Old fashioned team names they'd never pick today

spyboy1

I have been working on some vintage baseball projects lately and sometimes think that certain team names, like "Athletics" would never, ever be picked as a team name today.

"Yea, we're the team of athletes who are, uh... athletes." How bloody inspiring. <_< It also doesn't lend itself to any sort of a logo to put on modern merchandise either. The traditional elephant has nothing to do with the name of the team.

Tigers on the other hand, has aged well and could very well be chosen again if the team were founded right now.

What team franchises, if started today, would have different names in your opinion?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what you have going here, because your point is excellent and rings extremely true. The truth is, majority of the names actually wouldnt be chosen today. I dont even think Yankees would. If you look back in time, as you were saying, the variety or boundaries of selection for team names wasnt so great. Its not that there were restrictions, it's just that people back then werent extrememly creative with team names, identities, etc. Today, You could name a team anything you wanted because varieties have been explored and creativity has exploded throught the years en route to today's representation of identities. Threfore, I believe the majority of the teams established before the 1960's would have different names had they started today. Exceptions would be teams like the Tigers, Cardinals, Pirates, etc.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Just Baseball for now:

Red Sox

Yankees

White Sox

Twins

Indians

Athletics

Phillies

Mets

Reds

Dodgers

Astros

Padres

Nationals ( I realize the just named the team this, but only because of past teams. If those teams didn't exist, neither would this name)

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Given the time that they were named and the reasons behind them, I think none of the Original 6 in the NHL would have the names they have now. As for the Next 6, the Penguins and Blues are the only ones that seem like they would still have a chance.

In baseball alone there's a half-dozen or more: Boston, New York (AL), Chicago (AL), Cleveland, Oakland, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Houston, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles and San Francisco come to mind.

In football you can count Miami, New York (AFC), Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Denver, San Diego, Philadelphia, Washington, Green Bay, Atlanta, Tampa, Arizona, and St. Louis.

In basketball, it's unlikely you'd see Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Golden State, either LA team, Memphis, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia, Portland, Sacramento, Seattle, Toronto or Utah with their current names if the franchises were born today.

And in hockey, you'd likely not see the likes of Anaheim, Atlanta, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Montreal, either New York team, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Tampa, Toronto or Vancouver with their current names had their current ownership group been awarded the team via expansion today.

nav-logo.png

Most of the hockey ones have already been named, but teams the original 6 teams would be very different, for sure.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Just Baseball for now:

Red Sox

Yankees

White Sox

Twins

Indians

Athletics

Phillies

Mets

Reds

Dodgers

Astros

Padres

Nationals

wilson, I'm not quite sure how you missed the Braves on your list of MLB teams. There's no way, in this PC world of ours, that a nickname like theirs would go over well with most people, especially with that tomahawk of theirs alongside it.

Just to add on, eventhough they're not "old fashioned", I would also put the Rays/Devil Rays the list as well. As much as the franchise refuses to admit it, if they could have a do-over, they would.

Aside from those two teams, your list pretty much covers them all.

6uXNWAo.png

Let's get real old school with hockey!

-Wanderers

-Senators (Same reason as the 'Nationals' in the MLB)

-Shamrocks

-Rosebuds

I think your missing the point.

I didn't miss the point. I just read it wrong.

Also, if you're going to do something like that, at least have the common courtesy to explain what exactly I 'missed'.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I'm shocked that nobody mentioned the Angels. Not only is there the religions connotation, but also the fact that it would be considered almost feminine in a way.

Whereas you'd also have the same problem with the Devils, since if they changed the Devil Rays to the Rays, they'd never let a satanic team exist knowing the PC community that is in place.

VmWIn6B.png

Just Baseball for now:

Red Sox

Yankees

White Sox

Twins

Indians

Athletics

Phillies

Mets

Reds

Dodgers

Astros

Padres

Nationals

wilson, I'm not quite sure how you missed the Braves on your list of MLB teams. There's no way, in this PC world of ours, that a nickname like theirs would go over well with most people, especially with that tomahawk of theirs alongside it.

Just to add on, eventhough they're not "old fashioned", I would also put the Rays/Devil Rays the list as well. As much as the franchise refuses to admit it, if they could have a do-over, they would.

In addition to those, I think you could add on the Cubs. With the emphasis on the fierceness and intimidation that teams place on their nicknames and logos, they would not name a team after a baby bear.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

A lot of good responses.

The two I can't believe teams were short-sighted enough to pick were Astros and Expos.

Expos? You actually named yourself after the 1967 World's Fair? Like that wasn't going to get to be an old, outdated name in short time.

I have a lesser, but similar complaint with Astros. From Wikipeida: " "Astros" was a good fit for the futuristic ambiance of the revolutionary domed stadium and also since Houston was by then the home of NASA's astronaut program." Well, they aren't playing in the Astrodome anymore and the space program has certainly lost it's luster after we stopped going to the moon in 1972.

I'm pretty certain my Twins fall into the 'old fashioned' category and would have a more exciting name if chosen today.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Let's get real old school with hockey!

-Wanderers

-Senators (Same reason as the 'Nationals' in the MLB)

-Shamrocks

-Rosebuds

I think your missing the point.

I didn't miss the point. I just read it wrong.

Also, if you're going to do something like that, at least have the common courtesy to explain what exactly I 'missed'.

Well if you just read it wrong you know what I was talking about. No need for me to explain it then. Relax.

I thought it was current teams with old fashioned names, not teams that had old fashioned names and haven't existed for 50+ years, kind of beats the purpose.

Hi, how are you?

How about the Redskins, Chiefs, Indians, Braves, Blackhawks, etc? The only reason those names and logos are there are for "tradition". While I wouldn't want them to change their names, you can bet that those names would never see the light of day if they were expansion teams.

Exactly. The PC police would be on that in a second.

Heck, anything that could be considered remotely offensive now wouldn't fly for an expansion team. Look what happened to Houston 1876.

Just Baseball for now:

Red Sox

Yankees

White Sox

Twins

Indians

Athletics

Phillies

Mets

Reds

Dodgers

Astros

Padres

Nationals

I thought I put them there, my bad. I almost put your Cubbies there too, but ya never know these days, it still could have happened.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Archived