Your Favorite Teams?

TheGodfather

NFL: Minnesota Vikings (I have also grown a soft spot for the Cowboys because of staying in texas for so long)

NBA: Minnesota Timberwolves and I have been watching a few pistons games

NCAAF: Minnesota Golden Gophers

MLB: Minnesota Twins and I have adopted the Mets as my NL team because I really like their Unis

NHL: Minnesota Wild

I am a fan of the Cleveland Indians and Cavaliers. Used to be a Browns fan, then I decided to just abandon the NFL as a whole just a few weeks ago.

Fan of the Buffalo Sabres, and then picked Minnesota United FC as my MLS team since that's a great way to get into the league, with a team moving up.

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

What a great topic! I'm glad it's regained some activity as I haven't been a member of this board very long. 

Washington Nationals - My NL team. Started following them around 2008. Before that I didn't really follow baseball at all. The sport has quickly become my favorite. My step-son was stationed at Bolling AFB which is across the Potomac from the stadium. We started attending games as something to do while visiting him. My wife and I have been huge fans ever since. 

Minnesota Twins - My AL team. They are a very distant second to the Nats. Love the same color scheme and there's something about Target Field I really like. Hope to get there one day! 

Philadelphia Flyers - My US team. I live around Lancaster, PA so we are a Philly suburb. A bunch of guys at work are Flyers die-hards. They got me into following hockey. It is now my second favorite sport. 

Ottawa Senators - My Canadian team. I love their uniforms and I'm a fan of Erik Karlsson. The thing I like about the NHL is it's the only sport out of the power four that has this many teams north of the border. I wish more cities had more NBA, NFL and MLB teams. 

Washington Redskins - I used to like the Kansas City Chiefs way back before there was NFL Sunday Ticket and other online avenues to see your favorite team. I had a hard time following the Chiefs because they were never on TV. Many years ago I decided to make the switch to a team that was within traveling distance. I despised the Eagles and Ravens so my next choice was Washington. Since then I've learned about the history of the team and have followed them closely. 

West Virginia Mountaineers - My cousin attended this university. My family spent some time visiting with her and touring the campus. We caught a football game one weekend and we've been followers of them since. 

North Carolina Tar Heels - My step-son has been reassigned to an AFB in Goldsboro, NC. When he moved there we decided to following a local college team. We both had always liked the UNC basketball program. Thus, we now follow their sports. 

Orlando Magic & Philadelphia 76ers - Basketball is my least favorite out of the four majors and college. I don't follow it much. I used to like to watch the Orlando Magic back in the Shaq and Penny Hardaway days. I was just a kid then. I guess if I really got into it, I would pull for them and the 76ers since I could actually get to Wells Fargo to catch a game. 

B. Fass
Lancaster, PA

Nationals, Senators, Cowboys, DC United, Wizards

Washington-Nationals-Logo-HD.jpg.281d0e8be98a8521d34280de8329814f.jpgf29b882649e94f47737fee9f5b5b001f.gif.b4758c5fa8639d2f66ee458c1f7b27f9.gifmedium_DCU_20Crest_on_20white.png.4035fbad4dcbf26991bc729beadb718e.png59e126b48fe75_cowboyslogosmall.jpg.27ea81b23b230e77e0460934b5f36e74.jpg

• 1 month later...

MLB: the New York Mets distant second in the Colorado Rockies 

NBA: the New York Knicks 

NFL: the New York Jets 

NHL: the New York Rangers 

NCAA: the university of North Carolina Tar Heels and a distant second in the university of Syracuse Orange

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I've had a few changes in the last 6 years.

First I started following the San Diego Chargers as a "second" NFL team since I live a few minutes away from Qualcomm Stadium and most of my wife's extended family and my friends are Chargers fans so it was fun to go to games with them and such (though I would root against them when they'd come up against my Pats, much to pretty much everyone's chagrin). However that ended 2 weeks ago when they relocated to LA. Like most San Diegans, the relocation and it's accompanying fiasco means the Chargers are now dead to me and their owners can die of gonorrhea and rot in hell for moving to LA.

In early 2013 I stopped following the Sacramento Kings due to the attempted move to Seattle. The relocation and league drama leading up to it just completely turned me off to the team (noticing a pattern here?). They did end up staying in Sacramento but by the time Ranadive bought the team it was too late. Any passion I'd had left for them was gone. I've been an NBA free agent in the intervening years. I started gravitating towards the Los Angeles Clippers for a while due to relative proximity, their history in SD, and ease of access (their radio signal just reaches San Diego and they're on TV in SD). However, the Chargers relocation and the accompanying pain I've seen it engender in so many I know in San Diego made me realize I could never truly be a Clippers fan since they pulled the same BS on San Diego 35 years ago. And indeed family who lived through that relocation have the same feelings of hate toward the Clippers they now do for the Chargers. Which leaves me still searching for an NBA team. The Warriors would be the next logical option having grown up in the Bay Area, being NOT the Lakers, and my mom's favorite team, but they also feel like bandwagon hopping since they are so damn good right now. So the search continues... if anyone has any ideas?

I've also added the AHL's San Diego Gulls since they started play in the intervening time.

San Diego Padres - picked them up as my NL team when I started visiting my future wife during the summer in SD. Fate seemed to agree because we eventually moved to SD and I started going regularly. Fell in love with the team and their ballpark which was a breath of fresh air after seeing MLB games primarily at the Oakland Coliseum my whole life.

New England Patriots - I'm from the Bay Area, but the Raiders were in LA when I was growing up, and again SF teams hold no appeal. Grandma is a Pats fan.

San Jose Sharks - I'm from the Bay Area.

San Jose Earthquakes - Again, Bay Area's MLS team...

San Diego Gulls - Local AHL team.

Oakland A's - I'm from the Bay Area and have always disliked San Francisco and its teams. That and dad was a former 30 year Red Sox fan who threw in the towel after Buckner in 86 and switched allegiance in to the A's in 87. Have also enjoyed being contrary to everyone outside my family that I know who are almost all Giants fans, particularly after 2010.

Lake Elsinore Storm - Padres' single A team who I regularly drive up to see play.

Santa Clara Broncos basketball - my alma mater

California Golden Bears football - my in-laws team which I adopted since my school was sans football by the time I got there.

San Diego State Aztecs football - fill a local in person viewing need and they're fun to watch.

San Diego State Aztecs baseball - started going after I moved to SD. Love watching Tony Gwynn's team.

AFC Wimbledon - English side that I started following after hearing their story which paralleled the Earthquakes story some (ie: team being stolen and replaced with an inferior team. Luckily the Dons have had a better go of regaining their former glory.)

Yomiuri Giants - Dad brought back a Yomiuri cap from a trip when I was a kid and I started following from afar which has gotten easier thanks to the web. Irony of ironies that my favorite NPB team shares their name with my most hated team in all of sports the, SF Giants.

BC Lions - Have always loved Vancouver (I'd like to retire there someday). And is my closest CFL team. ESPN3 has made following them so much easier.

I have a crapload of teams that I follow regularly. But what can I say, I like sports.

On 26/01/2017 at 7:15 PM, bosrs1 said:

So I've had a few changes in the last 6 years.

First I started following the San Diego Chargers as a "second" NFL team since I live a few minutes away from Qualcomm Stadium and most of my wife's extended family and my friends are Chargers fans so it was fun to go to games with them and such (though I would root against them when they'd come up against my Pats, much to pretty much everyone's chagrin). However that ended 2 weeks ago when they relocated to LA. Like most San Diegans, the relocation and it's accompanying fiasco means the Chargers are now dead to me and their owners can die of gonorrhea and rot in hell for moving to LA.

In early 2013 I stopped following the Sacramento Kings due to the attempted move to Seattle. The relocation and league drama leading up to it just completely turned me off to the team (noticing a pattern here?). They did end up staying in Sacramento but by the time Ranadive bought the team it was too late. Any passion I'd had left for them was gone. I've been an NBA free agent in the intervening years. I started gravitating towards the Los Angeles Clippers for a while due to relative proximity, their history in SD, and ease of access (their radio signal just reaches San Diego and they're on TV in SD). However, the Chargers relocation and the accompanying pain I've seen it engender in so many I know in San Diego made me realize I could never truly be a Clippers fan since they pulled the same BS on San Diego 35 years ago. And indeed family who lived through that relocation have the same feelings of hate toward the Clippers they now do for the Chargers. Which leaves me still searching for an NBA team. The Warriors would be the next logical option having grown up in the Bay Area, being NOT the Lakers, and my mom's favorite team, but they also feel like bandwagon hopping since they are so damn good right now. So the search continues... if anyone has any ideas?

San Diego Padres - picked them up as my NL team when I started visiting my future wife during the summer in SD. Fate seemed to agree because we eventually moved to SD and I started going regularly. Fell in love with the team and their ballpark which was a breath of fresh air after seeing MLB games primarily at the Oakland Coliseum my whole life.

New England Patriots - I'm from the Bay Area, but the Raiders were in LA when I was growing up, and again SF teams hold no appeal. Grandma is a Pats fan.

San Jose Sharks - I'm from the Bay Area.

San Jose Earthquakes - Again, Bay Area's MLS team...

Oakland A's - I'm from the Bay Area and have always disliked San Francisco and its teams. That and dad was a former 30 year Red Sox fan who threw in the towel after Buckner in 86 and switched allegiance in to the A's in 87. Have also enjoyed being contrary to everyone outside my family that I know who are almost all Giants fans, particularly after 2010.

Lake Elsinore Storm - Padres' single A team who I regularly drive up to see play.

Santa Clara Broncos basketball - my alma mater

California Golden Bears football - my in-laws team which I adopted since my school was sans football by the time I got there.

San Diego State Aztecs football - fill a local in person viewing need and they're fun to watch.

San Diego State Aztecs baseball - started going after I moved to SD. Love watching Tony Gwynn's team.

AFC Wimbledon - English side that I started following after hearing their story which paralleled the Earthquakes story some (ie: team being stolen and replaced with an inferior team. Luckily the Dons have had a better go of regaining their former glory.)

Yomiuri Giants - Dad brought back a Yomiuri cap from a trip when I was a kid and I started following from afar which has gotten easier thanks to the web. Irony of ironies that my favorite NPB team shares their name with my most hated team in all of sports the, SF Giants.

BC Lions - Have always loved Vancouver (I'd like to retire there someday). And is my closest CFL team. ESPN3 has made following them so much easier.

I have a crapload of teams that I follow regularly. But what can I say, I like sports.

Hmmm San Diego, with no love for LAL, LAC, GS, or SAC......... How about the Suns? Great young team and within a days drive from SD.

SIG.png

I guess ill update mine as well now.

MLB:

Toronto Blue Jays:

Had season tickets or flex pack (whatever they are called nowadays) since 2010, die hard fan, but reallllllllyyyyyy annoyed with all these bandwagoners

Los Angeles Angels: when i was 13 or so and the blue jays were absolute trash, i decided i needed a "winning team". Chose Vlad and the Angels (hence namesake), been a fan ever since.

Milwaukee Brewers: Scouted me in high school, and was invited to a few of their summer camps for high schoolers. Special place in my heart. <3

NBA:

Boston Celtics:

For some reason i hate the raptors. Have lots of Family in boston.

NFL:

Not really sure. Slowly drifting to the local Buffalo Bills as of 1/27/17

SIG.png

On 1/27/2017 at 8:37 PM, LA_Angels said:

Hmmm San Diego, with no love for LAL, LAC, GS, or SAC......... How about the Suns? Great young team and within a days drive from SD.

Well I've got love for Golden State. My mom is a die hard and has been for over 10 years now (and it's my fault she is, I got her into the Warriors when I used to take her to Kings v Warriors games when I was a Kings fan). And I know the Warriors actually threw San Diego a little love in the early 70's in the wake of the Rockets leaving San Diego, which is the primary reason they're "Golden State" today instead of Oakland or San Francisco. My only reservation about rooting for Golden State is that I'd immediately be labeled a bandwagon jumper given how good they've been of late. And personally I can't stand bandwagon jumpers. If they were a mediocre team I'd probably have already made the move.

LAC as I said was my first choice until it occurred to me the Clippers screwed San Diego once upon a time just like the Chargers just did. I mean you can argue they didn't screw SD as badly seeing as they'd only been in town a few years and didn't have the biggest following in SD. But it still feels wrong just like rooting for the Chargers is now "wrong" in San Diego. That said being that I wasn't here at the time, so I wasn't hurt personally. And they're easy to follow being on local TV and SD being at the fringes of their flagship radio station's range.

Sacramento was the team I abandoned, and with good reason seeing as they were trying to move to Seattle. It wouldn't make much sense to go back to where I'd come from.

LAL have always been the "enemy". The Kings hate them, the Clippers hate them, Golden State hates them, and they're THE LA team so as a San Diego fan I'm predisposed to continue hating them even absent a team of my own. That said, they're the only NBA team that actively markets themselves to San Diego, even if only in limited fashion, playing an annual preseason game here, etc... and putting their games occasionally on San Diego radio.

Only other option I could consider reasonably would be the Celtics I guess. Like my NFL team, the Pats, the Celtics are my extended family's team including my grandmother. Downside being that they're an Eastern Conference teams so my ability to follow them is severely limited.

I mean given the options, who would you root for?

• 2 weeks later...

When I was younger the teams who had my favorite players at the time became my favorite teams but I have stuck with them since that time so they kind of jump all over the place.

MLB: New York Yankees

NFL: New York Giants

NHL: Washington Capitals 

NBA: Chicago Bulls

NCAAB: UCLA

NCAAF: LSU 

MLS: New York City FC 

European Football: PSG or Manchester United

Rugby: Cardiff Blues

MiLB: Kane County Cougars 

AHL: Chicago Wolves

D-League: Reno Bighorns

Arena football if they were still around it would be the Chicago Rush

chi2.png.e3f371d2d781c695054c9176266d80e1.png.cc84fd8f463fd7e6fab69c1866228790.png

IMG_0231.PNG

I generally cheer for whatever sports team makes the most sense geographically for when I discovered the sport. I first remember caring about baseball as a toddler in Massachusetts. I first remember noticing football when I lived in Alabama. I then declared my loyalty in the NFL after moving to Texas (and made the hipster choice to avoid the dynasty era Cowboys). Then I fell in love with hockey in Dallas.

Color coded for team loyalty:

MLB: I was born in Salem, MA, and had a ton of Celtics and Red Sox stuff in my room growing up. My family moved all over, but I always felt the Red Sox were "my" team being the only person in my family being born in Massachusetts. I also had a lot of Yankees and Mets stuff when we lived in New York a few years later, because my mother didn't know about the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry, and my father grew up a Yankees fan in Brooklyn. Still have a soft sport for the Mets, but I hate the Yankees with a passion.

NBA: I'm not a big basketball fan, but I always hope the Mavericks and Celtics win. Again, living in Dallas, and having the Celtics be the first professional sports team I recall knowing about. That said, I can probably only name maybe 10 players in the entire NBA, and no more than 2 current players on either the Mavs or Celtics.

NFL: I cheer for the Tennessee Titans, because when I first moved to Texas, I spitefully told my Dallasite grandparents that I renounced the Cowboys (dynasty era) in favor of the Houston Oilers just because i was a rebellious 9 year old that loved the Oilers colors and logo. Having never been to Houston in my life, I felt no need to abandon them when they relocated to Nashville. They've been my NFL team since around 1994 or 95, with brief flirtations with both the Packers and the Raiders during the darker days of Oiler/Titan embarrassment. 

NHL: The North Stars moved to Texas about 2 years after I did. My family had lived in New York and Massachusetts in my early childhood, and grew to know the game up there. They were super excited that a team as "iconic" as the North Stars was moving to Dallas, and that excitement got me swept up. They've been my favorite sports team ever since, and one I've been very lucky to cheer for. Some of the connections I've made in the past 20 years have led to me acquiring physical seats from Reunion Arena, wearing Brett Hull's Stanley Cup ring, having my face printed on game tickets, and being credentialed press for multiple events (including the unveiling of the new uniform, colors, and logo.)

NCAA: My family is from Alabama originally, and I lived there immediately before moving to Texas. In Alabama, it doesn't matter what part of the state you live in or if you've ever gone to college. You pick either Alabama or Auburn, and that is who you cheer for. I come from an Alabama family, with some Auburn cousins. I never miss a Bama game, despite the fact that I didn't go to school there. I also watch the Troy Trojans play as many games as I can whenever they are on TV or ESPN3, because that's my Alma Mater. I have a BS in History from Troy, and I'm about to go back for my masters (online). Troy is also where my mother was born. :)

Soccer: I don't quite know what to do here anymore. I fell in love with soccer slowly by watching the World Cups from the early 90's to about 2002. In 2002, I was so inspired by Team USA and their keeper Brad Friedel that I decided to follow the professional game. I learned that Friedel played for the Blackburn Rovers in the English Premier League, so I conveniently followed that team, as they spoke English and had a great history and aesthetic. Recent years have seen them get relegated, and they're on the brink of being relegated even from the 2nd tier. It is getting more and more difficult to cheer them on, let alone even watch them play. This has led to me toying with the idea of picking another top-tier soccer team to replace them, but I haven't actually done so. Most of my loyalties lie with FC Dallas, because my sister is a season ticket holder with amazing seats and a generous nature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's probably a little weird to see a user named "bucknut" as a nod to Ohio State whose location is Northern Indiana. 

I like the Pacers and Colts because I live in Indiana. Makes sense right? I like the Blackhawks because I'm only about 2.5 hours from Chicago, so that's pretty logical. I like the Cardinals in the MLB, because when I was younger I only played for the Cardinals in little league baseball and I had so many hats so I just kinda latched on to them.

I like Ohio State because my dad is from Ohio, and he had me wearing Ohio State stuff at a really young age.

spacer.png