2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Stephen Strasburg really worth 5 years/$50 million? I'd love a pitcher with his talent, but I'm not sure about the price tag.

5 years/$50M it doesn't seem all that bad if you compare it to the starting salaries of NFL and NBA rookies. Just sayin...

But the real question here is: Can the Nationals even afford a player like that to begin with, especially five years from now if he becomes the ace everyone expects him to eventually be?

6uXNWAo.png

P Kyle Gibson from Mizzou to the Twins. Nice job.

Yeah, the Cardinals pass on him for a HS pitcher. A quality pitcher from their own state, and they go for a guy who, A. May opt to go to College, and, B. Coming out of High School, may not make it to St. Louis for 5 or 6 years at the earliest. <_<

So much for all the articles I read today talking about needing to bring in the fences @ Citi Field...7 homers there tonight including a tied-career high 4 allowed by Santana, and that's before K-Rod (who is due to blow one...hopefully I'm not about to jinx him) comes in to try and close it in the 9th.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

It's only June, but tonight's Met-Philly game was by far the best game of the season the Mets were involved in tonight. It was one of those games that reminds you why baseball is the greatest game ever invented, and why nothing else matters for the 3 hours that you get caught up in a good one.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Is Stephen Strasburg really worth 5 years/$50 million? I'd love a pitcher with his talent, but I'm not sure about the price tag.

5 years/$50M it doesn't seem all that bad if you compare it to the starting salaries of NFL and NBA rookies. Just sayin...

But the real question here is: Can the Nationals even afford a player like that to begin with, especially five years from now if he becomes the ace everyone expects him to eventually be?

If the Nats do keep him for 5 years, he'll be groomed just in time for the Yankees or Red Sox, as long as he doesn't break down, among other things.

I don't see why they couldn't afford him. Washington's a bigger market than say, Pittsburgh or Kansas City. Also, it's not like the Nats have an amazingly bloated payroll now. The only real excuse is the owners.

And...they take him.

This is the same (lousy) Nats team that was in the mix for Mark Teixeira during the offseason.

Noone is worth 10 mil a year without throwing a major league pitch.

He will get say 4 years 20 mil seems more reasonable. Then get 20 mil a year from the Yanks . Works itself out.

The draft is flawed in many ways one being compensation picks. Talk to the Blue Jays on that one!

If the Nats do keep him for 5 years, he'll be groomed just in time for the Yankees or Red Sox, as long as he doesn't break down, among other things.

Or I can see Strasburg as just another "Nats/Expos franchise trade deadline salary saver" 4 1/2 years down the road when it's contract time and the Nationals 30 games back in the NL East.

6uXNWAo.png

So yeah, basically a 9 game road trip against the top 2 teams in the AL East

Multiply that by 3 and you got our schedule every year... good times! A real bitch when the Central sneaks in and takes the wild card

Sounds like the Cy Young too ^_^

1zqy8ok.gif

*sigh*

It's a new day, but I said that yesterday, and we lost.

Knowing the Yankees luck against the Red Sox this season, CC Sabathia either

1: Self destructs, and gives up 4+ runs in 3 innings pitched or less, and Yankees lose big like 10-4.

or

2: Pitches a gem, and the offense won't hit a lick, and the Sox win like 4-1.

That's my gut feeling. :(

NBA rookie salaries are slotted by draft position. Blake Griffin will receive around $5 million his rookie season, and his contract will basically be 4-years, $23.5 million when you factor in the team options.

Back to baseball, 2007 #1 pick David Price received a 6-year contract worth $11.25 million, $8.5 million guaranteed, including a $5.6 million signing bonus. Last year, top-pick Tim Beckham got a $6.15 million bonus.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Question for Washington residents: Does it rain all the freaking time there? I feel like the Reds are on the west coast this week because the first 2 games of the 3 game series have been delayed. Last year, the Reds had delayed games in Washington. What's the deal?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Question for Washington residents: Does it rain all the freaking time there? I feel like the Reds are on the west coast this week because the first 2 games of the 3 game series have been delayed. Last year, the Reds had delayed games in Washington. What's the deal?

No, it doesn't rain all the time. Last couple of years, we had or are still experiencing a drought, which doesn't mean the recent rainfall will makeup for the shortcomings for the rest of the year. Looks like it'll rain during the 4:30 game today.

Edit: NatCast.

Archived