Bobby Petrino QUITS

agentrygraphics

I honestly wouldn't care if we traded everyone besides Norwood and Boley.

Me either. Seriously. Norwood, Pro Boley, Roddy White, and maybe Laurent Robinson can stay. Everybody else can let the door hit them where the dog should've bit them.

D-Hall can stay too. During an interview. he just laid into Petrino for giving up on this team and organization. That means that Hall still wants to be a Falcon, and still wants to try and fix this...somehow.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was the most awkward press conference I've ever seen. I thought Petrino, was supposed to be "exciting".

I'm paraphrasing but:

"I believe in running the football. Running it when you need to run it. Running it when you have to.

I believe in passing the football. Passing it when you need to pass it. Passing it when you have to.

I believe defenses should stop the run and pressure the quarterback."

Really? That's your philosophy? You're going to run the football and pass the football. On Defense you want to stop the run. And hurry the pass.

Where have I heard that before? Oh that's right. EVERY FOOTBALL COACH I'VE HAD SINCE MIDDLE SCHOOL. My pee-wee coach would have said it too, but I was to big to play pee-wee football.

What is he supposed to say? "My text messages are my business, jackarses!"? I hope the pig calls didn't scare him.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This is why i don't like bringing a college head coach strait to the head coaching position. I remember having discussions with fans about this. There were a few homers that wanted to bring Urban Meyer and that guy out of boise state as our head coach. i'm thinking for every Jimmy Johnson we get 10 that fail. Steve Spurrior, Nick Saban etc come to mind. (i know we had gunsmoke for a few years out of OU but he inherited a HOF team. My neighbor could have coached that team to a Super bowl).

Petrino is about to go from the frying pan to the blue part of the flame. Them in arkansas are nuts, it is either BCS championship or bust, and when its bust it usually involves angry mobs on the door step with torches, pitchforks ready to run your ass out of town. just getting to the SEC championship will probaby get you ran out of town. So good luck to him there, SEC country is a whole different animal than Falcon country is. At least in atlanta, fans simply don't show up or come dressed as empty seats.

As for the falcons, i hear Norv Turner maybe out the door at the end of the season so thats an option. Marty ball is still available, and if Jason Garret bolts at the end of the season for a head coaching job, he might be available. if all else fails, theres always Wayne Fontes, who if im not mistaken is the only coach to make the lions resemble something of a respectable NFL team

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Schottenheimer is an interesting option given the Falcons' current situation. Guy has been successful wherever he's been; he's a leader and runs a class organization from all accounts. He's the polar opposite of assclowns like Petrino. Saw a clip of him as Chiefs coach talking to the late Derrick Thomas on the sideline. Obviously Thomas had made some kind of critical mistake that allowed the opponent to score and take the game to overtime. Thomas was staring into space, very upset. This may not be the exact wording, but Marty was like, "Listen to me, Derrick. Look at me, young man." (Thomas looks at him.) "We need your head in the game. It's nothing-nothing now and we still have a chance to win. We need you, and we need you at your best." In other words, showing leadership and respect to a player, and actually motivating the guy, at a time when a lot of coaches would be off the chain.

Wait a minute, why am I offering ideas to our mortal enemies? I changed my mind...I hope they grab Norv Turner away from San Diego. That's worked out so well for the Chargers. :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

On 680 The Fan this morning in Atlanta (home station of John Kincade for all you ESPN Radio listeners...he fills in for Cowherd from time to time) they brought up a good point on the morning show...

...ever since we got Petrino, Atlanta has automatically had it in their heads that our draft pick, no matter how high...would be Brohm out of Louisville, Petrino's QB for Petrino's offense.

..NOW what do we do?

McFadden and try to groom him as Vick 2.0? As much as ATL needs some solid CB's and defensive backfield...we're no 2000 Ravens team...our offense cannot survive if we build up a strong defense...

...As a fellow ATL poster here...I agree that this is an absolute TRAINWRECK of a situation for this organization. There's nowhere to go from here.

No, we're not the Dolphins...but it seems that the Falcons are imploding from the inside-out.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I think the falcons could remedy this if they target a players coach in Singletary or Frazier from Minnesota. Granted, defensive coaches aren't the best head coaches, but they rally players and have less of an agenda than most pompous offensive coaches. In today's NFL, there is always the possibility of the quick fix. I feel for the falcons, but they should have known better than to hire a guy who walked out on a 7 year contract extension with Louisville after only one year. This guy signed the 7-year extension, then signed a 5-year contract with Atlanta, now he's signed a 4-year contract with Arkansas. If this jerkoff has signed 16 years worth of contracts in 2 years, you know the guys unreliable and untrustworthy.

Mike and Mike this morning made some good points about this really hurting Arkansas' credibility and recruiting. Who would want their kids to play for a guy who won't fulfill contractual obligations, lie to his general manager, players, athletic directors, and who knows who else? Ugh.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Falcons are going to go after a guy who's had previous NFL head coaching experience. They've tried the unproven route (Jim Mora Jr.), and they've tried the college HC route (Petrino), and both of those have blown up in their face. They likely won't take one of those paths again.

That same Kincade a previous poster mentioned earlier brought up a name that would suprise folks, but would make a lot of sense: Eagles coach Andy Reid. He and Arthur Blank have a personal and professional relationship and respect for each other. And with the way Reid's year has gone in Philadelphia, there is a chance that he opts out or resigns from Philadelphia, to get a fresh start.

Mike and Mike this morning made some good points about this really hurting Arkansas' credibility and recruiting. Who would want their kids to play for a guy who won't fulfill contractual obligations, lie to his general manager, players, athletic directors, and who knows who else? Ugh.

The ones who don't mind taking money from boosters and lying about it? Let's not be naive--everyone knows college football is corrupt, and I don't think such morals are too highly considered. It's more about what program will get their son on TV and best prepare them for the NFL, and in some cases who is the highest bidder.

This is why i don't like bringing a college head coach strait to the head coaching position. I remember having discussions with fans about this. There were a few homers that wanted to bring Urban Meyer and that guy out of boise state as our head coach. i'm thinking for every Jimmy Johnson we get 10 that fail. Steve Spurrior, Nick Saban etc come to mind. (i know we had gunsmoke for a few years out of OU but he inherited a HOF team. My neighbor could have coached that team to a Super bowl).

Lou Holtz also crapped the bed in the NFL.

Whatever, just no Bill Cowher...I don't want him in the Saints' division. <_<

Bill Cowher ain't coming back anytime soon, if at all. The sooner the media gets used to that idea the better off we'll be.

This is why i don't like bringing a college head coach strait to the head coaching position. I remember having discussions with fans about this. There were a few homers that wanted to bring Urban Meyer and that guy out of boise state as our head coach. i'm thinking for every Jimmy Johnson we get 10 that fail.

It's more like all the rest have failed. I can't think of another college coach who did well in the NFL. Paul Brown maybe. There may be more from back in the day but I can't think of any. There have been none that succeeded after Jimmy Johnson.

BB52Big.jpg

Bill Cowher ain't coming back anytime soon, if at all. The sooner the media gets used to that idea the better off we'll be.

This is why i don't like bringing a college head coach strait to the head coaching position. I remember having discussions with fans about this. There were a few homers that wanted to bring Urban Meyer and that guy out of boise state as our head coach. i'm thinking for every Jimmy Johnson we get 10 that fail.

It's more like all the rest have failed. I can't think of another college coach who did well in the NFL. Paul Brown maybe. There may be more from back in the day but I can't think of any. There have been none that succeeded after Jimmy Johnson.

Barry Switzer.

Barry Switzer.

(i know we had gunsmoke for a few years out of OU but he inherited a HOF team. My neighbor could have coached that team to a Super bowl).

What he said.

What did Barry do after he coached Jimmy's team to it's third Super Bowl? Went 6-10 and resigned.

BB52Big.jpg

Did you hear the Falcons' comments on Petrino leaving? It was BRUTAL, they absolutely tore into him. I think one of them even mentioned that he was "all smiles" after hearing the news. Whatever the guy did in such a short amount of time certainly didn't endear him to the players at all.

DeAngelo Hall was on the Best Damn Sports Show period and had nothing but negative things to say towards Petrino.

When asked if part of him was glad Petrino was gone he said "Ohhhhhh ya, I'm VERY glad he's gone."

He went on to say many of the Falcons players had given up on Petrino and weren't playing as well as they could because they hated Petrino so much.

Take it for what it's worth, but that's shocking.

Barry Switzer.

(i know we had gunsmoke for a few years out of OU but he inherited a HOF team. My neighbor could have coached that team to a Super bowl).

What he said.

What did Barry do after he coached Jimmy's team to it's third Super Bowl? Went 6-10 and resigned.

Don't forget carry a gun through the airport.

Tom Coughlin? 14-2 with an AFC Championship game appearance and a +.500 record with the Jaguars in his seasons there. No Super Bowl but no college to pros bust either.

Bobby Ross? Led San Diego to their only Super Bowl appearance and the Lions to their last playoff appearance.

Archived