correct' uniforms are availible on stlcardinals.com, as they actually have Edmonds and Mulder jersey tops left from that series ($325).

The grey 'pajama' tops they wore earlier this year were worse but didn't have a direct parellel (the 2005 M&N) unis to compare to. The Cardinals and Majestic should be ashamed for having these seen by the public.

2005 Mitchell and Ness 1982

Pujols2.jpg

2007 Majestic 1970's

CALI101051123_1024x768.jpg

2007 Majestic 1982

WIMG104081421_1024x768.jpg

The most important thing of all, which I forgot to point out, is the wordmark. It is the modern wordmark, not the classic 'thin' birds on the bat the Cardinals had from the 60's thru the 90's.

elbirdosjerseys-1-1.jpg

Don't worry hardcore, I already pointed out the wordmark (ie Birds on the Bat logo) being wrong.

I do have to disagree saying the grey jersey was more poorly done than the powder blue.

They both have the wrong logo with the cheap patch with the huge incorrect white outline.

But at least the grey jerseys had the sleeve stripes the right thickness.

The rounded color on the grey jerseys was correct (depending on the year, but I believe they got it right).

Either way, they've both sucked so far. But I tend to put the blame more on Majestic than the Cardinals. I'd even put it on the Brewers more than the Cardinals. No, not because I'm unwilling to blame the Cardinals, but because it's not been their throwback nights, and I doubt they did much more than agree to wear some jerseys supplied to them. Had they worn such inaccurate jerseys at home, then I'd lay some heavy blame on them.

I'm surprised the Brewers went to the trouble of a new set of jerseys, considering they wear throwbacks on Fridays, but I'm glad they did. It's too bad the Cardinals did not use those M&N versions from a couple years back... they really do look better.

But, if the players aren't on board and pulling the pants up and wearing stirrups, I guess we shouldn't expect the uni details to matter to them, either. They could be exact replicas of the era and it still would look off if they didn't wear them the same way. (Although I understand the desire to keep these unis loose.... no need to wear them overtight, just as no NBA team really needs to wear the supershort shorts.) And I think I just contradicted myself, so I'll stop right there.

Your observations are correct. First of all I apologize for starting a new topic on this game..I didnt catch this one. The sleeve stripes were over sized and the white outline was annoying but my comment in my post was that I like the powder blue road uniforms in general. This is coming from a baseball traditionalist and I respect the tradition behind gray road uniforms but for some reason the powder blue ones just look nice to me.

Either way, they've both sucked so far. But I tend to put the blame more on Majestic than the Cardinals. I'd even put it on the Brewers more than the Cardinals. No, not because I'm unwilling to blame the Cardinals, but because it's not been their throwback nights, and I doubt they did much more than agree to wear some jerseys supplied to them. Had they worn such inaccurate jerseys at home, then I'd lay some heavy blame on them.

So I suppose its Milwaukee's fault that Budweiser tastes like piss, too, huh? :P

Badger_zps8961c467.png

Archived