2007-08 NHL Season Thread

Viper

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"It was a very important goal for my team. The guys know if I don't score and somebody else score I will be happy too, but 60 is 60." -Alex Ovechkin, class, pure class.

and about Ovechkin's goal, I believe that we have a new "Jagr in Washington, Lemieux in Pittsburgh situation"(even though when Jagr scored 62 and Lemieux scored 69, 12 seasons ago they were both ironicly in Pittsburgh)...only better.

With Crosby, Malkin in Pittsburgh & Ovechkin, Backstrom in Washington plus the Sergei Gonchar situation and him playing most of his career in Washington adds to the irony of it all, this is going to be one hell of a rivalry for the next decade or so!!

if we could only learn to beat the :censored:ers! :cursing: LOL

Hey, I dont mind. :D

curses have to be broken at some point right?

Not nessicarily... ask the Cubs.

Anyways, last night was the second 7-1 blowout ive been to in a row. There was a real playoff atmosphere, including the classic goalie heckling. "maaaarrrrtyyyyy" "Theyre comin for ya marty!" "Here they come Marty!". These blowouts recently have been nice, but it makes you wonder if they can keep it up through the playoffs.

oBIgzrL.png

Anyways, last night was the second 7-1 blowout ive been to in a row. There was a real playoff atmosphere, including the classic goalie heckling. "maaaarrrrtyyyyy" "Theyre comin for ya marty!" "Here they come Marty!". These blowouts recently have been nice, but it makes you wonder if they can keep it up through the playoffs.

Granted, I don't get to see many Penguins games, but it seems like they play better when Crosby's not in the lineup......

Trade Crosby? ^_^

Am I the only one taking sick pleasure in watching the Senators fall from the toast of the league to a team which could drop out of playoff contention? Something about watching a train derail which makes it hard to advert your eyes...

Can you imagine Ottawa falling out and Toronto sneaking in? The last game between the two will be the most crucial game played between these two teams since Game 7 in the playoffs back in '04. The seeding is going down to the wire and if each of the teams fighting for a spot - Washington, Philadelphia, Boston, Toronto - continue at their current pace, both Toronto and Washington could be looking down on not only Boston and Philadelphia, but possibly Ottawa...

Seeing that happen would make my life this summer so much easier than what I had to put up with last year until Game 5 of the finals...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Can you imagine Ottawa falling out and Toronto sneaking in?
No.

Ottawa is 9 points up on Toronto with 6 games to go.

Well... after tonight it is no longer possible... but if you knew math, Toronto could have won all 6 games and recieved 12 points while Ottawa could have lost all of them and we would have jumped them. It was possible before they let Boston beat them senseless.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

No.

Well... after tonight it is no longer possible... but if you knew math, Toronto could have won all 6 games and recieved 12 points while Ottawa could have lost all of them and we would have jumped them. It was possible before they let Boston beat them senseless.

Thanks, Neon, and FYI, I "know math."

If you look at what I quoted ("Can you imagine...?") I responded "no" meaning, "No, I can't imagine that happening."

I was being a realist, rather than just looking at the mathematics.

In other news, the Canucks are playing themselves out of the playoffs and are on the outside looking in.

The good news: Last 4 games are all at home.

The bad news: 4 game losing streak, no improvement/urgency/talent shown. All against playoff teams. All against the tough Northwest. Nashville has 3 games left against non-playoff teams.

Yep, I'm optimistic.

No.

Thanks, Neon, and FYI, I "know math."

If you look at what I quoted ("Can you imagine...?") I responded "no" meaning, "No, I can't imagine that happening."

I was being a realist, rather than just looking at the mathematics.

In other news, the Canucks are playing themselves out of the playoffs and are on the outside looking in.

The good news: Last 4 games are all at home.

The bad news: 4 game losing streak, no improvement/urgency/talent shown. All against playoff teams. All against the tough Northwest. Nashville has 3 games left against non-playoff teams.

Yep, I'm optimistic.

It seems like Luongo the only who give a :censored:, they need to go back to the tough defence system that won them the Northwest last year.

Well, my team is officially out of the playoffs scene. We had a good run (no we didn't) and now once again Hockey in Toronto ends before the snow fully melts away. I'll be pulling for Carolina, Washington (who better make it in! Freiggin love Alexander the Gr8) and Pittsburgh in the East and Anaheim, Detroit and San Jose in the West. Although, Anahem and Carolina are the ones I'd love to see in the finals... pulled for Carolina the whole way through 2 years ago and Anaheim last year, so I can't ditch em now.

Time to bunker down and switch into baseball mode... COME ON JAYS!!!!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Well, my team is officially out of the playoffs scene. We had a good run (no we didn't) and now once again Hockey in Toronto ends before the snow fully melts away. I'll be pulling for Carolina, Washington (who better make it in! Freiggin love Alexander the Gr8) and Pittsburgh in the East and Anaheim, Detroit and San Jose in the West. Although, Anahem and Carolina are the ones I'd love to see in the finals... pulled for Carolina the whole way through 2 years ago and Anaheim last year, so I can't ditch em now.

So basically the top teams? Excluding Washington.

Hi, how are you?

Well, I guess that is how it worked out more or less. Let me break it down for you.

Carolina - Cheered for them since the first round back in the '06 playoffs.

Washington - Because I like Ovechkin a lot, along with their jerseys

Pittsburgh - Malkin has grown a lot on me, and I'd like to see Roberts win another cup so he can retire in style.

Anaheim - Pulled for them back in '03 (I was mad at Detroit at that time for some reason, so I was rooting against them for fun) and pulled for them last year too since the beginning.

Detroit - I have always had a soft spot for them because I have been there many times and really enjoy the city. I also think Chris Draper is awesome (Met him last year - VERY nice guy).

San Jose - I like Joe Thornton and would like to see him accomplish something for once in his career, in addition, my friend has gone there a few times at christmas and has brought me back Sharks gear every time (I have a shirt from 4 years ago and a hat from this past winter).

So now do you see why I am pulling for these teams? :P

I'd be going for Vancouver but I just don't feel that I could bare to see any kind of merchandise with BOTH the whale and script on it... As for Montreal, I'd rather see them make it to the finals over Ottawa any time. ^_^

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Well, I guess that is how it worked out more or less. Let me break it down for you.

Carolina - Cheered for them since the first round back in the '06 playoffs.

Washington - Because I like Ovechkin a lot, along with their jerseys

Pittsburgh - Malkin has grown a lot on me, and I'd like to see Roberts win another cup so he can retire in style.

Anaheim - Pulled for them back in '03 (I was mad at Detroit at that time for some reason, so I was rooting against them for fun) and pulled for them last year too since the beginning.

Detroit - I have always had a soft spot for them because I have been there many times and really enjoy the city. I also think Chris Draper is awesome (Met him last year - VERY nice guy).

San Jose - I like Joe Thornton and would like to see him accomplish something for once in his career, in addition, my friend has gone there a few times at christmas and has brought me back Sharks gear every time (I have a shirt from 4 years ago and a hat from this past winter).

So now do you see why I am pulling for these teams? :P

I'd be going for Vancouver but I just don't feel that I could bare to see any kind of merchandise with BOTH the whale and script on it... As for Montreal, I'd rather see them make it to the finals over Ottawa any time. ^_^

Really didn't have to do all that for lil ol' me, I was just stating the connection. :P

I'm pretty much going for the same teams in the west except for Anaheim I just find they get away with so much, not that that is why they won the cup.

I still think San Jose is going to win it all, have always liked Detroit too, classy organization, that always seem to be at the top.

I would want washington in the playoffs for Ovechkin's sake but they have had our number this year so on the odd chance we get anywhere in the playoffs, well I just wouldn't want to play them, or Boston for that matter, ugh the future is bleak.

Hi, how are you?

Washington is now seriously close to reaching the final spot in the east. With the Habs who've just about clinched the top spot, The Caps are one team I'm cheering for the time being. It's not just because of Cristobal, but it would be nice to see Ovechkin and the other newer players get some playoff action. A likely scenario would be the Habs vs the Caps in the first round. I'm hoping for something more of a 2nd round confrontation.

let see who to root for:

New York Islanders - Eliminated. not that anyone on Long Island was paying attention anyway.

Buffalo Sabres - Eliminated.

Columbus Blue Jackets - Eliminated.

I'm going with the Flyers and Habs. Habs for reasons you already know and flyers because Downie is a favorite of mine.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Heres to hoping the pens catch the habsfor first in the conference (somehow) and the caps, a team they have owned for decades, get the 8 seed. Sure, Malkin wont get the MVP because of Ovechkin leading the caps to the playoffs, but im sure he wouldnt mind trading that in for what could await him and the team later on.

Either way, wed face Boston, Philly, or Washington. Two of which weve had troubles with earlier in the season but their seasons have been on a downward path recently, and another that weve owned regularly for over a decade.

oBIgzrL.png

let see who to root for:

New York Islanders - Eliminated. not that anyone on Long Island was paying attention anyway.

Buffalo Sabres - Eliminated.

Columbus Blue Jackets - Eliminated.

I'm going with the Flyers and Habs. Habs for reasons you already know and flyers because Downie is a favorite of mine.

You do know I bought a Downie Flyers road jersey....right?

IMG_4456.jpg

Wow, you just became one of my new favourite people on here with that. I'm no longer alone with liking the guy (mainly because I watched him play junior in Peterborough and thought he was one of the best guys to watch on the ice). I just hope he gets some ice time again... they've benched his ass for the past 8 or 10 games. If you get REALLY board, check facebook for the 'Steve Downie jersey owners' group... yea, I made it, lol.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Archived