2009 Minor-League Baseball Logo Unveilings

Brian in Boston

Now I think Phoenix has sunk to new lows.

I kept asking myself, "Why would you skew the skyline like that? And I swear I have seen that done before."

And I was right:

DoretAll-Star.jpg

The 1998 NBA All-Star Game Weekend logo on the left was created by Michael Doret (http://www.michaeldoret.com/doret/artwork/allstar.html). As anyone can plainly see, the skewed buildings are WAY too similar for my liking (just look at the very left of both skylines!!!).

It's unbelieveable that PDW keeps getting work considering their output is so bad on so many levels. But to swipe someone else's work on top of it...that's criminal.

Spread the word.

I can see only a slight similarity between the two logos', not nearly enough to be "criminal". I doubt that claim would hold up in any court.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The skyline "idea" is nod to their parent ballclub's logo as mentioned. The buffalo is a little over-detailed and looks like he's on fire! The word mark/font is uninspired. Phoenix needs to create their own fonts. It seems that they are tweaking an existing font.

I do like it better than the "Sliding Mascot" logo though. Alhtough, that one wa REALLY bad...

How could you draw a skyline with blue skyscrapers and have it not look similar?

I know a lot of people here dislike Phoenix in a knee jerk way, but come on.

Well, you could avoid drawing the exact same buildings, for one. Then you could also avoid setting your skyline at the same angle with the same drop-shadow thickness. Just to name a couple.

The reason that Phoenix gets so much negative reaction here is because their work is often sub-standard, uninspired or overly referential. The grief they get is only the grief they earn.

Buffalo doesn't have a "skyline", let alone a skyline iconic enough for a logo - even a minor-league logo.

Of course it has a skyline. As to whether it's iconic enough for a logo, well, neither is the part of the New York skyline in the Mets logo. Only someone who lived there would recognize it, which is also true of the Buffalo skyline. So it's appropriate.

You're right that it technically does have a skyline, but when the tallest building is 529', it's certainly not a logo worthy skyline. While residents might recognize a silhouette of the CBD, nobody outside of the area will.

St. Louis' biggest building isn't that much taller, but I don't think anyone would deny that it was logo-worthy. If we went by height alone, Buffalo's skyline should be more iconic than Paris'.

Point is... it's not building height that makes a skyline logo-worthy, it's distinctiveness and uniqueness. I agree, Buffalo doesn't necessarily have that either, but in this context (the Mets tie-in) I can give it a pass.

Do you think the ball clubs or designers ever look at a board like this, see what the masses are saying, and think, "Boy, did we screw up...."?

Or are we too critical on the whole? Can someone point out a horrific design that is beloved?

Do you think the ball clubs or designers ever look at a board like this, see what the masses are saying, and think, "Boy, did we screw up...."?

Or are we too critical on the whole? Can someone point out a horrific design that is beloved?

Ball-in-glove.

Well, ok, I exaggerate. But it's not good design.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Ball-in-glove.

Well, ok, I exaggerate. But it's not good design.

By today's standards, the Ball-in-glove probably is lacking. And, maybe, because our fondness of remembering the "good ol' days", the BIG receives too many accolades from people today.

But, if you consider the time and the logos used by other teams in that era, the Ball-in-glove is a very good design for the Brewers. If you consider that say, the Orioles probably couldn't have made a "B" and an"O" work as a baseball glove, I have to say the BIG was a very good logo.

Other than Barrel Man there isn't a lot that that team can do graphically. Nevermind the BIG doesn't represent beermakers, it did represent the Brewers at the time.

Not to mention the BiG has transcended baseball in Milwaukee and often gets used to represent the city as a whole (not unlike the Yankees' NY). One of the rock radio stations in the city distributes t-shirts with a "devil horn" version of it (can't seem to find an image on google though).

Buffalo doesn't have a "skyline", let alone a skyline iconic enough for a logo - even a minor-league logo.

Of course it has a skyline. As to whether it's iconic enough for a logo, well, neither is the part of the New York skyline in the Mets logo. Only someone who lived there would recognize it, which is also true of the Buffalo skyline. So it's appropriate.

You're right that it technically does have a skyline, but when the tallest building is 529', it's certainly not a logo worthy skyline. While residents might recognize a silhouette of the CBD, nobody outside of the area will.

St. Louis' biggest building isn't that much taller, but I don't think anyone would deny that it was logo-worthy. If we went by height alone, Buffalo's skyline should be more iconic than Paris'.

Point is... it's not building height that makes a skyline logo-worthy, it's distinctiveness and uniqueness. I agree, Buffalo doesn't necessarily have that either, but in this context (the Mets tie-in) I can give it a pass.

I totally agree. There are very few skylines that are "iconic" enough to be instantly recognizable as logos. To be more precise, there are very few buildings that are iconic enough to make skyline renderings recognizable. St. Louis' arch would certainly qualify, despite it's lack of height. Chicago's Sears and Hancock, with their dual-antennas, certainly qualify, as does NYC's Chrysler and ESB. We all have pride in our cities, and most of us want to point out that there are cool buildings there, but looking at it from an objective standpoint, most just don't make great logos.

However for a minor-league logo that is emulating the parent club (and marketing primarily to a limited region), I'll concede that it's OK.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Durham Bulls announced new jerseys and a new road cap design for the upcoming season.

According to the press release the uniforms will feature the Primary logo on the left chest with the Rays logo on the left sleeve. Rays piping will also be on the jersey.

Also, the new road cap consists of a blue cap with a silver Primary logo.

1242.jpg

1246.jpg

1244.jpg

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

Now I think Phoenix has sunk to new lows.

I kept asking myself, "Why would you skew the skyline like that? And I swear I have seen that done before."

And I was right:

DoretAll-Star.jpg

The 1998 NBA All-Star Game Weekend logo on the left was created by Michael Doret (http://www.michaeldoret.com/doret/artwork/allstar.html). As anyone can plainly see, the skewed buildings are WAY too similar for my liking (just look at the very left of both skylines!!!).

It's unbelieveable that PDW keeps getting work considering their output is so bad on so many levels. But to swipe someone else's work on top of it...that's criminal.

Spread the word.

Besides that they are blue and tilted there aren't much similarities.

jNTsTyQ.png

What did the old one look like?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it.

1105.jpg1114.jpg

Love the jersey, hate the sleeve patch.

1250.JPG

Can't say I'm a fan of the de-emphasis of orange in favor of silver on the caps...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Neither am I, but it's only the road cap.

But is the simplified piping enough of an improvement that even with the road cap, the new unis are an upgrade? I say yes, by a slim margin.

But to me, the cap itself is jarring enough that I'd say it doesn't go with the rest of the package at all. It just looks like a bad Dallas Cowboys fashion cap.

Even if they kept a teensy bit of orange piping, I might not mind it. As it stands, it just doesn't work.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived