Striped Endzones

yoo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recall for a few games in 98 the Cards used an AZ flag endzone, that was pretty cool.

That was an awesome end zone design. And, as others have said, ASU has had some really good designs too. The paint guy at Sun Devil Stadium needs to be brought in to work for some other teams.

I understand why -- but does anyone else not like when end zone art doesn't extend all the way to the goal/side/end lines -- especially when it's a solid color?

This drives me crazy!! I personally love the Rose Bowl look where the endzone color extends past the sideline and becomes the trim color to the 35 yd line. I wish someone would go to this look full time. Even in this photo, though, it's evident that the entire endzone isn't colored in. There has to be a reason behind this.

The Texans had a solid blue endzone with white lettering for the first season, but have went to an non-colored endzone with White text, since. The reason was the paint was killing the grass, which is understandable. I don't see why real-turf fields couldn't use more paint.

Well, the reason why teams don't paint the field to the 35 is money - doing the field as a whole costs a few hundred bucks a week, and if you have end zone art you can add several hundred more... I suspect that doing those blocks out to the 35, while attractive, adds about another $1K a week to their field maintenance costs. Not a ton of money, but when a program can pay for a couple sets of helmets or shoulder pads with that money, well, you have to prioritize.

I can't speak for college, but the NFL requires all field-related art/graphics to be approved by the Commissioner's office before application, and while there may or may not be anything in the rule book providing for it (I haven't checked to be honest), in most if not all cases you'll see at least some gap between any end zone colorization and the goal/end/sidelines; it's (allegedly) to help officials in ascertaining if a player goes out of bounds - though what the difference in contrast between blue and white (as would be the case with the Texans) and green and white is, I have no idea.

nav-logo.png

Just be grateful they're not using them for advertising...yet

Now the NFL isn't in need of money like the NHL, but I am sure this is closer then we think.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

From what I have heard, one of the reasons why the end zones on FieldTurf fields aren't painted is because the paint itself makes the field slicker than normal, with it being synthetic grass. Most teams that use that surface are multi-purpose fields for both professional and college, except for Buffalo, Indianapolis, Dallas, and Baltimore. For example, when the Superdome hosts the Sugar Bowl, the paint scheme for the game isn't even close to the other BCS games for their end zones. Personally, IMHO, I'm disappointed that the Saints still use just their wordmark outlined in gold instead of the classic look they had in the 80's and 90's. I know that they can't have the colored, sewn-in versions that the teams mentioned above have (because of Tulane playing on the same field), but there has to be a way around this somehow...maybe even pre-stitched end zones to put down for Tulane and the Saints, and then when bowl season comes around and there is an idea of who's playing in what game, they can have the end zones made up for those games. At least it wouldn't make the Dome look like a high school field every time a team comes to play.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but....

Wasn't there a time the Dome used to "roll up" the endzone, replacing "Tulane" with "Saints" graphics? I haven't been to the DOme since Katrina, but I'm pretty sure I saw, on the news, Tulane graphics on the field, at least in the endzone. So, in a round about way I am asking, on Field Turf, can't they have a separate endzone... or is this a matter of a seam being hazardous?

Also, on the Field Turf, could they simply dye the plastic when it is being produced? ie, Saints would have have a 10 yard strip molded in black, then paint graphics on it? Or are we back to the seams or some other issue?

Wasn't there a time the Dome used to "roll up" the endzone, replacing "Tulane" with "Saints" graphics? I haven't been to the DOme since Katrina, but I'm pretty sure I saw, on the news, Tulane graphics on the field, at least in the endzone. So, in a round about way I am asking, on Field Turf, can't they have a separate endzone... or is this a matter of a seam being hazardous?

Also, on the Field Turf, could they simply dye the plastic when it is being produced? ie, Saints would have have a 10 yard strip molded in black, then paint graphics on it? Or are we back to the seams or some other issue?

They paint the fieldturf like grass. They do this at Giants Stadium as well as a few other stadiums.

Some stadiums just had plain fiedturf put in, and they paint it as if it were grass (Giants Stadium, Foxborough) Some have the yardlines and field boundries made in white, and then just re-paint the endzones and field graphics (Superdome, Georgia Dome), and some have the yardlines, boundries, and endzone and field graphics done in fieldturf (Ralph Wilson Sadium, Lucas Oil Stadium)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Isn't FieldTurf a "once it's down, it's down" thing, at least for the season? As I understand it, it's not in pieces like Astroturf was, so you can't for example take up the Saints' endzones and replace them with Tulane graphics.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I understand why -- but does anyone else not like when end zone art doesn't extend all the way to the goal/side/end lines -- especially when it's a solid color?

This drives me crazy!! I personally love the Rose Bowl look where the endzone color extends past the sideline and becomes the trim color to the 35 yd line. I wish someone would go to this look full time. Even in this photo, though, it's evident that the entire endzone isn't colored in. There has to be a reason behind this.

The NCAA, in their infinite wisdom, has determined that colored endzones that extend all the way to the boundaries on the four sides make it more difficult for officials to determine in bounds plays. They have required that at least some green exist between the colored design and the white stripes, which is why most college designs do not extend to the boundaries.

From what I have heard, one of the reasons why the end zones on FieldTurf fields aren't painted is because the paint itself makes the field slicker than normal, with it being synthetic grass.

But couldn't they just make the synthetic fibers themselves a color other than green? I'm pretty sure that's what Boise State does.

From what I have heard, one of the reasons why the end zones on FieldTurf fields aren't painted is because the paint itself makes the field slicker than normal, with it being synthetic grass.

But couldn't they just make the synthetic fibers themselves a color other than green? I'm pretty sure that's what Boise State does.

My high school does too.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Most Field Turf Endzones and other graphics are different colored turf instead of painted.

See JQK's post above for a breakdown of the various options.

Another question about it...isn't there a special paint that actually washes off much easier or am I crazy and they just use the same paint htey use for grass?

They paint the fieldturf like grass. They do this at Giants Stadium as well as a few other stadiums.

Some stadiums just had plain fiedturf put in, and they paint it as if it were grass (Giants Stadium, Foxborough) Some have the yardlines and field boundries made in white, and then just re-paint the endzones and field graphics (Superdome, Georgia Dome), and some have the yardlines, boundries, and endzone and field graphics done in fieldturf (Ralph Wilson Sadium, Lucas Oil Stadium)

I know for the Ravens the colors are dyed plastic patches that are sewn into the green like a patch. Also I noticed that the Ravens are using GREEN rubber pellets as infill. The shoes looked like they just mowed the grass in them also it eliminated the "black splash" that is seen when there are tackles and cuts.ravensgreenshoes.png

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

From what I have heard, one of the reasons why the end zones on FieldTurf fields aren't painted is because the paint itself makes the field slicker than normal, with it being synthetic grass. Most teams that use that surface are multi-purpose fields for both professional and college, except for Buffalo, Indianapolis, Dallas, and Baltimore. For example, when the Superdome hosts the Sugar Bowl, the paint scheme for the game isn't even close to the other BCS games for their end zones. Personally, IMHO, I'm disappointed that the Saints still use just their wordmark outlined in gold instead of the classic look they had in the 80's and 90's. I know that they can't have the colored, sewn-in versions that the teams mentioned above have (because of Tulane playing on the same field), but there has to be a way around this somehow...maybe even pre-stitched end zones to put down for Tulane and the Saints, and then when bowl season comes around and there is an idea of who's playing in what game, they can have the end zones made up for those games. At least it wouldn't make the Dome look like a high school field every time a team comes to play.

The Bills don't use FieldTurf. The stuff they use is the color that it looks like too. Everything in the opener was not painted or dyed except the two mini NFL logos on the 25 yard lines, the Kickoff 2008 logo, and the GU63 logo. Those are painted on.

Isn't FieldTurf a "once it's down, it's down" thing, at least for the season? As I understand it, it's not in pieces like Astroturf was, so you can't for example take up the Saints' endzones and replace them with Tulane graphics.

I think so...

The Jets & Giants used to have the astroturf replaced each week...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

They have required that at least some green exist between the colored design and the white stripes, which is why most college designs do not extend to the boundaries.

Is it required, or encouraged? Looking at the Florida State photos, the garnet endzones extend all the way to the sidelines and endlines.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived