Block S in college sports

deliver2david

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I read the title, the first thing I thought of was Michigan State and their idiotic attempt to brand themselves nationwide simply as "State," as if they have a bigger claim to it than all the other land grant schools.

My next thought was Stanford and NC State, and how one of the two (doesn't really matter which) needs to switch to a red helmet.

mainly, Michigan State for me. then NC State (why? the S is emphasized moreso than the NC, that's why), then Stanford. that cubist looking S Syracuse used to use, that says Orangemen to me moreso than a block S does, and I wouldn't even associate USC with simply an S as they themselves never do. either the angled SC, the baseball SC or either variation of the trojan head. lastly, Penn State isn't usually a "letters" school to me, they're moreso identified by the chipmunk.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

When I read the title, the first thing I thought of was Michigan State and their idiotic attempt to brand themselves nationwide simply as "State," as if they have a bigger claim to it than all the other land grant schools.

My next thought was Stanford and NC State, and how one of the two (doesn't really matter which) needs to switch to a red helmet.

They are the nations pioneer land grant institution!

State for sure! I'm a Spartan! GO GREEN!!!

I think Michigan State First. (Since I'm from Big Ten Country.) I also remember seeing the "S" on Ballcaps & Varsity Jackets there.

A close second for me is Stanford, followed by NC State then Syracuse. Although with NC State, you have the tiny "N" & "C" which makes the "S" stand out. I've also seen Syracuse use "SU" quite frequently.

I have never seen Penn State use only an "S" on their unis at all.

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

Michigan State first...

I ususally think of the Stanford "S" with the Tree in front...

I'd probably go with NC State second, even with the NC in it.

I played lacrosse and one of my coaches went to Syracuse, so he'd wear his old helmet and we'd watch 'Cuse games, so I always thought of the SU logo which is on their lacrosse helmets

I also have never seen that Penn State logo, I usually think of that lion thing they use.

And as a prospective Trojan, I always think of the SC together and only that one. (Truth be told I hate the baseball SC they use)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I'm from SEC country, but for me it's probably Sparty first, then 'cuse.

After that I'd say Stanford.

I also don't see SC's as being a block S, but rather a block S-C. I guess NC State has an emphasized block S also...and idk about that PSU one. Count me in with the Lion-head-is-all group.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I have never seen Penn State use only an "S" on their unis at all.
I also have never seen that Penn State logo, I usually think of that lion thing they use.
idk about that PSU one. Count me in with the Lion-head-is-all group

yeh, only times I can recall seeing PSU's S were while flipping through Eastbay catalogs, the first time around on a varsity jacket Lavar Arrington was wearing and the second time on a gray tee. I had a hunch, though, that in the grand tradition of idiosyncratic college baseball uniforms, PSU would be no exception. (they also employ caps with a comparatively uglier PSU...um, upon further review, this might be a club team, as I just noticed there aren't any swooshes in sight. whoda thunk it, the club team has better unis than the varsity)

BaseballTeamPhoto08.jpg

seems like we're seeing a consensus of sorts:

-nobody sees USC as strictly a block S team, as the C always gets equal billing

-opinion on whether NC State's S is a strict block S is mixed; those who say it isn't cite the presence of the NC, while those who say it is cite that the S is the largest of the three letters, and thus was intended to be the main focal point.

-as omnibus pointed out, it seems to be a regional thing: out west, Stanford. Great Lakes and midwest, Michigan State. out east, Cuse. only anomaly seems to be the south, due to the debate on whether NC State even qualifies. it may be safe to say the only folks who think of Penn State first when they see a block S live on the Penn State campus, are PSU alumni or otherwise live in or near State College, and that might be stretching it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived