Oklahoma City .....

jhans203

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about the OKC F-5's

xeniaf5l.jpg

Umm, that looks like the Xenia F5s... :)

But yes, that name has been tossed around in previous threads.

Of course, thanks to the folks at the NWS, the name would have to be changed to the EF5's. :rolleyes:

Whatever it is, I think it should be just Oklahoma, not Oklahoma City.

Just curious: Why? Is there a lot of general resentment of Oklahoma City in the rest of Oklahoma? Will people in Muskogee be all like, "OK City Thunderbirds? I can't support a team from Oklahoma City. Why does the NBA spit on us like this?"

20082614447.png

Whatever it is, I think it should be just Oklahoma, not Oklahoma City. Outlaws or Wranglers sound good. I like Cyclones or Twisters too.

I think it's already been explained, in this thread and others, that as part of OKC agreeing to the team, they have to use the name "Oklahoma City."

I don't like using Oklahoma City as much as I just like using Oklahoma. My favorites, in order are:

1) Outlaws. After the old USFL team, also just a cool name

2) Thunderbirds. I've always thought it was a cool nickname and it goes well with Oklahoma's Native American history

3) Twisters: After tornadoes and crap and the only other team I can think of with the name is the Arkansas AF2 team and I think it fits Oklahoma well

Outlaws? Not on David Stern's watch...

Oklahoma City Twisters? The PR Dept. will be too afraid of the Oklahoma T!tty Twisters

I vote for Barons, Thunderbirds, Cannons, or Copperheads (NBA needs a snake)

Just curious: Why? Is there a lot of general resentment of Oklahoma City in the rest of Oklahoma? Will people in Muskogee be all like, "OK City Thunderbirds? I can't support a team from Oklahoma City. Why does the NBA spit on us like this?"

Don't know about the poster, but I just think "Oklahoma City" is a mouthful sometimes (although I've gotten used to it now so I don't really care). Sure, you could shorten it by saying"OKC," but it just doesn't gel when you add a team name to it, not to me anyway. Plus, if they were called the Thunderbirds, think how redundant that would be: OKC T-Birds. :P

Also, side question, but why did Indiana and Minnesota decide to use their state names instead of the city names?

My turn My turn!

Oklahoma City...

Thunderbirds

Sidewinders

Ghostriders

Wranglers

Mustangs (there's a borough outside of OKC called "Mustang" too)

Marauders

Tornadoes, Twisters, Cyclones (pretty much all the same theme)

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Believe it or not, that's what the culture is in Arizona. People couldn't STAND having a team playing in Tempe, calling themselves "Phoenix". Which is a lot of the reason why the Cardinals changed their name.

Don't know how the Coyotes have gotten away with it though...

First, on the alignment matter. They'll obviously stay in the Northwest for the upcoming season. Too late to make changes to that. For the next season, I'd say the following should be the new alignment:

PACIFIC DIVISION: LA Clippers, LA Lakers, Golden State, Portland, Sacramento

MIDWEST DIVISION: Denver, Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Utah

SOUTHWEST DIVISION: Remains Unchanged (Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio)

There.

Now on the name. I've really come around on Barons, though I still like Twisters or even Cyclones. I wouldn't mind a name like Drillers. Though when it was announced a few months ago that the lease was requiring the use of "Oklahoma City", the mayor of Tulsa, who helped with the presentation of Oklahoma to the NBA committee, was asked if she felt it was excluding the rest of Oklahoma by using OKC, and she replied "of course not. We wouldn't want the Drillers (Tulsa's Double-A team and our Texas League Division rivals) called the Oklahoma Drillers. Why couldn't they go by OKC?" Now, with this being an NBA team there may not be an issue, but I don't know. I'd still like the Oklahoma City Drillers to be the name. Or Mustangs would be nice. They do play in the Ford Center, there's the town/borrough/whatever called Mustang outside the city, and I'm sure they were/are wild horses in the area.

First, on the alignment matter. They'll obviously stay in the Northwest for the upcoming season. Too late to make changes to that. For the next season, I'd say the following should be the new alignment:

SOUTHWEST DIVISION: Remains Unchanged (Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio)

There.

Wouldn't it make more sense geographically to put Phoenix in the SW with DAL, HOU, SA, and NO, and then send OKC to the MW with DEN, MIN, MEM, and UTA? Memphis is only in the SW division now because the geography never really matched up any other way. It's not like they have any real rivalry with any of the other 4 teams now.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

There.

Wouldn't it make more sense geographically to put Phoenix in the SW with DAL, HOU, SA, and NO, and then send OKC to the MW with DEN, MIN, MEM, and UTA? Memphis is only in the SW division now because the geography never really matched up any other way. It's not like they have any real rivalry with any of the other 4 teams now.

Thats what I would do if I was commish, but who knows.

Also, side question, but why did Indiana and Minnesota decide to use their state names instead of the city names?

Generally speaking, teams in Minnesota have used the state name as a way to avoid having to choose between Minneapolis and St. Paul. And with a roughly 50-50 population split between the Twin Cities and the rest of the state, there is a history of outstate resentment of the Twin Cities. Finally, once the precedent was set with the Twins, Vikings, and North Stars, new teams pretty much have to follow course and be the Minnesota Whatevers.

20082614447.png

There.

Talk about cutting the OKC franchise off at the start.

They will need the rivalry with the Texas teams. Put Memphis in the Midwest, OKC in the Southwest.

According to the Seattle Times, it is looking like the Sonics are officially leaving Seattle for OKC. Apparently the city and team have reached a settlement. Details of the settlement will be announced within the hour.

But, with the Sonics leaving Seattle. I am assuming they will pick up another moniker. Speculation is that the name will remain in Seattle for possible expansion. In everyone's opinion what would you suggest for a nickname for the new OKC team? What colors would you pick?

Please keep this serious no "OKC Bennett Haters, etc., etc.,etc." If you even feel ambitious what would the logo look like.

I will think of a couple names that I will post later, I just wanted to start the discussion.

Oklahoma City Steers

Oklahoma City Copperheads (Or just Oklahoma Copperheads)

Oklahoma City Cattlemen

Oklahoma City Frontier

Oklahoma City Energy (due to Oklahoma being an American leader in bio and energy supply)

Oklahoma City Pioneers

Oklahoma City Scissortails (Named after the Oklahoma state bird)

Oklahoma City Bisons

Archived