Michigan State changes uniforms once again......

GFB

18943566672001.jpg

18915815942002.jpg

2003-2004

74874222752003.jpg

2005-2006 (addition of green pants)

p1_stanton_1005.jpg

2007 (removal of green pants)

39284546482007.jpg

post-40421-1217994244.jpg

Michigan State has always messed around with something: from helmet stripes to shoulder stripes; the spartan or the block S; to logos on just one side of the helmet; etc....

Here are a few that I find particularly interesting...

Pic

Pic

Pic

I think that they are right there at Syracuse's level...

I'd consider this an upgrade...the stripe is necessary to compliment the helmet and I like how wide it is...looks old-school and really good in this case. Also, I don't consider Michigan State a BIG changer when it comes to uniforms. Adding green pants or removing them isn't much of a change in my book. The 2002 uniforms were the worst. ever.

I wish they'd take a cue from the basketball team and just go with STATE. It strengthens their identity when you know exactly what State they're talking about.

Problem is that there are a bunch of States. Oklahoma State does a "STATE" with "Oklahoma" in smaller letters. Mississippi State does the big block "M" with "STATE" across it. If you're not a huge college sports fan, someone splashing just "STATE" across the uniform isn't going to tell you much.

I wish they'd take a cue from the basketball team and just go with STATE. It strengthens their identity when you know exactly what State they're talking about.

Problem is that there are a bunch of States. Oklahoma State does a "STATE" with "Oklahoma" in smaller letters. Mississippi State does the big block "M" with "STATE" across it. If you're not a huge college sports fan, someone splashing just "STATE" across the uniform isn't going to tell you much.

But it's GREEN. They do it for BB, why not football?

2004024320db4.jpg

Yeah, but who even notices Michigan State other than their fans? And I am sure, or at least I hope, they would know which state it was talking about. The pants stripe is just a minor change, but I would consider it an upgrade. As much as I dislike state, their uniforms aren't bad. So that makes how many changes since the last time little brother beat Michigan? (and the last time they did, it was questionable whether or not they should have gotten that final play.)

MegatronSig2.jpg

Yeah, but who even notices Michigan State other than their fans? And I am sure, or at least I hope, they would know which state it was talking about. The pants stripe is just a minor change, but I would consider it an upgrade. As much as I dislike state, their uniforms aren't bad. So that makes how many changes since the last time little brother beat Michigan? (and the last time they did, it was questionable whether or not they should have gotten that final play.)

Hmmm... how did Michigan get into this conversation? And as for the "little brother" comment... I know where that came from. Mike Hart, who proved himself to be a complete tool time after time. Considering that Hart never came even close to beating HIS big rival in all his years at UM, you'd think he'd have a little more class.

I agree the present font is a little small; what was wrong with that modified Times New Roman they had? (Or was it Times New Spartan?)

The STATE used on the basketball unis is great, and iconic, but vertically it poses a bit of a problem, no?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

As a current MSU student, I love the addition of the stripe. That was the one thing I thought was lacking in the last design. I do agree that the font of the wordmark and the fact that it is too close to the numbers, sucks.

Aaaaaaaand while we're talking about UM, despite the fact that I hate their football team, I actually don't hate their new uni's. I don't hate their school, I don't hate the students. What I do hate about UM is the "Wal-Mart Wolverine" rednecks who have no affiliation with the university bragging about beating MSU year in and year out. (end mini-rant).

Archived