2009 Minor-League Baseball Logo Unveilings

Brian in Boston

Princeton Rays Announce New Team Colors, Ballcaps, and Logo

The anticipated change of the Princeton team name to "Rays" became a reality on December 1, 2008 along with the announcement by Princeton Baseball Association, Inc. of a change in it's team colors, ballcaps, and logo effective immediately.
The new team colors as described in the broadest of terms are navy blue, a lighter blue trim known to locals as either sky blue or Carolina blue, and a bright yellow. The uniforms the "new look" P-Rays will wear on the field beginning in 2009 will be the exact same style of uniforms that the Tampa Bay Rays made familiar nationwide in their spirited march to the 2008 World Series. Both the Princeton white home uniforms and the gray road jerseys will have just the one word "Rays" prominently across the chest. The word Rays will be in navy blue with the lighter blue trimming the letters in a shadow fashion. Affixed on the enclosed part of the letter "R" will be a yellow burst of light pattern.
As for the new ballcaps the P-Rays will be wearing on the field, the team will be wearing the exact same hat for all games, both home and away, during the 2009 season. The caps will be navy blue with a large white "P" shadowed with the lighter blue trimming. The yellow burst of light pattern will once again appear inside the enclosed portion of the "P".

2slftrlmla7.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really like that Clippers anchor/C logo.

But I sure hope that's not their new wordmark, it's way to generic.

I disagree...I think it fits well...the identity was long overdue for a change.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I really like that Clippers anchor/C logo.

But I sure hope that's not their new wordmark, it's way to generic.

I disagree...I think it fits well...the identity was long overdue for a change.

I think something like that could work, but I think it looks a lot like the font Discrimihater has been using, forever.

discrimbanner2.gif

3984.jpeg.300.jpeg

Edit: Here's a more recent signage. :P

It is a bit different, but it just made me think of it haha.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I aint seen that old signage in a long while, thanks for the laugh :D

with that out of the way, the Princeton Rays' new logo elicits a similar yawn from me to the one I unleashed when the big Rays' current threads came out. I liked the Columbus Clippers' previous logo, and they had a decent alt version, so I'm a little sad to see that go, but I like the anchor-C. The Lake Erie Crushers disappoint me somewhat, I figure a grape motif (as long as it was superior to the Jamestown Jammers' garbage) would have been possible to do well, but although the batter's nice IMO, they might as well have simply called themselves Avon Hitters, or Lake Erie Baseball Team...or Ohio Players. Now onto the Scrappers...or as some of yall now know em, the Crap. The chain on the primary could have been placed in a less subliminal manner, but on the upside it won't appear on the uniform, so I guess it could've been worse.

The Lowell Spinners' new set, I'd like to see the solo loom without the face, as the eyes and mouth look like they were slapped on at the last second. The overall package is pretty good though, just get rid of the loom's face.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

with that out of the way, the Princeton Rays' new logo elicits a similar yawn from me to the one I unleashed when the big Rays' current threads came out. I liked the Columbus Clippers' previous logo, and they had a decent alt version, so I'm a little sad to see that go, but I like the anchor-C. The Lake Erie Crushers disappoint me somewhat, I figure a grape motif (as long as it was superior to the Jamestown Jammers' garbage) would have been possible to do well, but although the batter's nice IMO, they might as well have simply called themselves Avon Hitters, or Lake Erie Baseball Team...or Ohio Players. Now onto the Scrappers...or as some of yall now know em, the Crap. The chain on the primary could have been placed in a less subliminal manner, but on the upside it won't appear on the uniform, so I guess it could've been worse.

That would have been "fire!"

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Looks like the Columbus Clippers, new Triple A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians, are getting ready to reveal their new identity. These new items, including on field caps, are on their website.

Clippers Primary cap

Clippers Red Alt

Clippers Royal alt

New Clippers wordmark? (t-shirt)

Aw, man. Every time the Clippers make a change, they make their look suck even more than before. Wow.

On the other hand, I just ordered $64 of stuff from their web site featuring their old logos that I wouldn't have bought otherwise.

nav-logo.png

Looks like the Columbus Clippers, new Triple A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians, are getting ready to reveal their new identity. These new items, including on field caps, are on their website.

Clippers Primary cap

Clippers Red Alt

Clippers Royal alt

New Clippers wordmark? (t-shirt)

The primary cap and the new wordmark are solid. Perhaps not an improvement on the old Cubs-like C logo with the ship, which is one of the great minor-league cap logos, but they're both solid, B-level or better logos.

But the red alt just looks like it risks muddying the team's identity. Then the royal alt comes along and slaps you upside the head for not realizing that muddy is the team's new visual identity. The little ship is tacked on, the cap will clash with any uniform with much navy in it, and the imbalance of the weighty little ship and the heavy part of the C on one side and the open ends of the C on the other make this a terrible cap logo. Leaves me expecting the Clippers to be a minor-league equivalent of the Twins or the Mets: A very ugly team that nonetheless has some very good uniform parts.

20082614447.png

Sophomoric sports blog "With Leather" had this to say about the W-S Dash logo:

I have to say, I really like the new logo for the Single-A Winston-Salem Dash. Very strong, very masculine. A sense of urgency and desire. Its players won?t settle for getting to third base; they?ll get home no matter what. They?ll be purple-helmeted warriors out there.

Hmmm....

ws-dash.jpg

"Epic Phallus," perhaps?

That would have been "fire!"

Probably would have been a rollercoaster of lawsuits, though.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Sophomoric sports blog "With Leather" had this to say about the W-S Dash logo:
I have to say, I really like the new logo for the Single-A Winston-Salem Dash. Very strong, very masculine. A sense of urgency and desire. Its players won?t settle for getting to third base; they?ll get home no matter what. They?ll be purple-helmeted warriors out there.

Hmmm....

ws-dash.jpg

"Epic Phallus," perhaps?

I'm glad someone else has brought this up. One of the morning shows around here found the logo and were amazing that something that looked so unmistakably like one of the things that makes a man a man actually made it as the final logo.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Archived