2009 Minor-League Baseball Logo Unveilings

Brian in Boston

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The orange highlight on the Bisons left side of the head is totally useless. Looking like a Horses Mane.

Im inclined to walk over to Phoenix Design Works and hand out some slaps.

Design to me is trying to be original in each work, push the limits and create an iconic identity. They have failed in all aspects.

But who am i to say people keep coming back.

More from the Clippers:

I still don't like the red alt as a part of the overall uniform set, but this is somewhat better than I anticipated. Straighten up the numbers on the back and this would be a fine uniform set. Not as good as what the Clippers wore before the Nats affiliation, but better than what they were wearing the last couple of years.

20082614447.png

If the cap the manager was wearing in his press conference is any indication, the cap logo is the full circle logo, complete with text, skyline, ball and charging bison. I'm hoping that's not actually the on-field cap, but that'd be my guess.

As an aside, as the orange and blue seat cushion shown on the website scroll shows, this logo converts terribly to two color.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Buffalo doesn't have a "skyline", let alone a skyline iconic enough for a logo - even a minor-league logo.

Of course it has a skyline. As to whether it's iconic enough for a logo, well, neither is the part of the New York skyline in the Mets logo. Only someone who lived there would recognize it, which is also true of the Buffalo skyline. So it's appropriate.

You're right that it technically does have a skyline, but when the tallest building is 529', it's certainly not a logo worthy skyline. While residents might recognize a silhouette of the CBD, nobody outside of the area will.

gfys.

we may not be a huge city, but you know its ours when our :censored:ty thruway drives past it.

What does this even mean?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In the past, I've defended Phoenix Design Works when I've felt that their work was being unfairly lambasted in a knee-jerk fashion. That said, this logo is not - in my opinion - some of their strongest work.

The bison is far too detailed. I also don't believe that the face of the animal is particularly well-rendered. The inclusion of a skyline element - presumably to echo that which is found in the logo of the parent New York Mets - isn't necessary, particularly given the fact that the bison obscures so much of it. Plus, is the depiction in the logo a remotely accurate rendering of Buffalo's skyline? Based upon my recollection, it seems overstated. Overall the logo is far too busy, with too many disparate design elements fighting for attention.

I'm not a fan of this mark.

Why does it look like the Bison is smiling? Or is it just me?

I noticed it too. It's probably because he's running out of Buffalo. But he's running towards Canada, so I don't know why he'd be happy.

I guess I can relate since I ran to Raleigh. The first logo I can relate to?

Why does it look like the Bison is smiling? Or is it just me?

I noticed it too. It's probably because he's running out of Buffalo. But he's running towards Canada, so I don't know why he'd be happy.

He should be frowning if he's heading to Canada seeing as we can't seem to keep interest going in a minor league baseball team

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I know everyone here is entitled to his or her own opinion, but in my opinon, those of you who think this is an upgrade are certifiably nuts.

First things first...beveling. In very few cases, it works...here it doesn't. I figured that since this is a collective group that likes pictures more than words, here's just a start of what is fundamentally wrong with this identity:

buffalo_bisons_sucks.jpg

Now granted that the previous logo was in the bottom quarter of MiLB logos, but this ranks below that. Keeping the same general premise, here's what could have made this a great logo:

1. A unique wordmark or go retro and use the Bisons' script in the baseball card image above

2. Simplify the buffalo...you can keep tuffs of hair in select places, but keep the mane out of it completely...seriously, no one considers embroidery anymore

3. Remove the unnecessary shadow behind the skyline

4. Do not shear the skyline

5. Remove the black "little city" skyline

6. Go with four team colors max: Mets' blue and orange, black and Buffalo Brown

7. Eliminate one of the outlines encapsulating the logo

Totally agree on all points, thanks for dissecting this in a more "design critique" manner. The more I look at it, the whole log is out of proportion, the ball overpowers everything, there is no emphasis on any one element.

It will be interesting to see how this breaks out onto the cap and jersey. Will the used beveled font on the jersey? Just the bison on the cap?

One thought to go along with yours to salvage this:

? Buffalo really only has two-three buldings that are recognizable, city hall, the erie basin marina lighthouse and the HSBC building. Play one or more of those up instead of the whole thing, it just gets lost and pointless.

Once again the city of Buffalo is dissapionted by a sports team.

Archived