NFL Seattle... KINGS?!?

mfoster

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow.. Klick and Csonka took almost the same photo for and SI cover when in Miami:

I bet you a nickel that was intentional.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I would LOVE to see a prototype for the Kings. Seattle is in King County, so I am assuming that is where the name comes from. If anyone ever finds these, I would be too happy to move. I dont have any connections to even look, so I hope someone is looking.

I'd be shocked if they actually had a prototype developed at that point. Sports branding wasn't nearly the big-business it is now - it was almost an afterthought in those days.

Besides, i'm sure we'd have seen something by now on these boards.

I didn't realize the Colts were considering Tampa Bay 10 years before they moved to Indy. It's odd that franchise was never on stable ground in Baltimore.

Seattle was to be called the Kings. It was stated as such in Pro! Magazine (at that time the NFL's game program) and it was stated in '75. The franchise couldn't be granted sooner because of the refusal of the University of Washington to let any team use their facilities.

When the WFL was running out of steam John Basset and Birmingham's owners kept their teams and front offices together in the hopes that they would be picked as expansion teams. Of course the players would have been declared free agents. Little known fact: Before expansion and then the WFL was grabbing players and coaches, both NFL and CFL, there was talk of somehow merging the NFL and CFL. The eastern teams would be absorbed into the AFC and the Western into the NFC. Seattle would have gotten the lone expansion team to give the league 36 teams.

Yeah, I can just imagine Green Bay v. Saskatchewan in December.

By the way. Go back into your history books on this.

Who were the original (and I mean original) AFL franchises?

NY

LA

Dallas

Houston

Denver

Boston

Minneapolis

Seattle

Yes - Minneapolis and Seattle. Oakland replaced Minneapolis; Buffalo replaced Seattle.

I didn't realize the Colts were considering Tampa Bay 10 years before they moved to Indy. It's odd that franchise was never on stable ground in Baltimore.

They almost moved to Jacksonville.

I think that may be overstating things a bit. Bob Irsay did visit Jacksonville as part of his lengthy shopping tour. However, a hero's welcome from the Jacksonville faithful does not equal "[t]hey almost moved to Jacksonville."

As for the Colts not being on stable ground in Baltimore, they entered the 1970s with a decade-plus string of sellouts. That didn't necessarily keep Carroll Rosenbloom from casting a wandering eye before trading the team to Irsay. Shortly after the swap, Irsay had the team dismantled and quickly alienated a lot of fans. He almost just as quickly began the shopping the team around, with Phoenix, Tampa, Jacksonville and Indianapolis all in the mix at various points.

Back on topic, I thought I was being pretty clever when I used to use the name "Seattle Kings" as a wee lad back in the mid-to-late 70s. Obviously, someone thought of it before me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think that may be overstating things a bit. Bob Irsay did visit Jacksonville as part of his lengthy shopping tour. However, a hero's welcome from the Jacksonville faithful does not equal "[t]hey almost moved to Jacksonville."

As for the Colts not being on stable ground in Baltimore, they entered the 1970s with a decade-plus string of sellouts. That didn't necessarily keep Carroll Rosenbloom from casting a wandering eye before trading the team to Irsay. Shortly after the swap, Irsay had the team dismantled and quickly alienated a lot of fans. He almost just as quickly began the shopping the team around, with Phoenix, Tampa, Jacksonville and Indianapolis all in the mix at various points.

Back on topic, I thought I was being pretty clever when I used to use the name "Seattle Kings" as a wee lad back in the mid-to-late 70s. Obviously, someone thought of it before me.

Okay, okay, they THOUGHT about Jacksonville. :D

Okay, okay, they THOUGHT about Jacksonville. :D

I can agree with that.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

And who brokered the franchise swap deal between Carroll Rosenbloom and the Drunk Bob???? Mr Hugh Culverhouse the soon to be owner of the Tampa Bay Bucs. Now fast forward to 1996 who brokered the deal to have the Browns move to Baltimore, Al Lerner who was one of the potential owners of a Baltimore Bombers/Rhinos...Al of course ended up becoming the owner of the NEW Browns. The NFL is filled with back room deals that we only know the tip of the iceburg.

In Baltimore in the 70's the fans showed there displeasure in ownership by voting with our feet an wallets. We learned that in the NFL you buy the tickets buy the junk or the team moves, now it has become if you don't give me all that I want I will move. The most elite group in the world is not the US Senate, but the NFL owners.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I would LOVE to see a prototype for the Kings. Seattle is in King County, so I am assuming that is where the name comes from. If anyone ever finds these, I would be too happy to move. I dont have any connections to even look, so I hope someone is looking.

I'd be shocked if they actually had a prototype developed at that point. Sports branding wasn't nearly the big-business it is now - it was almost an afterthought in those days.

Besides, i'm sure we'd have seen something by now on these boards.

According to the article, McElhenny had NFL Properties actually design uniforms for the teams, so unless they destroyed it, something should be out there...

Interesting too that McElhenny's nickname was "The King"...

Seattle was to be called the Kings. It was stated as such in Pro! Magazine (at that time the NFL's game program) and it was stated in '75. The franchise couldn't be granted sooner because of the refusal of the University of Washington to let any team use their facilities.

When the WFL was running out of steam John Basset and Birmingham's owners kept their teams and front offices together in the hopes that they would be picked as expansion teams. Of course the players would have been declared free agents. Little known fact: Before expansion and then the WFL was grabbing players and coaches, both NFL and CFL, there was talk of somehow merging the NFL and CFL. The eastern teams would be absorbed into the AFC and the Western into the NFC. Seattle would have gotten the lone expansion team to give the league 36 teams.

Yeah, I can just imagine Green Bay v. Saskatchewan in December.

I would love to read more about this. Could you give me a reference that I could follow up on?

NY

LA

Dallas

Houston

Denver

Boston

Minneapolis

Seattle

Yes - Minneapolis and Seattle. Oakland replaced Minneapolis; Buffalo replaced Seattle.

Minneapolis defected to the NFL, hence the Vikings of 1961.

FsQiF2W.png

I suggest a book called "The League". It came out in 1985 and it is one of the best football history books ever written. It tells you about every back room deal that was made.

One of my professors has a paper detailing how Russell Long essentially blackmailed the NFL in order to get the Saints in exchange for he and Lindy Boggs' role in brokering a settlement for the merger. Back room deals indeed.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I suggest a book called "The League". It came out in 1985 and it is one of the best football history books ever written. It tells you about every back room deal that was made.

One of my professors has a paper detailing how Russell Long essentially blackmailed the NFL in order to get the Saints in exchange for he and Lindy Boggs' role in brokering a settlement for the merger. Back room deals indeed.

Lindy Boggs, Fred? It was her husband, Hale Boggs who was the majority whip in congress at the time of the Saints' inception. Lindy didn't take over the seat until 1973, after Hale Boggs' presumed death in a plane crash in Alaska.

I will assume that this was merely a 'brain freeze' on your part, and not delve into a "ULL quality of education thing" regarding you or your professor :P .

"Bow before my superior smartitude!", indeed! Geaux Tigers!! :P

(By the way, the afore-mentioned "The League" has a great one page or so summary of this, and Fred I'd love to see your professor's paper to find out more-- BR)

It is what it is.

NY

LA

Dallas

Houston

Denver

Boston

Minneapolis

Seattle

What is your source on Seattle? I know that Hunt approached an ownership group in Seattle, but I find no evidence that Seattle was ever granted a franchise in the AFL.

Archived