OKC NBA to announce nickname, logo, colors September 3

Burmy

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, it's clearly not photoshopped or anything.

It's in a plastic wrapper, more than likely as in shipped from the NBA to an OKC team store for the event on wednesday.

I'm not gonna sit here and be naive about it--I really think this :censored: is it. With the recent crap that's been coming out, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

i'm getting flashbacks to the summer the buffaslug was leaked...

if that is indeed the identity i think it's fair to say that since adidas has taken over the branding portion of the nba creative dept the designs have severly suffered.

I dont have time, but I'm sure if someone put together a visual timeline of nba brand changes each year from around 2004 on it would be obvious. I'm not totally educated on the details of the contract, when adidas took over, but i'm thinking it was within the last 5 years.

Adidas does apparel, not branding, and it has been obvious. come on nba, you gotta step it up.

www.skyedesignstudios.com

From the okcnbafans.com forums:

thundervw8.jpg

Real?

I hope that's not real and if it is, hopefully it is just a secondary logo.

If that in fact is real it is an utter disappointment and failure, especially if it is the primary logo. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that, as others have said, it is a combination of logos or a secondary logo with the nickname haphazardly thrown on top in Agency (for whatever reason <_< ).

Adidas' apparel looks nice. The Hawks unis, the ASG unis--I suppose...the TWolves unis; the Hornets unis.

2006/2007 was the season adidas started manufacturing authentic NBA gear.

Reebok's license ran out in 2005/2006.

But by God since adidas took over, their rebranding portfolio:

The Bucks got a nice shiny new wordmark and now look like reindeer.

The Timberwolves got trees from a Lego set and got some white splooge on the wolf's face, and a cool new secondary that well--appears essentially, nowhere.

The Hornets got an even more cartoonier looking hugo with blue gloves instead of white ones. Oh and they fixed the lines on the basketball. Font, though not original--is good.

Now this is all assuming adidas indeed designed the monstrosity up there. Which, they probably did. Let's just hope this is make shift and they've got guys working on a new one for 2010/2011.

Man, it's clearly not photoshopped or anything.

It's in a plastic wrapper, more than likely as in shipped from the NBA to an OKC team store for the event on wednesday.

I'm not gonna sit here and be naive about it--I really think this :censored: is it. With the recent crap that's been coming out, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Well OK, that's fine. I thought you meant you had "just received confirmation from a 'source'" or some bull crap like that. You may very well be right, but I'm going to be some kind of oprimist and at least hold out some hope for the 3rd. Aww darn, that'll be it, won't it. <_<;)

Ok now, one thing is certain: It's not a photoshop job. However...this could just be one of a few prototypes. Once, regarding the NFL, somebody posted a pic of a Bengals helmet (with the black and orange reversed) and before you knew it, the entire community of sports fans freaked out.

This logo has so many flaws. The word thunder is in the same font as the Vancouver Canucks, the OKC script is off and doesn't match the word thunder, the lines are all over the place...The only thing I slightly believe is that the colors mentionned earlier are accurate. Whatever the outcome, this logo cleary looks like someone's 2nd or 1st draft design. The real one deserves to be better.

Looking at it reminds me of logos cities use just after getting a franchise or announcing they will have one... where they make a pretty little logo championing their city with a reference to the sport (in this case the basketball in the triangle) and then once they decided on the name... threw that up on top of the pre-existing logo... the word THUNDER is so disjointed with the rest of the mark... it is thrown on afterward..... that is my hope anyway... good GOD be right

Looking at it reminds me of logos cities use just after getting a franchise or announcing they will have one... where they make a pretty little logo championing their city with a reference to the sport (in this case the basketball in the triangle) and then once they decided on the name... threw that up on top of the pre-existing logo... the word THUNDER is so disjointed with the rest of the mark... it is thrown on afterward..... that is my hope anyway... good GOD be right

That is what I think this is. Not a "Look at our new logo!" ball, but a "We picked this name!" ball. Maybe they just couldn't find the right time to give them out though.

Archived