NFL Redesign Blowout!

andrewharrington

Let me start by pointing out the obvious: I did some things that probably won't go over well with some people. Traditionalists love the Steelers' uniforms, and so does the U. of Iowa. I love those throwback jerseys they rolled out this year and I think there should be more two-color teams. The gold numbers on the black jerseys won me over, and it shows in this concept. I pared the sleeve stripes down to actually fit on today's sleeves, and since I was going two-color, the multi-colored logo started to bug me and just wasn't working with what I had, so that's been changed to the team color as well, and it's better than I had anticipated. This set also looked great with gold helmets, but that belongs to the Packers, in my opinion.

The only thing I was going to change for the Browns was adding a white facemask because, well, that's all that's really needed, but I decided that was a total cop-out and I went back to the orange pants to really make this different than what they current;y wear. They've never worn the current classic jersey and the orange pants together at any time during their history, but it's a look that I really like, and it's very unique as well. I don't think these are better or worse than the current pants, but they're different, and I promised to change at least one thing for every team. Oh, I guess there's a new logo as well; an updated Brownie elf.

The Ravens present a unique challenge because the two dominant colors are both really dark. The big changes here include new numbers (I can't stand the current ones) and a Maryland flag-inspired pant stripe. The new jersey shares the relative spareness and simplicity of the current model.

There's a lot of black in this division between the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals (and also a lot of orange, I know) but I had to make due with what I was given: a choice between a predominantly black uniform or a mostly orange one. I chose orange to differentiate the Bengals from the Steelers (at least you could aways fall back on a black alternate). The Browns don't wear orange jerseys (anymore) so I feel the look is different enough. Out is the striped B, in is the tiger head.

steelers.gif

browns.gif

ravens.gif

bengals.gif

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Here are my takes:

Im not too much a fan of that Steelers one.....it jsut doesnt say Steelers to me. I think it looks ok, its just that I dont think it would work, especially having just a black and gold Steelers logo. Id say that if you used the primary they have now with that concept it would look alot better.

The Browns one is perhaps my favorite out of all four of these. I LOVE the updated Brownie logo, as that has been a logo I have always loved. I think, however, the Browns look better in white pants. Other than that, this is a great concept.

The ravens one needs a different number font, more namely the one they have now. That has to stay. Put that in, and the Ravens concept is a winner.

The Bengals on is my other favorite. I'm diggin' the orange jersey. I honestly cant think of anything wrong on that one. Great work there.

Overall, I'll give the package a B+, because of the whole Steelers thing and the Ravens font. But with a couple of tweaks here and there, this is an A+grade package. Great work, I'll give you a pat on the back here. Really nice work!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

I personally am not a big fan of the Steelers uniforms, just because of all the stripes. I think you nailed the Steelers. Very simple, but I am surprised at how good it looks. I'm gonna have to disagree with the last poster, the Ravens font is VERY nice looking, just try switching black/gold outline to make it more visible. Same with the pants. The Bengals is simple but effective, a nice clean look.

My problem is with the Browns. When I did my NHL redesign not too long ago, I was criticized for basically just making very small tweaks to some of the original 6 teams, all of which have classic looks. I argued that they didn't need to be changed, but someone said that it was a redesign project, so sometimes you have to go out on a limb, and put something out there. This was good advice, so I am making that point now. Of course your Browns unis look fine, its just that you didn't redesign them.

I'm, also, not a big fan of the steelers set, but it could work.

Browns-Exactly what I wish they'd wear someday. It's perfect.

Ravens-Like it a lot, not lovin the pants striping though. I know it's suppose to reflect on the MAryland flag. But I'm not really feeling it. It might work though.

Bengals-I like orange being the dominant color. Nice

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Steelers- I really like what you did with them, the simpler stripes are good and I like just black and gold. I think the gold helmet might look better.

Browns- I think the home would look better with white pants. Other than that, it's just what the Browns should wear.

Ravens- I think this would look better with the old font, and the pants stripes don't look good, just go with straight stripes.

Bengals- I like the much simpler look and orange as the main color. This would be great if they were to wear these.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I really like all the concepts, I'd love to see a different Ravens logo, cause its wack as hell, but thats clearly not your main concern. Only other issue is how the stripes on the sleeves will look when viewed from the side...

plmiddlesbrough.pngncaancarolina.pngligue1lyon-1.png

Could somebody please find Ja Rule so I can make sense of all this?!?! Help me Ja!!!

Steelers - I love the uniforms, but the helmet has to have the logo the way it is. I would like to see the yellow helmet from the throwbacks with these.

Browns - Unless you told me I wouldn't notice a difference between these and any other Browns uniforms. That's a good thing. Like the orange pants as opposed to brown.

Ravens - These are great. I'd like to see a new logo for them... they're 0-2 in my book on logo designs.

Bengals- These are my favorites. I've always hated the current Bengals uniforms. I think all I would do to these is maybe have the tiger stripes go down the side panels on both jerseys. Overall great stuff again!

Steelers: Pros - better font; Cons - lack of white in home jersey, 2-color logo

Browns: Pros - revised brownie, white facemask, drop AL logo; Cons - orange pants

Ravens: Pros - revised logo, better font; pant stripes, dropping the shield

Bengals: Pros - addition of bengal head; Cons - switch to orange primary, orange pants, orange numbers (it's just too much)

Overall: Pros - seems well thought out alternatives; Cons - solid color socks (ya just gotta have white and the solid white has to have something added. This isn't college, you know. :) )

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

ya just gotta have white and the solid white has to have something added. This isn't college, you know. :)

I just hate having the bottom part of the sock white. It looks so bush league to me, especially when the team has little or no white in its uniform (Raiders). To address some other points, 1.) It's a redesign project in the sense that I'm redesigning whatever needs to be redesigned in order for the uniform to look how I want it, whether that be the logo, helmet or uniform, I'm redesigning something for every team, because they could all use some sort of help. 2.) Side note: I created a new 'standard block' that I've been using for the teams that use traditional block numerals, and I did use it on the Browns' set in place of the current numerals (as well as the Steelers, Bills and Dolphins). I also created some other custom block numerals (for the Jets and Ravens) that I really like and will probably use on some future concepts. 3.) The U.S. Steel logo often appeared in one color when it was used in its various applications, like on the backs of whipped cream containers, for example. That's where I got the idea to try it, in fact. 4.) The combinations depicted in these concepts aren't necessarily the preferred sets, but are intended to show all the available garments as they would be used. For example, I actually like the Bengals better in white pants with orange socks on the road rather than orange pants and white socks, but I've shown it this way in order to give the public and idea of what the orange pants look like in their preferred setting. I also chose not to depict any alternates at this time, but the Bengals are a good example of a team that can wear a black alternate, and can look good in black pants (with the orange shirt) or in black socks (with white or orange pants).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I can't add much about these that hasn't already been said. They are fantastic. The only one that I think needs some tinkering is the Ravens. The stripes on the white pants aren't too visible.

You have sold me on the idea of solid colored socks. I think the league should change its ridiculous "some white must appear at the bottom" rule and go with socks that look like the ones you design.

These are alright, I guess. As a Bengals fan, I must say that those orange pants HAVE GOT TO GO! Oh, and thanks for dropping that 'striped B' logo, by the way.

Those Steelers unis are freakin' AWESOME, by the way.

Sigs are for sissies.

I really like The Steelers set. I'm not crazy about the black pants and I'd stick with the current logo but the rest of it is great.

Your Browns idea looks great as is.

The Ravens jerseys are an upgrade. Their current number font is ridiculous. That helmet needs some help too but you took an awful uniform and made it look as good as it could without a total makeover.

Nice try but there's just no way of saving The Bengals.

Not feeling the dark socks on any of them.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm just curious here, so check this out. The more I look at the Bengals' uniforms throughout their history, the more I think the tiger stripes are overdone on the uniform. I love the tiger stripe helmet, and I believe that has always been the best and most original element of the Bengals' set. The helmet has been the signature 'Bengals' thing since they adopted it. I never cared for the jersey as much as I did the helmet all these years, and if ever a team was going to change a uniform element with as much history as the Bengals' tiger stripe sleeves, it may as well be them due to their countless years of futility between those rare playoff appearances. It got me thinking, what if the jerseys were toned down a bit with a simple and traditional stripe pattern that could carry to the socks, leaving the tiger stripes to the helmet and pants? What do you guys think about it? It's interesting, and to tell you the truth, I like it. I find it a refreshing departure from the overdone tiger sleeves and orange yoke of past and current. I know the rule a lot of people live by is, 'matching stripes make a great uniform', but I find as much (if not more) beauty in an intentional and deliberate contrast between stripe patterns as in perfectly matching stripe patterns, as long as your pattern (generally) appears in more than one place on the uniform. And before anyone says anything, I realize those numerals and those stripes together make it look like the Bears, but picture it with block numerals or something.

bengalsalt.gif

Archived