The "Joe Furgeson Rule"

wdm1219inpenna

I remember during the 1980s, watching the Buffalo Bills on NBC, and the announcer mentioning that the Bills QB Joe Furgeson requested the Bills change the color of their helmets to help him out during games. At the time, all of the AFC East teams, except for the Jets who went to solid Kelly Green helmets, wore white helmets (Patriots, Colts & Dolphins). Management selected red for the Bills helmet, and it got me to thinking about whether the NFL should adopt a rule when similar looking helmets are being used.

The Vikings would not really be affected by this rule, as they have purple, and no other NFL team has purple helmets. The Ravens have some purple in their scheme, but the helmets are themselves black.

Currently the Jets & Dolphins in the AFC East both have white helmets. I'd like to see a rule where the Jets would have to wear green helmets when playing the Dolphins. I think it would be interesting, and would make for quite a market, if the NFL teams had secondary helmets, so as not to get confused. I don't know how the Cowboys vs Lions would work. Possibly the Cowboys wearing their old white throwback helmets. Or the Lions vs the Raiders, since both have silver helmets.

This was just something I thought of today as I sit here playing Madden 2008, using the throwback uniforms of the Bills & Patriots, and wondered what your feelings were regarding this idea. The Browns vs. Bengals could prove challenging too, since both helmets are orange in color, although the Bengals do have the black stripes. Or for that matter, the red helmets of the Bills vs the red helmets of the Chiefs. I'd say let Buffalo wear the white version helmet, since KC has only had red throughout their history.

Interesting but if it really made that much difference you would see a team take advantage of it by using a glowing, neon helmet that really stood out.

To me a bigger issue was a couple of years ago when the Chargers/Broncos played and the Chargers had navy helmet, white jersey, navy pants and the Broncos had navy helmet, navy shirt, white pants. When play starts and guys are tumbling, it all looks the same. In that instance I'd say force the Chargers to wear white pants so as to better distinguish them from the home team.

With all of the all one color sets these days, a perfect yet unrealistic solution would be to have the home team wear dark jersey/pants and the away team wear white jersey/pants.

While I would love to see more alternate helmets, the truth is that it's not at all difficult to tell the players or uniforms and helmets apart when teams with similar colors meet. Someone should have just told Joe Ferguson to look for the guy in the same jersey as the one he's wearing.

Not a bad idea though wdmpenna.

BB52Big.jpg

Hmm. The "clash helmet" as opposed to the "clash kit" in soccer.

Definitely an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's needed.

I wouldn't mind it, because I like seeing everything get changed up. However, it could prove hellacious on equipment managers. Granted some teams have throwback helmets and all...but many teams don't. So it would be a lot of hassle to adjust to.

Still, think of the possibilities...Neon Green Seahawks. Powder or Navy Titans. Orange Dolphins and Bears. White KC Chiefs. Black Raiders.

I like the sound of some of this.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Seahawks wanted to keep their silver helmets (with the updated logo) for the road and then the current blue home when they did their uniform change 6 or 7 years ago.

NFL wanted no part of that and SEA had to pick one or the other.

I don't see an issue with the "alternate" helmet or the helmet that's part of a uniform set. If teams can have three pants that are tossed around and put together with any jersey color, again, why not helmets?

Some teams did have clash helmets in Tecmo Super Bowl. I used to play as the Oilers a lot, and when I played against the Dolphins, the Oilers would wear blue helmets and pants with a white jersey. Not a bad look, really, but I'm a supporter of football teams wearing only one helmet. Pants and jerseys can vary, but a team's helmet is as much of their identity as their primary logo.

If you can't tell your team's helmet from the other team's, then you don't have the skills to make it in pro football.

Its not for the fans, its for the players on the field. When guys are flying around that fast you need to be able to make quick decisions, especially if you are a quarterback and say, for example, you are looking over the line of scrimmage and can only see heads.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Seahawks wanted to keep their silver helmets (with the updated logo) for the road and then the current blue home when they did their uniform change 6 or 7 years ago.

ACTUALLY IT WAS THE OTHER WAY AROUND, PROPOSED UNIFORM COMBOS FOR THE SEAHAWKS WAS HOME-SILVER HELMETS, SLATE BLUE JERSEYS AND WHITE PANTS.

ROAD-SLATE BLUE HELMET, WHITE JERSEY WITH BLUE PANTS.

YOU SEE WHAT THEY DID, ALL BLUE AT HOME AND ALL WHITE ON THE ROAD WITH THE BLUE HELMET

If it gets the Eagles a silver helmet with green / black wings, I'm all for it.

Make it so. </Jean-Luc Picard>

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If you can't tell your team's helmet from the other team's, then you don't have the skills to make it in pro football.

Its not for the fans, its for the players on the field. When guys are flying around that fast you need to be able to make quick decisions, especially if you are a quarterback and say, for example, you are looking over the line of scrimmage and can only see heads.

I stand by my statement. If a player can't tell helmets apart, perhaps he should stick to playing semipro.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I remember during the 1980s, watching the Buffalo Bills on NBC, and the announcer mentioning that the Bills QB Joe Furgeson requested the Bills change the color of their helmets to help him out during games. At the time, all of the AFC East teams, except for the Jets who went to solid Kelly Green helmets, wore white helmets (Patriots, Colts & Dolphins). Management selected red for the Bills helmet, and it got me to thinking about whether the NFL should adopt a rule when similar looking helmets are being used.

I don't think Ferguson requested it; I think Wilson made the change because Ferguson threw too many interceptions in his last few years. He only wore the red shell in his final season with the Bills anyway.

And I say absolutely not to the helmet suggestion. As several posts say - if you can't tell the difference, you don't need to be playing at any level higher than middle school.

ACTUALLY IT WAS THE OTHER WAY AROUND, PROPOSED UNIFORM COMBOS FOR THE SEAHAWKS WAS HOME-SILVER HELMETS, SLATE BLUE JERSEYS AND WHITE PANTS.

ROAD-SLATE BLUE HELMET, WHITE JERSEY WITH BLUE PANTS.

YOU SEE WHAT THEY DID, ALL BLUE AT HOME AND ALL WHITE ON THE ROAD WITH THE BLUE HELMET

WHAT? CAN'T HEAR YOU!

I stand by my statement. If a player can't tell helmets apart, perhaps he should stick to playing semipro.

So this is why you're not on a pro roster at all? :P

If it gets the Eagles a silver helmet with green / black wings, I'm all for it.

Make it so. </Jean-Luc Picard>

TREKKIE!!!

(Let me shut up...I'm a closet Trekkie my samn self. FWIW, my alter-ego is/was Lt. Cmdr Geordi La Forge...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

So this is why you're not on a pro roster at all? :P

Nah. Exactly the opposite. Telling helmets apart is just about the only skill I'd have on the field.

I'll also supplement by previous arguement with this one... if you've designed a helmet that pro players can't tell apart from another on the field, you have no business designing uniforms at the pro level.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived