Colts looking for new horse

sj32

Interestingly, I tried to join the Colts' fan board (the link posted by leggman) to chime in on the severely ignorant discussion they have going on there, but both of my gmail addresses have been banned by the administrator even though I have never before visited the Colts website or fanboard until this contest began. Do you think they banned all the contestants' email addresses so they wouldn't join the fan board and educate Colts fans about what sort of hoo-ha went on during the judging? I couldn't figure out why my email addresses would be banned. My email address from school worked fine, btw, but I have yet to post anything.

That's curious, as a poster who claims to be one of the finalists was able to register.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe if I'm lucky, one of the bad designs will be picked and will face such public outcry that the Colts are forced to replace it, picking my logo. Then, I can sue them because mine will be the winner, but they didn't compensate me as advertised with the contest. Then, I can retire early. Dreams are awesome.

Conspiracy theory #45: The Colts organization saw and likes #1, but has to make this a vote to appear democratic. They pick some junk to run against it to try to rig the vote. If #1 wins they can say it was a fair vote, then pay the person the chump change.

So please vote anything but #1. I voted for number 5. Why? Because the head looks like the Broncos and they can't keep that.

I now believe that no matter which one you vote for, #1 or #2 will win. Like I'm voting for #3 whenever I can, and just like keeping the bad people on reality shows just to mess with them, the same will happen if enough people vote for it. However, if #3 wins decisively, they can still change their mind and just hide the percentages from the public.

Also, I would defend logo #4 for probably being a kid, but you did need to be 18 or older to enter... I don't know if that holds any weight one way or another.

I am currently compiling all of the non-finalist logos that I've seen (except for an awful one on the Colts site) and then we'll judge.

And leggman01, have you posted yours yet?

I'm looking at the Colts.com ones, and I agree, they aren't great. There are a couple of good ones, but some...

l_138d19038712f69dd260e5305a1e08ba.jpg

Am I missing something?

Isn't this the horse from the Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd opera? At least that's what it looks like to me.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Interestingly, I tried to join the Colts' fan board (the link posted by leggman) to chime in on the severely ignorant discussion they have going on there, but both of my gmail addresses have been banned by the administrator even though I have never before visited the Colts website or fanboard until this contest began. Do you think they banned all the contestants' email addresses so they wouldn't join the fan board and educate Colts fans about what sort of hoo-ha went on during the judging? I couldn't figure out why my email addresses would be banned. My email address from school worked fine, btw, but I have yet to post anything.

I remember going through that thread, and the designer of one of the finalists was talking about his design. Although he may have been a member before the contest.

I quickly perused the linked thread on the Colts forum and only one set looked good.

horse_logo_v1.gifhorse_logo_v2.gif

The rest, as AAO elegantly put it, "suck giant you know whats."

that was one of the logos i thought was "solid", along with this one

ColtsLogo1_040708_3.jpg

neither is spectacular, but both are light years ahead of anything else on that thread - i'm trying to register on mycolts.net (having some issues, though) to view the logos that were apparently submitted from members there

jldesigns404eo.png

And leggman01, have you posted yours yet?

i didn't submit this (not youthful or playful enough and i wanted to keep the rights) and i didn't finish it...my initial vision had the colts horseshoe in the space above, but that was against the rules - i'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out, but it's clearly not in the same league as others in this thread...i originally designed this about a year ago and blindly proposed it to colby sawyer (they're the chargers and have a pretty bad logo) - the AD wasn't interested...

designahorselk2.png

jldesigns404eo.png

leggman, that's a really nice start to what could be a great logo. The only thing that's bugging me is the empty space above the horse, and the horse seems to be too low in the badge. I think if you raised it up a bit and showed more body it'd be better.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

All of those in that forum suck giant you know whats. Those were all ugly. Horrible.

I agree with Sterling. It's a scam.

Most of them weren't very good, but I did see two designs that I thought were very strong. One of them doesn't come up until the sixth or seventh page, but it looks like a legitimate NFL logo. The other was by the creator of the thread, I believe. It wasn't quite as good, but I thought it was a solid effort.

I quickly perused the linked thread on the Colts forum and only one set looked good.

That's the one I was referring to. To the poster who said it doesn't look NFL-caliber, I'd say it's about on the same level as the Bengals' tiger.

370.gif

Far, far, far, far from it. Just because it has a black outline and white highlights doesn't make it NFL caliber, or anything like the Bengals' tiger. It looks like it was traced in Adobe Illustrator. It looks like one of my preliminary designs when I first started in Illustrator.

NFL Caliber? Hardly. It needs more work than where it is now.

These entries look like NFL caliber:

Colts_alt.png

v110.jpg

More specifically, andrewharrington's:

coltstwo.png

coltsone.png

Are NFL Caliber.

Had I vectored my sketch...possibly :D

Must respectfully disagree. The one from the other board is more balanced in terms of shading/highlight, the ones you linked to still need another pass.

I do love the one with the helmet, though.

I would disagree with that. It's rendered in a style very similar to that Bengals' logo, and while I don't think it's that far from professional quality (as AAO does), it's shape severely lacks the elegance and flow one would expect from a logo of this stature, which is most likely an issue of choosing a better reference photo next time. To me, it also looks as if the designer spent a good amount of time on certain parts of the logo, then got bored and coasted through the rest of the rendering just to finish it. I think the color balance is off, the logo having too much blue in comparison to black. I have some real issues with the line weight and the illegible details that result from the imbalance of the black and the blue. That clunky head-only logo, the spiky, amateur-looking mane and the nearly-uniform black outline are killing me, as are the four colors. If the Bengals could do it in two colors, so could this guy, and it would have helped his work. The whole thing reminds me of one of those overly-realistic, less-than-thought-out and under-cared-for college logos that Phoenix Design Works puts out by the dozen each year; it's almost there, but it's got a little too much jazz on the surface and not enough substance underneath.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think that is also one of the better logos I have seen whether on here or from other boards. It is done quite nicely, although I do not like the head alone. I think the full body shot would need to stay as it is and secondary.

while I think the other logos posted above (that AAO posted) are great and on even par with this...I would say the best 2 designs I have seen so far are the one I quoted above and andrewharrington's. andrew's would probably be my final pick just because it is something different in my eyes that stands out, i like the attitude it carries, and i think it would look great on merchandise.

some of the designs are downright horrible and i can't imagine what the person designing them are actually thinking in their heads. but to be honest, they must be along the same brain wavelengths as the Colts organization for selecting some of the atrocious designs they did.

Archived