What should the new OKC NBA Team be named?

My favorite mentioned so far would have to be OKC Thunderbirds. Very cool and it ties in with the Native American history of the region. I would like to see a tasteful NA themed team in the NBA(preferably the Warriors, hate their look). Twisters/Tornadoes or any variation would be nice as well.

As for names I can think of, how about:

Oklahoma City Renegades

Oklahoma City Pioneers

Oklahoma Ranchers

Oklahoma City Whiplash

And my all time favorite: SEATTLE SUPERSONICS.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about as colors, red (Pantone 805) and orange (Pantone 804), and call them the Oklahoma Redmen?
Wow. You do realize that PANTONE 805 C and PANTONE 804 C are both Pantone Day-Glo colors, right? Those are fluorescent inks...printers would scream out in agony everywhere...:

PMS_805_C.jpgPMS_804_C.jpg

:P

But they'd be unique.

LvZYtbZ.png

I'm sure about team name, but color wise I have a couple ideas...

I like regional ties so whith Oklahoma you have 2 major sources for the economy, Wheat and Oil.

For wheat a good gold color like Hex #bfa649

For Oil Black is too overdone, but a very dark bronzy brown would work well Hex: #594a42

Now to incorporate the 2 colleges without incorporating them add a color like hex: #bd3c22

I have to go w/ Generals or Barons. Both seem to fit NBA nicely and are not WNBA/AFLish at all. As for Tornado's or Twisters I would consider those equivalent to naming the team the Bombers. Completely outrageous. Also aren't the names Dragons, Rhinos, and Spiders always tossed around regarding expansion teams. I know the Bobcats were almost the Dragons and several NFL teams considered the Rhinos and Spiders back in 95.... :blink:

Isn't the nickname "Generals" synonymous with losing in basketball?

I think they should be called the Oklahoma Redmen, or something similar to that, to pay tribute to the area's rich Native American heritage.

:P just kidding, of course.

You know...the more people rip on Oklahoma City, the more I'm thinking Oklahoma City Sonics would be the perfect name.

Of course, it helps that I don't really like Seattle and it's people, and enjoy seeing something taken away from elitist, "trendy" urbanites for a change.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Does anybody think there's a chance they keep the shortened name(Sonics) but overhaul the entire visual identity to match the new surroundings?
I doubt it. With all the hullabaloo about "our" team from the Seattle and OKC fans, I doubt the name would carry over. Seattle fans wouldn't stand for it, and the OKC fans would want a "new" team that's their very own.

Of course, it helps that I don't really like Seattle and it's people, and enjoy seeing something taken away from elitist, "trendy" urbanites for a change.

Aw, did you burn your tongue on a Starbucks double latte? :P

nah, I think DG_Now rubs him the wrong way.

I saw, I came, I left.

Not really, since I don't drink coffee. :P

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Didn't Bennett agree to leave the Sonics name, colors, and team records all behind for Seattle to use on a future (presumed) franchise?

That was contingent on him getting out of the lease this year IIRC.

Today, we are all otaku.

Didn't Bennett agree to leave the Sonics name, colors, and team records all behind for Seattle to use on a future (presumed) franchise?

Depending on how long the litigation drags out, he may take the name, colors, and history just to spite Seattle.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I like either Wrangler or Outlaws. Just what I would associate with the area (although I've never been there, so I don't know if its really accurate). I also think Orange would work as a primary color. Mostly because no other team uses orange as a primary color (unless I'm forgetting someone).

There has been an exceptional amount of self-righteousness and elitism from people in Seattle(DG's been the most vocal) on every thread regarding this.

There has been an exceptional amount of self-righteousness and elitism from people in Seattle(DG's been the most vocal) on every thread regarding this.

Can you blame them, really? They're just as upset about losing teams as fans of any other city would.

I saw, I came, I left.

OK, if not red and orange, why not purple (807C) and green (802C), and call them the Oklamona Bison? Again, the colors stand out.

Why do you want to use Day-Glo colors?

:blink:

OK, if not red and orange, why not purple (807C) and green (802C), and call them the Oklamona Bison? Again, the colors stand out.
Why do you want to use Day-Glo colors?

:blink:

Because they look good. Besides, no other team in the NBA uses those shades (I think).

LvZYtbZ.png

Can you blame them, really? They're just as upset about losing teams as fans of any other city would.

You can be upset about losing the team without lashing out towards the other city as "flyover country", "less important", etc.

Archived