Redesigning the MLB Series

raysox

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys, I finished my Orioles concept. My basis on this was bringing back some logos(like most of my others have been).

I brought back the swinging bird, and bird head logo. I updated them ever so slightly. I kept the O's logo the same, and kept the quaternary the same.(love that logo). Enjoy.

BAL2.png

Now on to the jerseys. I dropped the front numbers, and added a second colour on the sleeves. I also chose orange and went with a retro look.

Jersey-1.png

So C&C please. Don't know who's next, stay tuned.

I would of prefer the bird on the cap or, a black cap with an orange block b

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

For my next concept, the oldest team in the MLB. The Cincinnati Red Stockings. One thing I don't like is the different fonts the Reds use. They have a very cool script font, but use a block font on the main logo. I changed the font inside the wishbone C, to the new one. I took out the black shadow behind Mr. Redlegs, because it seems unessicary, and they are called the Reds. Enjoy the logos.

CIN.png

I've never noticed how creepy Mr. Redlegs looks.

Now to the jerseys. I limited the use of black, only accents on the numbers, and the C's. I changed the name, and numbers on back to the new font instead of block.

jerseys-1.png

So comments on this please. Next? I'll surprise you.

Also regarding cap logos on my O's concept, I dropped the bird logo, because it seemed to detailed for that package.

Reds look preety good, why dont you modernize the Mr.RedStockings logo, you should give him a "modern style" hat and make the uniform match the home set you made. That would look preety good.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

1890s pedo-stache. He has sugared confections in his steamboat.

I don't like what the Reds wear now, so it stands to reason that I'm not really going to like your concept, sorry. I realize the dissonance between the old-timey typeface and the varsity-serif of the C-REDS logo, but you went in the wrong direction: instead of updating a timeless logo to accommodate a contrived font, drop the font and look more timeless. Between the piping, the drop shadows, the weird little curls of that font, and the pair of sleeve patches, I find it much too busy. There's just not a lot one can do nor should do with the Cincinnati Reds, in my opinion: you have to go minimalist. That means no drop shadows or custom typefaces or anything: just the information a jersey should provide, written in red on white or grey, red stockings, black shoes. That's all I ask of the Reds. There are other places in baseball to be fancy, but the self-proclaimed Oldest Team In The Bigs shouldn't resort to ephemeral bells and whistles like pseudo-antique lettering or extraneous black.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1890s pedo-stache. He has sugared confections in his steamboat.

I don't like what the Reds wear now, so it stands to reason that I'm not really going to like your concept, sorry. I realize the dissonance between the old-timey typeface and the varsity-serif of the C-REDS logo, but you went in the wrong direction: instead of updating a timeless logo to accommodate a contrived font, drop the font and look more timeless. Between the piping, the drop shadows, the weird little curls of that font, and the pair of sleeve patches, I find it much too busy. There's just not a lot one can do nor should do with the Cincinnati Reds, in my opinion: you have to go minimalist. That means no drop shadows or custom typefaces or anything: just the information a jersey should provide, written in red on white or grey, red stockings, black shoes. That's all I ask of the Reds. There are other places in baseball to be fancy, but the self-proclaimed Oldest Team In The Bigs shouldn't resort to ephemeral bells and whistles like pseudo-antique lettering or extraneous black.

If your plan would be to drop all the black, why black shoes? Why not red shoes?

I like what you have done with my beloved Reds. I like the use of the new font in the wishbone C logo. The only thing I don't care for is the National League patch on the sleeve, it's too much like the Cubs and I can tell you fans in the Queen City don't care for comparisons to the Cubs. As for the one reply about the color of the Reds shoes, the black goes back to the days of the 60's and 70's when those teams wore black. During the 80's and early 90's the team wore red shoes, as I had to during my time in the minors with the Reds.

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

If your plan would be to drop all the black, why black shoes? Why not red shoes?
The Reds' grooming rules also included guidelines for wearing the uniform. In major league baseball, a club generally provides most of the equipment and clothing needed for play. However, players are required to supply their gloves and shoes themselves. Many players take advantage of this rule by entering into sponsorship arrangements with shoe manufacturers. Through the mid-1980s, the Reds had a strict rule that players were to wear only plain black shoes with no prominent logo.

I had read that a while ago and had that in mind.

• 4 weeks later...

This concept came out of left field. Pun very much intended. I have my concept for the Giants. I wanted to focus on adding the Golden Gate Bridge into the logo set. I did that with 2 of my logos. The primary, which I made from scratch. I also added a tertiary logo. I wsh I could say I made it, but I found it(link doesn't work, go to sportslogos.net.com, and find San Francisco Giants Special.). I've never seen it before, so I included it. I dropped the drop shaddow on everything. Umm, I think that's it. Enjoy the logos.

SF.png

For the jerseys, I kept them the same for the most part. I kept the beige home jersey. One thing I changed is the piping colour on all 3 jerseys. So here's my jerseys!

SFJrs.png

C&C please. I'll work on getting some more of these done. FCATs are coming up, so I'll have lots of downtime. I'll be sketching logos to show you.

Next? I have an idea for the Tribe, but it's not looking good on paint. I'll see what I can do.

All those outlines on the SF make it harder to read than it needs to be on the hat. Just orange on black suffices. WhileI don't care for your double-outlining scheme, at least you stuck to it throughout, and I'm glad you put names back on the home uniforms. Maybe I'm just not enough of a fan to know the entire roster without assistance, but when you're trotting out the likes of Kevin Frandsen, Fred Lewis, and Merkin "The Crotch Wig" Valdez, you owe it to the fans to help them out a little.

Wasn't that G-Gate logo a Nike thing?

I like the direction of the new primary logo, but I think it could be tweaked. With the outlines, it just feels to light-colored. Is the word too much negative space? I'm not sure. Anyway the block GIANTS wordmark would look better if the white space (cream on the script) was just colored in black, leaving only an orange outline.

In fact, for pretty much everything the outlines just seem too busy.

Also I've seen that tertiary design before and I like, but one of my peeves is that it doesn't match the G in the wordmark. Maybe make it thinner and have the bridge stick out past the G more?

I hope you keep doing these, I particularly enjoyed the White Sox set.

Edit: A idea I just came up with after I posted, maybe turn the cream background of the primary logo into something resembling the ribbon on the front of a cable car, like so:

cable-01.jpg

All those outlines on the SF make it harder to read than it needs to be on the hat. Just orange on black suffices. WhileI don't care for your double-outlining scheme, at least you stuck to it throughout.

The only update I really did to the SF logo was add beige to it, which seemed to compliment it very well. Also I added the outline, to separate light from dark. Orange and Black seemed to dark, but when I would add biege around it, it seemed off.

i think the black giants alt would look better in orange script.

I tried that, but the beige, on white didn't look good. I wanted 3 layers, to be consistent

I like the direction of the new primary logo, but I think it could be tweaked. With the outlines, it just feels to light-colored. Is the word too much negative space? I'm not sure. Anyway the block GIANTS wordmark would look better if the white space (cream on the script) was just colored in black, leaving only an orange outline.

In fact, for pretty much everything the outlines just seem too busy.

Also I've seen that tertiary design before and I like, but one of my peeves is that it doesn't match the G in the wordmark. Maybe make it thinner and have the bridge stick out past the G more?

I hope you keep doing these, I particularly enjoyed the White Sox set.

Edit: A idea I just came up with after I posted, maybe turn the cream background of the primary logo into something resembling the ribbon on the front of a cable car, like so:

cable-01.jpg

Yeah. I see where you're coming from on negative space. I really wanted to include the GGB to go with the tertiary logo. Without it, it reminded me of the Nats logo. On the caps, the black outline at the very end is to show what the logo would look like on a cap(really, that's why I add it). Then having a black outline on a black cap wouldn't make sence, so it's really 1 outline. I think the cable car could work, but San Francisco area is more recognized for the GGB.

Also yes, I will keep doing this series. A piece of me would be missing if I didn't finish this.

I have the Cardinals logo set almost done. Nothing major, but changes that makes the logos bolder.

There are other places in baseball to be fancy, but the self-proclaimed Oldest Team In The Bigs shouldn't resort to ephemeral bells and whistles like pseudo-antique lettering or extraneous black.

I agree with you on the black, but Oldest Team in the Bigs? Pshaw. Third oldest, at best. No matter what pretensions the Reds may try to peddle.

Archived