Chad Ocho Cinco

Audiodrama

The Bengals website still lists him as Chad Johnson. Hopefully they update it soon.

Also, I really feel sorry for anyone who is wound so tight that they're upset by this. Seriously, life's too short to worry about someone who has no impact on your life changing their name. Get over it.

Also2, WR by nature is a "selfish" position. It's the most one-on-one position on the field, and it's not unreasonable to expect that great wide receivers would be selfish players. In fact, It would almost be desirable. There are always going to be exceptions (Hines Ward comes to mind) but calling a WR "selfish" isn't exactly a burn.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also2, WR by nature is a "selfish" position. It's the most one-on-one position on the field, and it's not unreasonable to expect that great wide receivers would be selfish players. In fact, It would almost be desirable. There are always going to be exceptions (Hines Ward comes to mind) but calling a WR "selfish" isn't exactly a burn.

True, I think a WR having a self attitude is a good thing. They just can't go overboard like old T.O..

Honestly, as a free man, he is entitled to do whatever it is that he may please. Let him do what he wants. It's his career, he's the star wide receiver---not any of us or any other human being. Ocho Cinco? Ocho Cinco.
Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Ocho Cinco had a number of original celebrations in the 2005 season. After a touchdown early in the year against the Chicago Bears, he performed his version of the "river dance". In one game against the Indianapolis Colts, after scoring a touchdown Ocho Cinco knelt down on one knee and pretended to propose to a Bengals cheerleader, who accepted the mock gesture. After he had been fined several weeks in a row for excessive celebrations, Ocho Cinco celebrated his next touchdown by holding up a sign that read "DEAR NFL, PLEASE DON'T FINE ME AGAIN!!!" (and was subsequently fined by the NFL). Other celebrations included performing CPR on the football, and picking up a pylon in the end zone and using it to 'putt' the football into an imaginary golf hole then pumping his fist in a loose imitation of Tiger Woods, for which he was fined $5,000. Ocho Cinco is also known for doing an Irish jig, and even went so far as to do the Chicken Dance in an '06 game. In 2006 before a game he wore a nameplate that said "Ocho Cinco" and was fined by the NFL. On opening day 2007, he wore a jacket that read "Future HOF 20??". The next week, in Cleveland, he jumped into the Dawg Pound after a touchdown (and had beer poured on him by the fans in attendance). On November 25th, 2007 against the Titans, he pushed a cameraman aside and pretended to film the players, which drew a 15-yard penalty for using a prop (in this case the TV camera) during touchdown celebrations.

That's fking awesome.

And the only reason you might think that HE thinks the world revolves around him is because of people--like this--who even bother to comment or demean or negate his actions. Does it really matter? He's just a solid football player--a little different in character maybe, and takes the liberty to do whatever it is that he feels to make it fun for himself and the fans. Plain and simple.

Now if your kid turns 18 and changes his name to the like, you've got a problem.

Wow, that time line is way off.

The only reason I'm even the slightest bit upset by this is because my Chad Johnson jersey is now out-dated and would be open to public mockery in even the quietest of sports bars. Other than that, I don't have a problem with it as long as he catches the ball when he's supposed to this year. Last year it seemed like he would only drop the ball when it was least advantageous for the Bengals.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The assignment of nicknames, the application of jargon is an understood tool for the manipulation of behavior. We know the quote "charismatic" boss who is making up "cute" and idiosyncratic names for his or her employees. "I alone know and I alone will assign you your name." This is a powerful (and impolite) tool. It is an arrogation of power and a useful diagnostic. For those who grin and tilt their heads to have their ears rubbed at the new name have surrendered their personality to the oppressor; they have given up their soul.

I salute Chad Ocho Cinco for determining his own identity.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Is it not kind of silly to attack someone for wanting to go by a nickname or "handle" by posting on an on-line message board under the guise of a nickname or "handle"?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't know that they will - ESPN is still calling him "Chad Johnson" in their ticker, as of last night.

Let's just call him "Chad." No need to honor the toddler's whims.

Many are referring to him as "the player formerly know as Chad Johnson". I really don't think he cares what people call him, he just wanted the back of his jersey to read Ocho Cinco.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't know that they will - ESPN is still calling him "Chad Johnson" in their ticker, as of last night.

Let's just call him "Chad." No need to honor the toddler's whims.

A Sportscenter anchor referred to him specifically as Chad Ocho Cinco today (or last night).

ESPN calling him either "Chad Johnson," or "The player formally known as..." is offensive. The man is an adult and he legally changed his name. You don't have to like it, but you do need to accept it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

ESPN calling him either "Chad Johnson," or "The player formally known as..." is offensive. The man is an adult and he legally changed his name. You don't have to like it, but you do need to accept it.

They still call Adam Jones "Pacman." Maybe they're just trying to ween the change.

I wholeheartedly agree. If a coworker legally changed their name (or heck...they just preferred to be called something different all of a sudden) I'd start calling them their new name.

And if it was me, and I did it, I'd expect people to do the same, or at least make the effort until it became common.

I personally think its more childish to continue calling them their old name because you've got some kind of problem with it.

It would be alot easier to accept if he had changed his last name to some other common last name. Like Chad Miller or something...What he did was change it to something out of the ordinary, a misspelled spanish translation of his jersey number. I'm not saying I will never respect his name change, it just that things like this take a LOT more time to get used to. I'm expecting this NFL season to be filled with constant mockeries like this.

It would be alot easier to accept if he had changed his last name to some other common last name. Like Chad Miller or something...What he did was change it to something out of the ordinary, a misspelled spanish translation of his jersey number. I'm not saying I will never respect his name change, it just that things like this take a LOT more time to get used to. I'm expecting this NFL season to be filled with constant mockeries like this.

It's the guy's legal name. Whether or not it's easy for you to accept is irrelevant. It is possible though, that ESPN's policy is to report player's names as they are received from the team in media releases. In which case, it's the Bengals fault (and possibly even C.O.C.'s if he hasn't instructed the team to update his information) that his old moniker is still being used. The Eagles have had at least one player change his last name in the past couple of years, and one change his first name (going from a nickname to his natural name) and in both cases they issued releases to the media instructing them on how to refer to their players.

It's the guy's legal name. Whether or not it's easy for you to accept is irrelevant. It is possible though, that ESPN's policy is to report player's names as they are received from the team in media releases. In which case, it's the Bengals fault (and possibly even C.O.C.'s if he hasn't instructed the team to update his information) that his old moniker is still being used. The Eagles have had at least one player change his last name in the past couple of years, and one change his first name (going from a nickname to his natural name) and in both cases they issued releases to the media instructing them on how to refer to their players.

Again, though, Adam Jones said that he wanted to be called Adam Jones, and ESPN even did a piece on it, and they still call him Pacman.

Although I agree that they have to report what's on the roster, and the Bengals site still lists him as Chad Johnson (and has that on a large picture on the front page). However, Adam Jones is listed as such on the Cowboys roster and depth chart, so I'm guessing that in his case, ESPN is just trying to ween the change, comparable to how they kept calling the Rays "Devil Rays" for the first month of the season.

I wholeheartedly agree. If a coworker legally changed their name (or heck...they just preferred to be called something different all of a sudden) I'd start calling them their new name.

And if it was me, and I did it, I'd expect people to do the same, or at least make the effort until it became common.

I personally think its more childish to continue calling them their old name because you've got some kind of problem with it.

Yeah, we don't have an issue with Cassius Clay or Lew Alcindor.

You don't like his name, tough :censored:. It's legally changed.

Archived