OKC NBA to announce nickname, logo, colors September 3

Burmy

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
okc-mock-up.png

Tried my best to clean it up.

Nice work, BTW.

Really though, what the hell does this have to do with "Thunder"?

Thunder is supposed to be dark, intimidating and powerful -- This logo portrays neither.

Can anyone tell me what in the world that's supposed to be anyways??

6uXNWAo.png

okc-mock-up.png

This MIGHT NOT be it.

Remember, the team is unveiling four team colors, and as far as I see, this logo only has 3.

SO i would be very surprised if this is a primary. Secondary, possibly, but if this is a primary it would go against the news story that said they'd have four colors.

So yeah...

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

okc-mock-up.png

This MIGHT NOT be it.

Remember, the team is unveiling four team colors, and as far as I see, this logo only has 3.

SO i would be very surprised if this is a primary. Secondary, possibly, but if this is a primary it would go against the news story that said they'd have four colors.

So yeah...

orange, navy, yellow, white?

Only related in a tiny way, but not worthy of its own thread, I bring to you this random info I looked up.

Non-white jerseys in the NBA currently can be counted like this. Of course, some colors have been lumped into a broader category. I counted new uniforms that I consider 'for sure' like the Purple Kings' roads and Black Raptors alts, but who knows how 'scientific' this really is anyway;

Red-10

Navy-10

Black-6

Royal-6

Green-4

Purple-3

Orange-3

Lt. Blue-2

Yellow-2

Teal-1

Metallic Gold-1

10 years ago the colors could be counted like this(to my calculations);

Black-9

Purple-7

Red-6

Royal-5

Navy-4

Teal-3

Green-2

Yellow-1

So compared to 10 years ago teams are favoring Navy and Red a lot more, have dropped the Purple phase, figured out only one team needs to be Teal(Creole Blue), are getting tired of Black, and have discovered 3 jersey colors. Of course, and here is the small tie in, this present list could look even more lopsided if the Thunder choose to go Navy or Red. Factor in that the Hawks are sure to soon have a Red alternate and it gets even worse. On the other end of the spectrum, they could always open up a new color for my list, Brown for example, or add to the Light Blue tally.

okc-mock-up.png

You know what I think this is??? I bet this is a logo for the Clay Bennetts' "Professional Basketball Club LLC" That the group that owns the team.

That would make sense to me. it wold explain why it has a basketball but has nothing to do with Thunder, and that the word Thunder was thrown in as an afterthought. It would explain why it is on an NBA basketball (maybe at the presentation David Stern will formally hand over the franchise or something?) Its just a generic OKC Basketball logo, that I think was designed for the ownership group and not for the team itself

Thats what my money's on, because i would be absolutely shocked if that was even a secondary logo for the actual team.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

okc-mock-up.png

You know what I think this is??? I bet this is a logo for the Clay Bennetts' "Professional Basketball Club LLC" That the group that owns the team.

That would make sense to me. it wold explain why it has a basketball but has nothing to do with Thunder, and that the word Thunder was thrown in as an afterthought. It would explain why it is on an NBA basketball (maybe at the presentation David Stern will formally hand over the franchise or something?) Its just a generic OKC Basketball logo, that I think was designed for the ownership group and not for the team itself

Thats what my money's on, because i would be absolutely shocked if that was even a secondary logo for the actual team.

I think you are just in denial that this would be considered a logo. It's something if they put it on a basketball. Lets just hope its a fourth secondary logo or something.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Has anybody considered that this is just a joke ball for inside the office as a placeholder until the team is officially announced? Looks like a generic desk decoration as opposed to an official logo.

VmWIn6B.png

Is it possible that the team had several different options made up for investors and officials to vote on and presented them on the ball to give more realistic vibe?

i pray that this suggestion is, in fact, the truth.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Green-4

The Celtics have 2, what are the others? If you are counting St. Patrick's day jerseys, which would give the Celtics 3, then I can think of 5. (Bulls/Knicks) The (T-)Wolves should have had one.

Anyway, I most definitely agree with you on the use of brown in the NBA and sports in general. It's a shame it's so underused.

Green-4

The Celtics have 2, what are the others? If you are counting St. Patrick's day jerseys, which would give the Celtics 3, then I can think of 5. (Bulls/Knicks) The (T-)Wolves should have had one.

Anyway, I most definitely agree with you on the use of brown in the NBA and sports in general. It's a shame it's so underused.

Celtics Road, Celtics Alt, Bucks Road, Mavericks Alt.

Since we're all so into knee-jerk speculation, here's something else to chew on:

The Web site www.nba.com/thunder now comes up with the "sorry, page not found" message. A week ago it showed a blank page, while queries using other possible names, like Barons, showed up with the error message, leading us to believe that it was being readied for the new launch this week.

A sign that the OKC club had a change of heart? Not likely. But I'm just here to bring all of you some hope. Enjoy.

Archived