Worst sports injury ever?

roxfan00

eduardo_ap.jpg

dud4.jpg

Eduardo suffers horror break

Arsenal striker facing lengthy spell on sidelines

Arsenal striker Eduardo da Silva suffered an horrific broken leg in the opening minutes of the Premier League clash with Birmingham.

The Croatia international was challenged by Birmingham's Martin Taylor in the third minute of the game at St Andrews with the centre-back being shown an immediate red card by referee Mike Dean.

Eduardo's clearly distressed team-mates immediately signalled to the sidelines that urgent attention was required and the game was held up for seven minutes as he received treatment on the field.

The injury was deemed to be so serious that replays of the incident were not shown on television.

Photographs of the challenge and the immediate aftermath suggest the injury is similar to the break suffered by Manchester United forward Alan Smith during their FA Cup defeat at Liverpool in 2006.

Eduardo is now facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines and is certain to miss the remainder of this campaign and Croatia's Euro 2008 challenge in the summer.

After being stretchered off the field, he was immediately taken to hospital for further treatment.

The Brazil-born striker moved to Emirates Stadium from Dinamo Zagreb last summer and had scored 12 goals in his first 30 appearances for Arsene Wenger's side.

Sky Sports

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus almighty. How does that even happen? That's like cartoon-horror violence. I keep looking back at it, because I don't believe what I'm seeing and can't understand how it's possible, short of a player wielding an incredibly sharp machete.

*shudder* I just hope the guy's able to recover.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Jesus almighty. How does that even happen? That's like cartoon-horror violence. I keep looking back at it, because I don't believe what I'm seeing and can't understand how it's possible, short of a player wielding an incredibly sharp machete.

*shudder* I just hope the guy's able to recover.

That was my reaction when I saw it. It just doesn't look right. Horrible, horrible injury.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

For those of us with weak stomachs can you please warn everybody before you show a bone outside the body? I hate to be a nag but it would be greatly appreciated.

Dude, the title was "Worst sports injury ever?" Hello?

Very high, late tackle. Nasty compound fracture. It's not life-threatening or anything, but it'll take a while to heal up.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Bad yes. But not even close to the visual of Joe Theisman or the life altering Daryl Stingley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i_bJv_0z-k

Actually if you do a google search on sports injuries you will find many many more. Not including Evil Knevel's entire body of work.

Maybe this is the worst soccer injury of the year, that was caught on tape.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I was watching this game and the first camera angle it just looked like a very clumsy and late challenge. It didn't look like much in it. The commentators wouldn't show replays.

Similar to Nathan Brown's in the AFL

... and in that case you can literally see how broken that tibia was. :wow:

....and guess what? Those were not even the worst photos of the Eduardo injury

I saw, I came, I left.

It looks like its snapped at the bottom end of the shin guard. Have a look in comparison to the other leg.It's like same spot as where the arrow is on the other leg. The first angle didn't look that bad, but sometimes the camera can be blindsided,

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

That's an awful tackle.

I can't see it being intentional, but obviously misplaced. Obviously not a life threatening injury, but a career threatening one. I'd be surprised if he comes back next season.

G-dspeed, Eduardo.

philly.png

Nothing was worse then Clint Milarchuk, it trully is a miracle he survived.

Agreed 100%...

If we were to put criteria on what makes it the WORST, I am convinced Mlarchuk's would come out as teh top...

Not that we should try to find the worst... It doesn't make one less of a tragedy...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Archived