College Football Bowl Thread

ProvidenceRI

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can Texas drop in the polls anyway?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

God I hate Columbus, Ohio.

I'm a happy man tonight!

Well, remind me never to visit Milton, Ontario, Canada.

That was pretty heartbreaking, but it did a few things for the Buckeyes. 1 They showed they can hang again with a top rated team. 2 They were supposed to get blown out and didn't 3 Texas was supposed to blow them out and will no longer be given the AP title.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I gotta agree with Bucfan, that was a fantastic finish to a pretty boring game.

The entire 2008/9 Bowl season has been boring as :censored:.

My interest in this bowl season has been little.

Working a lot contributed to this, but there weren't many exciting matchups that made me want to sit down and watch a few minutes of to begin with. Of course, I watched the entire Georgia game (though watched a little of the Winter Classic during the commercials), some of the Rose Bowl, and most of the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, but other than that, I haven't watched much of the bowl games.

God I hate Columbus, Ohio.

I'm a happy man tonight!

Well, remind me never to visit Milton, Ontario, Canada.

Maybe it's the four downs that bothers him.

On the game, the 4th down spot was a good one. Why the :censored: was Tressel blitzing LBs on that play? We didn't get humiliated. And The Big XII is really, really overrated.

You think the bowl season has been boring up to this point? Just wait until Thursday night.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm going to be so salty if Ohio State somehow wins this game.

I'd hate to ruin your night Flame but I really hope your night is ruined. Nothing personal. :D

Damn. Is Texas way overrated or what? Win or lose, I think the Big XII is being exposed for what they are in this game; a more exciting version of The Big Ten.

So what was the SEC exposed as being when Utah destroyed their second best team?

IUe6Hvh.png

The game between the Buckeyes and the Longhorns tonight was great. Really. I thought the Buckeyes had a chance. Their two long range catches in the middle of the match gave them a necessary boost of momentum. It's too bad they couldn't hang on to their lead, they blew it in the final minute.

At least this game was not a 30 point blowout like every other bowl game I stumbled upon this year.

I'm going to be so salty if Ohio State somehow wins this game.

I'd hate to ruin your night Flame but I really hope your night is ruined. Nothing personal. :D

Damn. Is Texas way overrated or what? Win or lose, I think the Big XII is being exposed for what they are in this game; a more exciting version of The Big Ten.

So what was the SEC exposed as being when Utah destroyed their second best team?

Not an all powerful juggernaut.

Still for the Big XII...Missouri needed a comeback and O/T to beat Northwestern, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech lost, and Nebraska would have lost if Dabo Swinney had a fallback 4th Down plan besides "run around field like chicken with head cut off."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm trying to figure out what game Rod Gilmore was watching. He sits there and says Ohio State dominated? Really? What I saw were two ineffective offenses that shot themselves in the foot with bad mistakes in the first half, a 3rd quarter controlled by Texas and a 4th quarter controlled by Ohio State until the last two minutes. I'm trying to figure out who is paying Mr. Gilmore's contract, is it the Big 10? Is it Ohio State? Or is it the parents of the freshman quarterback of Ohio State? I understand #2 (because I forgot his name) made two big runs, but the two critical plays of the game for Ohio State weren't made by him but the 5th year Senior quarterback. I give credit to Ohio State for showing up, and proving that the Big 12 offenses are suspect because of their not so good defense. Take a look at what Mississippi did to the "great" Texas Tech team. I just wonder how long it is before the alumni at Ohio State start calling for Tressel's head. Sure you can beat Michigan all you want, but when you keep losing bowl game after bowl game, the alumni aren't going to like that too much.

I'm trying to figure out what game Rod Gilmore was watching. He sits there and says Ohio State dominated? Really? What I saw were two ineffective offenses that shot themselves in the foot with bad mistakes in the first half, a 3rd quarter controlled by Texas and a 4th quarter controlled by Ohio State until the last two minutes. I'm trying to figure out who is paying Mr. Gilmore's contract, is it the Big 10? Is it Ohio State? Or is it the parents of the freshman quarterback of Ohio State? I understand #2 (because I forgot his name) made two big runs, but the two critical plays of the game for Ohio State weren't made by him but the 5th year Senior quarterback. I give credit to Ohio State for showing up, and proving that the Big 12 offenses are suspect because of their not so good defense. Take a look at what Mississippi did to the "great" Texas Tech team. I just wonder how long it is before the alumni at Ohio State start calling for Tressel's head. Sure you can beat Michigan all you want, but when you keep losing bowl game after bowl game, the alumni aren't going to like that too much.

Holy :censored:. I actually agree with you on all counts.

As for how long it will be until OSU alums start calling for Tressel's head? I started about three pages ago. Tressel's big claim to fame, the 2002 Championship, was won with a team that was filled with John Cooper's players. Since then? A Fiesta Bowl win against Kansas State (with a lot of holdovers from the Cooper era), a Fiesta Bowl win over a really overrated Notre Dame team, an Alamo Bowl win and a whole bunch of losses in really big games. Illinois last season, Penn State this season both at home, the USC debacle, and we already know about the last to NC games. The guy knows how to beat Michigan but that's about it.

I'm glad they didn't get blown out in this game but I'm also pretty upset that they couldn't get their :censored: together most of the time. After the first half, this game was Ohio State's to lose. And they lost it in the third quarter when Tressel couldn't find any imagination on offense and had to send his D right back out on the field after an 18 play drive by The Longhorns. I don't give a :censored: if you're playing Temple. If your defense is on the field for 30 of 33 plays during a quarter they are going to wear out. I don't care how poorly Texas was playing. You give a team with that offense 30 of 33 plays and they're going to score on you. The Ohio State defense deserved better out of their head coach. His stupid idea of field position offense played as big a role in Ohio State losing this game as anything did. Just like he always does, once they were down Tressel finally tried to open up the offense a little bit. As just like always, it was too little, too late.

Texas played a lousy game. Any team with Ohio State's caliber of players should have been able to capitalize on Texas' poor play and win the game. I won't say Ohio State is better than Texas but if they had been coached better they would have won the game tonight. You come into this game off two humiliating defeats, you're playing for your school's reputation, the opposing team isn't on their "A" game, your defense is shutting down a prolific offense, and your team plays like the Buckeyes did? That's just bad coaching.

It's time for the vest to head back down to the FCS schools where he belongs. Thanks for the ring. Now get out. (Is that what you were looking for?) :D

BB52Big.jpg

Archived