OKC NBA to announce nickname, logo, colors September 3

Burmy

Since we're all so into knee-jerk speculation, here's something else to chew on:

The Web site www.nba.com/thunder now comes up with the "sorry, page not found" message. A week ago it showed a blank page, while queries using other possible names, like Barons, showed up with the error message, leading us to believe that it was being readied for the new launch this week.

A sign that the OKC club had a change of heart? Not likely. But I'm just here to bring all of you some hope. Enjoy.

Well, until the big unveiling tomorrow, we can believe that that is the case and enjoy it for the brief time we have until the big letdown.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since we're all so into knee-jerk speculation, here's something else to chew on:

The Web site www.nba.com/thunder now comes up with the "sorry, page not found" message. A week ago it showed a blank page, while queries using other possible names, like Barons, showed up with the error message, leading us to believe that it was being readied for the new launch this week.

A sign that the OKC club had a change of heart? Not likely. But I'm just here to bring all of you some hope. Enjoy.

It's back to the way it's been for the past week and a half or so, with www.nba.com/thunder going to the blank white screen.

Consider that last bit of hope crushed. :cry:

As of now we all know they chose Thunder, so this isn't a huge find, but it does confirm the name to me 100%.

I was messing around with NBA urls today, and found that if you type teamname.nba.com it redirects you to their www.nba.com/teamname site. I tried thunder.nba.com and got redirected to www.nba.com/thunder, where the blank page exists. I then tried the other proposed names and none of them redirected me. Thunder it is, 100%.

edit: Also, interestingly enough I was trying shortened nicknames of teams (Wolves, Mavs, Cavs, Grizz, Sixers) and some worked, some didn't, but wolves.nba.com also serves as the NBA homepage. Any NBA.com website can have 'wolves' substituted for 'www' and it should work. Why would this ever happen?

A theory on the leaked logo:

It's a secondary that was designed prior to finalizing the choice of a team name. It has a basketball and OKC, and the team colors, which could work with any team name. With such a short window, I would assume that design work on the new identity ran in parallel tracks, with graphics work proceeding at the same time as the marketing work on choosing the new name. Color choice and this generic secondary could have been completed before a name was chosen, much less a final logo. But with the secondary in hand, merchandising work could commence, as well as uniform design.

Then, when the team name was finalized, it was just a matter of throwing the word "Thunder" on the any-name secondary. Added bonus: By printing early orders of merch with the generic secondary, the team increased its ability to limit leaks of the final logo.

Anyway, if I were managing this project, that's how I would line up the decisions, and I think the generic nature of the logo and the "tacked on" quality of the team name on the ball fit perfectly with that scenario.

20082614447.png

A theory on the leaked logo:

It's a secondary that was designed prior to finalizing the choice of a team name. It has a basketball and OKC, and the team colors, which could work with any team name. With such a short window, I would assume that design work on the new identity ran in parallel tracks, with graphics work proceeding at the same time as the marketing work on choosing the new name. Color choice and this generic secondary could have been completed before a name was chosen, much less a final logo. But with the secondary in hand, merchandising work could commence, as well as uniform design.

Then, when the team name was finalized, it was just a matter of throwing the word "Thunder" on the any-name secondary. Added bonus: By printing early orders of merch with the generic secondary, the team increased its ability to limit leaks of the final logo.

Anyway, if I were managing this project, that's how I would line up the decisions, and I think the generic nature of the logo and the "tacked on" quality of the team name on the ball fit perfectly with that scenario.

This sounds the most plausible of any other scenario brought forward to this point.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

I guess there is a billboard in OKC with a countdown and it has said Barons, Outlaws, and Marshals are out.

http://www.hornetscentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8038

It also says Twisters and Enforcers are out, giving us a glimmer of hope that it may actually go to a name not yet mentioned (though I'm pretty sure it will end up being Thunder).

I guess there is a billboard in OKC with a countdown and it has said Barons, Outlaws, and Marshals are out.

http://www.hornetscentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8038

"Marshals" was never in it...

Marshalls, on the other hand... :rolleyes::blink:

marshals is the correct spelling, actually

The press release of names that the NBA trademarked include the misspelled version, though.

I think that's just a photo from when the Hornets were there. IIRC the baselines had OKLAHOMA CITY in the Hornets blue.

Thats just what it looks like to me

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived