Oklahoma City .....

jhans203

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know the colors, logo and colors stay, but what about the history. The Sonics have a Championship banner and retired jerseys. Do they stay with Seattle or move to OKC?

Yes, it stays. That's part of the settlement.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

Anything but Supersonics. It should be a rule that teams leave identities back where they leave.

Why? So their glorious histories can be put on ice for decades on the off chance another team shows up?

Screw that. I'm with Will Leitch. The organization should keep its history so I can follow it for years to come. I don't care if they move out...my loyalty to the team remains.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I know the colors, logo and colors stay, but what about the history. The Sonics have a Championship banner and retired jerseys. Do they stay with Seattle or move to OKC?

Yes, it stays. That's part of the settlement.

The ESPN report said nothing about the history.

David Stern weighs in (PDF)

Biggest thing to note: funding must be in place by the end of 2009 if Seattle is to get a team by the 5 year deadline.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Sonics site said the OKC team would "share" the history with any new Seattle team. That would be kind of strange.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

The Sonics site said the OKC team would "share" the history with any new Seattle team. That would be kind of strange.

Not really; case in point: the Rams seem to claim the history of the "Big Dead" St. Louis Cardinals.

Today, we are all otaku.

Not really; case in point: the Rams seem to claim the history of the "Big Dead" St. Louis Cardinals.

Certainly not in any kind of official capacity though...

SuperSonics, Seattle reach last-minute settlement

Bennett said he and Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels signed a binding agreement Wednesday, which would be formalized later, that keeps the SuperSonics' name, logo and colors available if Seattle gets a replacement franchise. Bennett said his franchise would create duplicate championship banners and trophies, leaving one set in Seattle and using the second set for undetermined purposes in Oklahoma City.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Oklahoma City Sooners.

Wait. That might be used already.

Oklahoma City Cowboys.

Wait. That might be already used, too. Let's go with something that REALLY sounds Oklahoman.

Oklahoma City Golden Hurricanes.

Wait ...

Archived