NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

interior_mascot_09.gif

Apparently the Marlies looked around the league and said, "Hey, now that the West is the Red Pig Division, we should make the North the Brown Dog Division!" That logo should be used for the Marlies' Kids Club and nothing else. Whatever became of that excellent crown/leaf shoulder logo?

As for the Leafs 3rd, still a beauty of a jersey, but the "low-slung" crest really does appear to be positioned that way for no reason in particular.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really hate to say it, but I'm rather upset with the Blues third jersey design. Granted there are some positives to the jersey, but there are negatives too. I like the fact that the Blues went outside of their normal design and used a circular main logo, which is a first for the team, incorporated the arch, and used a lace up collar. All of which are amazing! However, I'm upset with the choice of the most modern Blue note to be used inside the logo. Why couldn't we have used some of our teams great history and used the original note from the late 60's? I threw together a quick idea and I like it better IMO.

Image16-2.gif

The reason I say this is, the general design of this jersey is a throw back vintage design. There is nothing vintage about this regarding our team! There are three blue notes (overkill), the use of silver (on the arch) which has never been our team color scheme, current team colors and main logo. The stripe pattern is absolutely pathetic. This logo is beautiful, but it looks more like an anniversary logo than a main crest. If I would have designed this, I would have left the arch off of the main logo, and instead brought back the much loved trumpet shoulder logo and worked the arch into the inside of the horn, almost as a lining. It would have been hidden inside and could have been amazing, almost like light hitting the horn, but you would be able to see the arch hidden...pick up what im puttin down?

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Blues to death but I'm really upset with this decision. I've read nothing but positive feedback about it but remember when the Wild came out with a jersey like this? People hated it because it was a fake throwback. The wild didn't have history, other than the Northstars. It wasn't their fault. The Blues however, have ALOT of history and they failed to use it. I love the colors but an old school baby blue jersey would have been beautiful! It's nice to see the Blues have a third jersey but I just don't think it was the best choice...

I hope you all see where I'm coming from with my comments.

I see where you're going with this. Here's what I've noticed.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_r8tWGVHrjGI/SOTN...s1600-h/stl.jpg

When I look at the image in the link above, the lighting makes the jersey appear like a dark royal blue, not navy. Hey, it doesn't look bad at all. It got me thinking just how good it would like if my interpretation was the real deal. A shade of blue, somewhere in the range between navy and the Canucks light blue might have been the best way to please the biggest amount of people IMO.

Concerning the crest, I don't have many issues with it other than the upper tip of the blue note going out of the circle. I think it looks wicked so I'm not going to fuss about the arch not being an "official" color or the bevels making it look too modern. Uniforms evolve by taking good vintage-like elements, and making them look better. I woudn't want to feel like I'm getting stuck in the 70s lol. But that's just me, so I'm not expecting this argument to be backed up, quite frankly.

Well, the Leafs Nation Mobile Fan Zone wasn't that great, just got free t-shirt, free flag, free kid-sized wig. Here's a photo of the Leafs 3rd...

DSC00156.jpg

Also took one of the Marlies, I guess I'll post that in the appropriate thread.

Wade-sig.png

trying to directory surf on the oilers site, and found this...

not sure if it's new, or a pic they uploaded days ago that i just missed.... looks to be the 80's vintage, as reported... looks to be original colors, too, if i had to guess.

thirdjersey-front.jpg

Archived