TheGodfather

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/19/2020 at 5:20 AM, nelroy78 said:

MLB: Atlanta Braves

NFL: Carolina Panthers

NCAA: UNC, Charlotte 49ers

NBA: Charlotte Hornets, Chicago Bulls (was die-hard when Jordan played)

NHL: Carolina Hurricanes

Same, besides the crossed out. Grew up outside Raleigh. I root for the Colts and Pacers too being in Indy now but don't follow them heavily. I've been rooting hard for New England since Cam signed there too. But my support for them will be gone when he is.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

MLB:  NY Yankees - was born in NJ, family lived in the Bronx and surrounding areas in late 70's-80's. My first game was technically while still in my mom's stomach late during the 1982 season vs Cleveland. Spent early years going to games with my Pops until we moved to FL in '87.
NBA: Orlando Magic - Grew up attending games with my Pops who was a season ticket holder from 1989-2004 (he didn't renew because of GM incompetence/losing T-Mac). I've been an on/off again  season ticket holder since 2007.
NFL: Jacksonville Jaguars - Moved briefly to JAX for a few years in '95, the same year the Jags started playing. My step-dad was the Chief Photographer for the city, so from 1995 to 1998 I got to "assist" him on the field for all home games & a few road games (1996 - Buffalo, Denver & Foxboro).  I basically just held his camera bag and followed him around while watching the games. Best years! 
NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning - I've lived most of my life in central FL. Due to proximity the Lightning became my defacto team. I go to a handful of games a year, been hooked on Lightning hockey (and hockey in general) for close to 20 years now.
MLS: Orlando City Lions - hometown team, supporter since their inception. 
EPL: Tottenham Hotspur - Started getting seriously into pro soccer/football around the time Orlando City debuted in the USL (2011). Me and a few friends that had season tickets to Orlando City decided we needed a EPL team to root for as well. We didn't want to cheer for one of the powerhouse teams (ManU, Chelsea, Man City, etc.) cause it felt like joining a bandwagon, so we went with Tottenham after being persuaded by one of our friends who is Welsh and a fan of Garreth Bale. 
College: UCF Knights - alma mater. 

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well since i'm new here, i might as well start here. 

NFL: Tennessee Titans: Both my parents were Houston Oiler fans and they kept their fandom even after they moved to Tennessee and passed it down to me when I got into football. Also like the Cardinals due to me attending college in Arizona

MLB: Houston Astros: Same for the Oilers/Titans. My parents just grew up on them and passed it down to me. It's harder to root for them now that the cheating got exposed, so I sorta picked up the D-Backs as my secondary team now that I go to college in AZ. 

NBA: Dallas Mavericks: Didn't really get into the NBA until around 2011 when me and my family moved to Dallas, just in time for the Mavs run to the championship. The feeling in DFW was absolutely electric and it was easy to root for them. I had never experienced a city on fire like that before. Been hooked ever since #MFFL

NHL: Dallas Stars/Arizona Coyotes: Stars because their my home state's only NHL team and I used to go to their games when I was a teenager, Coyotes because see NFL and MLB. 

NCAA: Northern Arizona: Where I currently go to school. 

MLS: Houston Dynamo: Not a big soccer guy whatsoever, but I remember them winning the MLS cup when I was younger. I still like them I guess. 

xFUdNmt.png

• 1 month later...

Call me light-hearted, that's okay. The most fun part of being outside US is that I don't have a regional allegiance to follow, so I may sympathise with some teams, usually because of some athletic, aesthetic or historical aspect, without being necessarily a die-hard fan.

In NFL, I sympathise with Steelers and Bears, because they were the first teams I saw playing. Bears also because of the history. Steelers was also a very good team when I started to watch Football, so I somewhat might get attracted with them.

In NBA, like other gazillions of people, I sympathise with Lakers. I like the aesthetic of Gold and Purple,but surprisingly I like the light blue and white aesthetic of the Minneapolis Lakers better. Since my teen years, I have a slight dislike for OKC Thunder, probably because I liked previous Seattle Supersonics identity.

In NHL, I sympathise with Canadiens, because of the history, but also with Jets and its somewhat military aesthetics. Maybe a controversial point, but I prefer canadian teams over american ones.  I feel Canada as a hockey nation more than United States. I think I liked Islanders when I was a teen, but mostly for the graphics. 

I hardly follow MLB, so my views on baseball are mostly aesthetical. I like Giants because I saw some of their good moments in the last decade. In a strange opposition to the NBA case, I kind of dislike Yankees because of the spread and misuse of NY logo in baseball caps around the world.

I don't have a solid opinion about MLS currently. Honestly, I prefer to watch other leagues of Association Football. But as a brazilian, I'm always watching soccer, wherever it is happening. Sometimes I start to watch and I find myself watching something randomly, like Real Salt Lake v Columbus Crew.

For some time I had a kind of love/hate relationship to RBNY and other Red Bull teams because of their "joint identity". Today, with them spread around the world, I couldn't care less. I like Timbers because of their nice fanbase, and followed Orlando City for some time when Kaka, my biggest association football idol, was there. I like to follow players that were formed on the club I'm a fan, São Paulo FC. For now, I know Auro Jr is in Toronto FC and Brenner is at FC Cincinnati. So I'll probably prefer them against the opposite team, because they have a player that I know somewhat well (also, when the player transferred there, it brings  my team some money and media).

• 8 months later...

College: Oregon State (alma mater) and Fresno State (hometown)

MLB: Los Angeles Dodgers

NBA: Portland Trail Blazers (due to going to college in Oregon, didn't have a NBA team before that)

NFL: Los Angeles Rams (became a fan when they moved back from St Louis, didn't have an NFL team before)

NHL: Los Angeles Kings

MLS: Los Angeles Galaxy

• Like 1

Hello people, mine are as follows.

MLB: none

MLS: Galaxy and Montreal

NHL: Devils and Flames

NBA: none since Jordan retired

NFL: Raiders

NLL: San Diego Seals

Non USA

Singapore PL: Albirex Niigata Singapore

English PL: Wolves

Championship: Hull City

SPFL: Celtic

Serie A: Hellas Verona

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

• 1 month later...

So, I'm pretty much just going to update my previous entry to this thread.

Homer alert. Deal with it!

• NFL: Washington Commanders
  • NBA: Washington Wizards
  • MLB: Washington Nationals
  • NHL: Washington Capitals
  • MLS: D.C. United
  • Overseas Soccer: Western Sydney Wonderers (A-League). Copa90 videos about this club won me over.  As well as 1 FC Union Berlin in Bundesliga.
  • P5 NCAA Football: University of Maryland and members of the pre-conference realignment ACC and Big East. Except for Miami and West Virginia.
  • Mid Major NCAA Football: Marshall, Temple & Cincinnati
  • NCAA FCS Football: All current members of the MEAC, Towson, Georgetown, Penn Hampton and North Carolina A&T. I generally want teams from the SWAC to do well but won't call them favorites.
  • NCAA D1 Basketball: Maryland, Georgetown, George Washington, George Mason, Hampton, North Carolina A&T and the entire MEAC. Again, I generally want teams from the SWAC to do well but won't call them favorites.
  • NCAA Division 2 Sports: All members of the CIAA, Shepherd University, University of the District of Columbia, Frostburg State University & which ever member of the SIAC makes it to the D2 football & basketball tournaments. As well as any team that beats IUP in football. IUP's fans on a D2 message board I frequent are the worst.
  • NCAA Division 3 Sports: Salisbury University, Catholic University, Gallaudet University and Johns Hopkins University
  • Junior College: Prince George's Community College
  • Minor League Baseball: Bowie Baysox, Southern Maryland Blue Crabs & the Nationals' entire farm system
  • WNBA: Washington Mystics
  • Major League Lacrosse (now defunct): Chesapeake Bayhawks
  • Premier Lacrosse League: Whipsnakes Lacrosse Club (in the PLL's first season their roster was predominantly Maryland alums)
  • NBA G League: Capital City Go-Go
  • The Basketball Tournament: Florida TNT & HBCUnited
  • International Sporting Events: United States, Nigerian and Jamaican national teams. I generally root for Pan-African & Canadian teams to do well. For some reason I'd like to see England/Great Britain/United Kingdom become better in basketball.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/24/2022 at 5:11 PM, harney said:

Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Hawks, Atlanta United.

Tennessee Titans and Indianapolis Colts as backup.

Vanderbilt Commodores.

Celtic F.C., Manchester United.

Hendrick, Mercedes, AlphaTauri, Porsche.

Can add Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets for NCAA and Galatasaray for soccer. Also toss in USMNT and USWNT.

• 2 months later...

Primary Teams; 

NBA: Utah Jazz (Home State)

NFL: Green Bay Packers (Favre Super Bowl when I was young, stuck with them since)

MLB: Cleveland Indians (First little league team I played on)

NCAA: BYU Cougars (Home State, Utes suck)

Soccer: Who cares

Hockey: Wish I cared

Tennis: Djoker, and whoever is playing Nadal

Secondary Teams: 

NBA: whoever is playing the Lakers

NFL: Baltimore Ravens (Loved Ray Lewis, and like the organization too), whoever is playing Cowboys, Seahawks

MLB: Anyone not named Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets

NCAA: Nebraska Football (incredible experience as a visiting fan), whoever is playing the Utes, Tar Heels basketball (love MJ)

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

wait I never posted here? huh.

MLB: I really don't know anymore man

MiLB: Charleston RiverDogs, Brooklyn Cyclones, Albuquerque Isotopes

Ind. Baseball: Long Island Ducks

NPB: Yokohama BayStars

NFL: New York Jets, New York Giants

USFL: New Jersey Generals

CFL: Hamilton Tiger-Cats

AFL: New York Dragons

NHL: New York Islanders

AHL: Bridgeport Islanders, Hershey Bears

ECHL: South Carolina Stingrays

CHL: Drummondville Voltigeurs

NBA: New York Knicks

G-League: Long Island Nets (I am aware, you don't have to point it out.)

MLS: New York Red Bulls

USL: Charleston Battery

EPL: Fulham

NCAA: Syracuse Orange, Coastal Carolina Chanticleers, South Carolina Gamecocks, Charleston Cougars, Hofstra Pride

53Ocz8U.png

On 5/19/2020 at 12:09 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

An update on my favorite teams: A strikethrough on the teams in the quoted post are teams I stopped cheering for or only flirted with at the time (because of said reason on the quoted post). Also I am not as passionate about my favorite college sports teams as much as I used to but still generally cheer for those teams.

I only root for the Knicks now, did not know it at the time but my interest in the Nets was going south as they went east to Brooklyn. It is not the same as when they were here in New Jersey. Same reason why I stuck with the Red Bulls, although the NY Rangers I became a fan in the 2005-06 season.

To replace Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, AC Milan and Glasgow Rangers (all 4 were in the flirt category on the 2nd sentence) were their respective rivals, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Juventus, and Celtic. Atleti, Dortmund and Celtic: their their more passionate fans won me over when I found out more about those teams. Juventus I always liked them as well and still actually have a soft spot for Milan.

As for minor league/indy teams, Any minor league affiliate of the Yankees, Knicks, Rangers and Red Bulls so S/WB RailRiders, Somerset Patriots, Hudson Valley Renegades, Tampa Tarpons, Westchester Knicks, Hartford Wolf Pack, Jacksonville Icemen, NYRB II and U-23 teams apply by default as of 2023! Independent leagues: Staten Island Ferry Hawks of the ALPB, New Jersey Jackals of the Frontier League

XFL: DC Defenders

USFL: New Jersey Generals

CFL: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Major League Rugby: Rugby United New York

Premiership Rugby: London Irish

National Lacrosse League: New York Riptide

On 12/15/2011 at 11:51 AM, BrySmalls said:

Washington Capitals - Followed them since 2006. They were bad then, however, had and exceeded potential to become a relevant sports team in the DMV. Plus, had some guy named Ovechkin who helped make this team worth watching for awhile. They need to rekindle that spark.

Washington Nationals - Fan since 2005. Great that DC has baseball again, however, the Nats have played some awful baseball for a few seasons. However, last season was promising and 2012

D.C. United - I enjoy watching soccer, however, I am more concerned about losing this club to Baltimore or elsewhere.

New York Giants - My mother is a die-hard fan and it's great to talk to her about the performance of the team.

Ryan Newman - The man typically has the fast car in qualifying. He ran consistently this year and had a heated feud with JPM. It also helps that he's on Tony Stewart's team.

New Zealand All Blacks - Been a fan of their style of rugby since visiting New Zealand in 1999.

Happy that the Giants, Caps, Nats, and the All Blacks have won championships since 2011 I'm pretty much set for life going to both Caps and Nats first championship parades in back-to-back years.

Ryan Newman came close in 2014 but slowly faded into oblivion before ending his career in 2021. My interest in NASCAR has been nonexistent since about 2015 because of too many stupid things to list with the "sport".

Also, as I've gotten older, I don't understand how people can easily root for so many teams in various sports leagues, but whatever.

• 2 months later...
On 8/2/2022 at 7:30 PM, 4_tattoos said:

So, I'm pretty much just going to update my previous entry to this thread.

Homer alert. Deal with it!

• NFL: Washington Commanders
  • NBA: Washington Wizards
  • MLB: Washington Nationals
  • NHL: Washington Capitals
  • MLS: D.C. United
  • Overseas Soccer: Western Sydney Wonderers (A-League). Copa90 videos about this club won me over.  As well as 1 FC Union Berlin in Bundesliga.
  • P5 NCAA Football: University of Maryland and members of the pre-conference realignment ACC and Big East. Except for Miami and West Virginia.
  • Mid Major NCAA Football: Marshall, Temple & Cincinnati
  • NCAA FCS Football: All current members of the MEAC, Towson, Georgetown, Penn Hampton and North Carolina A&T. I generally want teams from the SWAC to do well but won't call them favorites.
  • NCAA D1 Basketball: Maryland, Georgetown, George Washington, George Mason, Hampton, North Carolina A&T and the entire MEAC. Again, I generally want teams from the SWAC to do well but won't call them favorites.
  • NCAA Division 2 Sports: All members of the CIAA, Shepherd University, University of the District of Columbia, Frostburg State University & which ever member of the SIAC makes it to the D2 football & basketball tournaments. As well as any team that beats IUP in football. IUP's fans on a D2 message board I frequent are the worst.
  • NCAA Division 3 Sports: Salisbury University, Catholic University, Gallaudet University and Johns Hopkins University
  • Junior College: Prince George's Community College
  • Minor League Baseball: Bowie Baysox, Southern Maryland Blue Crabs & the Nationals' entire farm system
  • WNBA: Washington Mystics
  • Major League Lacrosse (now defunct): Chesapeake Bayhawks
  • Premier Lacrosse League: Whipsnakes Lacrosse Club (in the PLL's first season their roster was predominantly Maryland alums)
  • NBA G League: Capital City Go-Go
  • The Basketball Tournament: Florida TNT & HBCUnited
  • International Sporting Events: United States, Nigerian and Jamaican national teams. I generally root for Pan-African & Canadian teams to do well. For some reason I'd like to see England/Great Britain/United Kingdom become better in basketball.

Update: The University of Maryland and Georgetown now have alumni teams in The Basketball Tournament, so you can add Shell Shock and DawgTown to my list of favorite TBT teams.

Hotter Than July > Thriller