What should the new OKC NBA Team be named?

I'd like to hear from people in Oklahoma to see what they think. Do they really want to constantly have their team referred to as the Seattle Son... um I mean Oklahoma City Sonics? I still mistakenly say Baltimore Colts, St. Louis Cardinals and Los Angeles Rams and those moves happened many years ago.

In fact, they still say St. Louis Cardinals in the newspaper, on Sportscenter, even on MLB.com. What did they change their name to??

:wink2:

St. Louis Browns.

I think he was referring to the "Big Red Dead" Cardinals.

BTW...Just call the University of Texas-Austin "Texas" like the rest of us. Saves a lot of confusion.

I think he means the University of Texas at Arlington Mavericks.

My bad...oh well. Call it that. Because throwing "UTA" around in a thread discussing NBA teams makes me (and likely others) think of something else.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but UTA isn't the Dallas Cowboys.

Yes, but neither is Oklahoma State. Out of state will give the Dallas Cowboys NO CHANCE at stopping them.

True that. Hadn't thought about Ok St.

That's okay, no one thinks about Oklahoma State... :D

cyclone or tornado related name might upset those who have had whole sale communities destroyed by tornados. It would be like renaming the New Orleans Hornets to the New Orleans Hurricanes, which would be totally inappropriate.

Miami's college team is still the hurricanes, isn't it? Several hurricanes have hit there. Hurricane Andrew...

which is precisely why relative of mine whose family lives in south florida is personally offended by the name because of all the damage hurricanes has done. people has had lives destroyed as a result from hurricanes. no it has nothing to do with florida/florida state as they have no vested interest in college athletics. just like Tulane is inapproprite for their region.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

cyclone or tornado related name might upset those who have had whole sale communities destroyed by tornados. It would be like renaming the New Orleans Hornets to the New Orleans Hurricanes, which would be totally inappropriate.

Miami's college team is still the hurricanes, isn't it? Several hurricanes have hit there. Hurricane Andrew...

which is precisely why relative of mine whose family lives in south florida is personally offended by the name because of all the damage hurricanes has done. people has had lives destroyed as a result from hurricanes. no it has nothing to do with florida/florida state as they have no vested interest in college athletics. just like Tulane is inapproprite for their region.

Offended by the name? Quick, call the NCAA! They should get rid of all destructive weather phenomenon nicknames. Staring with Miami, then Iowa State....

I saw, I came, I left.

I've been to New Orleans, and that water ain't green.

Puh-lease...

If I'm deaf, can I be offended by the Sonics or the Blues? If my ancestors were in the Donner Party, can I be offended by any team that calls itself the Blizzard? Lord help those who've been attacked by wild animals, lest they be offended by Bears, Tigers, Lions, Panthers, and all sorts of other beasties. Should alcoholics and their families or victims be offended by the Brewers? Should global-warming hysterical eco-freaks be offended by Pistons, Drillers, Roughnecks, and Oilers? Should surfers be offended by the Sharks? If I'm in PETA, should I be offended by the Cowboys?

My parents survived a direct hit from an F5 that killed 20 on a day that killed 100. Tornadoes are simply a way of life out here - an environmental inconvenience that can and occasionally does hit close to home. People in this part of the country deal with it and move on, or haven't you noticed?

The team name isn't about you or your relatives and their hardships in life. Grow a pair and get over it.

BTW, the New Orleans Hurricanes played hoops in the PBLA in 1947...

Puh-lease...

If I'm deaf, can I be offended by the Sonics or the Blues? If my ancestors were in the Donner Party, can I be offended by any team that calls itself the Blizzard? Lord help those who've been attacked by wild animals, lest they be offended by Bears, Tigers, Lions, Panthers, and all sorts of other beasties. Should alcoholics and their families or victims be offended by the Brewers? Should global-warming hysterical eco-freaks be offended by Pistons, Drillers, Roughnecks, and Oilers? Should surfers be offended by the Sharks? If I'm in PETA, should I be offended by the Cowboys?

My parents survived a direct hit from an F5 that killed 20 on a day that killed 100. Tornadoes are simply a way of life out here - an environmental inconvenience that can and occasionally does hit close to home. People in this part of the country deal with it and move on, or haven't you noticed?

The team name isn't about you or your relatives and their hardships in life. Grow a pair and get over it.

BTW, the New Orleans Hurricanes played hoops in the PBLA in 1947...

I think you have to be sensitive, but only to a point. For example, it wouldn't be prudent to call a new New Orleans franchise the Hurricanes, the Katrinas, the Federal Assistance, or anything else related to the 2005 disaster. Maybe in 15 years (which is like you PBLA example), but it's too fresh right now. Can you imagine the AFC football team being called the Jets if it were created right now? Of course not.

But for regions that are historically affected by weather, I think weather names make sense. You're creating an homage to your region, which is what all of the best sports names do. I think a Buffalo team could be called the Blizzard, a Northern California team the Earthquakes (which they've done), a Chicago team Fire (which they've done), and a mid/southwest team the Tornadoes.

There is a lot of pride in survival, and for regions that historically survive bad weather patterns, those types of regional sports names can be great.

But this is to say nothing of using personal anecdotes in arguments. For any number of people you know that would like something, I can just as easily say there as many people who don't. It's an argument style that doesn't actually mean anything and the other side can't refute it. It's a no-winner.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

But for regions that are historically affected by weather, I think weather names make sense. You're creating an homage to your region, which is what all of the best sports names do. I think a Buffalo team could be called the Blizzard, a Northern California team the Earthquakes (which they've done), a Chicago team Fire (which they've done), and a mid/southwest team the Tornadoes.

Actually, there was an indoor soccer team called the Buffalo Blizzard.

I saw, I came, I left.

Actually, there was an indoor soccer team called the Buffalo Blizzard.

Well, my other thought balloons were also already teams, so it shows how uncreative either me or professional sports team owners are.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Oklahoma Ham Fighters

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Team names:

Oklahoma City Stallions (Mustangs, or other horses)

Oklahoma City Blaze? (Suggests heat)

Oklahoma City Cowboys. Don't start saying that law suits will be crazy; UTA tried to do the same when thee Mavericks came in, and UTA LOST!

Team colors:

Red-Black-Silver

Red-Orange-Black

Maroon-Grey-Black

Yeah, but UTA isn't the Dallas Cowboys.

Yes, but neither is Oklahoma State. Out of state will give the Dallas Cowboys NO CHANCE at stopping them.

True that. Hadn't thought about Ok St. Still, I don't think they'll wanna show favoritism for one school over the other. (OSU over OU)

That is also true, but maybe along the lines of Cowboys. Like maybe the Wranglers, Rustlers, Vaqueros (lol), etc.

I'd like to hear from people in Oklahoma to see what they think. Do they really want to constantly have their team referred to as the Seattle Son... um I mean Oklahoma City Sonics? I still mistakenly say Baltimore Colts, St. Louis Cardinals and Los Angeles Rams and those moves happened many years ago.

In fact, they still say St. Louis Cardinals in the newspaper, on Sportscenter, even on MLB.com. What did they change their name to??

Guess my age is showing. Back in the olden days, there used to be a professional football team named the St. Louis Cardinals. Those were the days, when you could have a football and baseball team named the same thing!

Guess my age is showing. Back in the olden days, there used to be a professional football team named the St. Louis Cardinals. Those were the days, when you could have a football and baseball team named the same thing!

Except the football team started as the Chicago Cardinals.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think you have to be sensitive, but only to a point. For example, it wouldn't be prudent to call a new New Orleans franchise the Hurricanes, the Katrinas, the Federal Assistance, or anything else related to the 2005 disaster. Maybe in 15 years (which is like you PBLA example), but it's too fresh right now.... There is a lot of pride in survival, and for regions that historically survive bad weather patterns, those types of regional sports names can be great.

As I pointed out in a roughly year-old thread (High School Mascot Mergers), for the 2006-2007 school year, three former high schools in Plaquemines Parish, LA that were hard hit by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita (Port Sulphur, Boothville-Venice, and Buras) were merged into one school, South Plaquemines High. Rather then keep one of the previous nicknames (Bronchos, Oilers or Wildcats) the kids chose a new name reflecting why they were put together in the first place-- "Hurricanes".

As you say, DG, lots of pride in survival, and it clearly wasn't too early for them to adopt that name.

(By the way, in a feel-good story, the football team won the state championship in their division this past year (2007). And the athletic teams logo badly rips off the Carolina Hurricanes' logo, as seen in this drawing which honors the 3 previous mascots coming together):

homecoming.JPG

It is what it is.

how bout the Oklahoma Twisters with a burndt orange and burndt red with a little black and grey.

It's B-U-R-N-T. There's no D. And two "burnt" shades of colors that are kinda similar is a bit much. I still think a Maroon and Vegas Gold or Tan would be a unique look for the NBA.

Oklahoma Ham Fighters

You're probably aware of this, but the name of the team is simply "Fighters." Nippon Ham is the sponsor.

The name could work out in the Panhandle, though... They slaughter 16k hogs a day in Guymon...

As I pointed out in a roughly year-old thread (High School Mascot Mergers), for the 2006-2007 school year, three former high schools in Plaquemines Parish, LA that were hard hit by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita (Port Sulphur, Boothville-Venice, and Buras) were merged into one school, South Plaquemines High. Rather then keep one of the previous nicknames (Bronchos, Oilers or Wildcats) the kids chose a new name reflecting why they were put together in the first place-- "Hurricanes".

As you say, DG, lots of pride in survival, and it clearly wasn't too early for them to adopt that name.

(By the way, in a feel-good story, the football team won the state championship in their division this past year (2007). And the athletic teams logo badly rips off the Carolina Hurricanes' logo, as seen in this drawing which honors the 3 previous mascots coming together):

That logo -- if you can call it that -- awful, but that is certainly a compelling story. I think the Hurricane name is more "pure" coming from high school students where they're not looking to make money off of a team name. They can more easily get away with that. But then again, who knows what the reaction would be a new baseball team called the "New Orleans Cat Fives"?

Still, the main point is that for a region like Oklahoma, I'm sure an allusion to tornadoes would be fine, just fine.

Archived