Orioles Throwback Night

leopard88

This morning's Baltimore Sun says the Pirates will be wearing throwbacks as well. No word on which combination they'll be wearing. We can only tune in tonight and hope for the best.

P.S. I hope most of the players wear the pants just below the knee with the stirrups hiked all the way up (i.e., true 1979 style).

They gave a small hint:

And the teams will wear 1979 throwback uniforms, with the Orioles sporting the cartoon-bird hats and the Pirates in the striped pillbox caps.

I'm really hoping for orange uniforms from the O's. I think tonight will be the first throwback game I've seen in person.

Very small.

I'll look for you on TV.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O's in the white unis of the era, with the white panel smiling Oriole. The Pirates are NOT wearing throwbacks. They are also honoring Jim McKay as well with a pre game video. The O's helmets are weak, the white is kinda a half moon shape, not the traditional triangle shape. That could be because of the style of the batting helmet.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

O's in the white unis of the era, with the white panel smiling Oriole. The Pirates are NOT wearing throwbacks. They are also honoring Jim McKay as well with a pre game video. The O's helmets are weak, the white is kinda a half moon shape, not the traditional triangle shape. That could be because of the style of the batting helmet.

Yeah, they really screwed the pooch on this one.

nav-logo.png

The white is some sort of temporary add-on to their current helmets. If you look close you can see it. It's not even close to the original look.

BB52Big.jpg

Now if they pass out fake beards, cowboy hats, and Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket sized beers for $1.75, (yep a 36oz beer for $1.75!) THAT my friend would be a throwback celebration!

Or it could just be the second coming of this. Either way, I'm all for it.

From Wikipedia:

"American League president Lee McPhail commented, "There was no question that beer played a part in the riot."

Good answer! Any game footage floating around?

The O's helmets are weak, the white is kinda a half moon shape, not the traditional triangle shape. That could be because of the style of the batting helmet.

Hey its better than nothing. Most teams don't do anything with their helmets on throwback games. I thought it was cool the O's actually tried.

Also, disappointed the Pirates didn't do anything. I would have at least like to have seen the old hats.

If nothing else, I give 'em points for the elastic waistbands, and the period-appropriate extra-high stirrups.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Until Paul Lukas can travel to every team and show them the "exact and proper" way to wear stirrups from whatever "exact and proper" time they were enshrined in his mind (apparently the mid-60s), this foolishness should stop! As these "throwback" jerseys are just approximations to begin with (note Giants number font, width of sleeve piping, size of Orioles front numbers, etc) players should just stop screwing around with attempting to wear something they don't (stirrups) and just wear their pants the way they normally do. I don't remember if I got a photo last night, but Adam Jones looked like he was wearing...clamdiggers! Give him a straw hat, and he's Huckleberry Finn! It was awful...truly awful.

And I'm still disappointed that the Orioles went white instead of orange.

Until Paul Lukas can travel to every team and show them the "exact and proper" way to wear stirrups from whatever "exact and proper" time they were enshrined in his mind (apparently the mid-60s), this foolishness should stop! As these "throwback" jerseys are just approximations to begin with (note Giants number font, width of sleeve piping, size of Orioles front numbers, etc) players should just stop screwing around with attempting to wear something they don't (stirrups) and just wear their pants the way they normally do. I don't remember if I got a photo last night, but Adam Jones looked like he was wearing...clamdiggers! Give him a straw hat, and he's Huckleberry Finn! It was awful...truly awful.

Here's the problem - these two games (O's and Giants) came just one day after the Cubs and Braves played in a beautiful game! I didn't see one single player for either team with their pants down, or oversized baggy pants in that game. I don't see how it's that difficult to get this done. Even guys who don't typically wear high socks wore them the right way for the Cubs/Braves game.

Moose

I noticed the Orioles numbers as well. These were more of a 1983 variety. IIRC - the O's numbers in '79 - both front and back - were of a smaller size/font than when the made them larger sometime in the early '80s. Sorry - have no pics to back this up. Anyone ouy there have one from '79?

Giants tonight..

a8e90273-ccb7-4164-9b34-99b80216bae6.jpg

Would have been nice if the Giants couldda got the digits right...

mn-gi82r-44.jpg

The M&N jersey is wrong, too. The Giants had a varsity font (similar to the current Yankees or Braves font) on those jerseys.

Watching tonight's O's win I noticed the O's had an black armband. Then looking at last nights pics they had an extra armband also. Does anybody know who this is for? Russert?, Jones?, McKay?, a combination of them all?

EDIT: I just saw that queman said they had a video tribute to McKay, so it was probably honoring him.

saBS.png

capt.723103af51c44acba7e25b95719fa4ae.pirates_orioles_baseball_bab105.jpg

Why is every one of the players' hats brim completely straight?

http://misterirrelevant.com/index.php/2008...ps-catching-on/

I loathe flat bills.

as do I, but this does show that they got the green underbill correct.

The Cubs had the green underbill as well. I wish that green were back for good.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Archived