2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

The New York Times is reporting that Sammy Sosa failed a roid test in 2003, confirming what we all knew about that charlatan.

Media: "What a sad case. We all knew that Sosa was playing dirty. Selig must take responsibility. Another black eye for baseball."

Fans: "Eh. Whatever."

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a lot of the same old, but this has the added dimension of Sosa perjuring himself. McGwire, who is otherwise the same unelectable fraud that Sosa is, didn't go that far.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The New York Times is reporting that Sammy Sosa failed a roid test in 2003, confirming what we all knew about that charlatan.

Eventhough I had the same doubts that everyone else did, the Cub fan in me was holding out hope that Slammin' Sammy played clean. :down:

6uXNWAo.png

It is a lot of the same old, but this has the added dimension of Sosa perjuring himself. McGwire, who is otherwise the same unelectable fraud that Sosa is, didn't go that far.

Is his...temporary loss of English as a second language gambit a legal out, though?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There was no way he was clean. The only hope that should've been held out was that he'd be sent out of town before the truth emerged. Another blemish on the Cubs, though. Couldn't even win with a cheater.

Is his...temporary loss of English as a second language gambit a legal out, though?

Good question. I was under the impression that it was still his testimony, albeit translated.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There was no way he was clean. The only hope that should've been held out was that he'd be sent out of town before the truth emerged. Another blemish on the Cubs, though. Couldn't even win with a cheater.

....Not that cheating always wins. (Barry Bonds. Alex Rodriguez.)

6uXNWAo.png

Wow. Nick Leyva just helped the Phillies more than he ever did when he was their manager. What a f-up. Rios should have scored easily

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wow. Nick Leyva just helped the Phillies more than he ever did when he was their manager. What a f-up. Rios should have scored easily

Now I'm glad I stopped watching the game

You might want to turn it back on...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, anyone other that purple and silver buzzsaw known as the Colorado Rockies is good for the M's right now.

Well the Rays just destroyed them. 12-4 Final. 5 home runs, 11 Extra Base hits, also Kapler and Zobrist both finished a double away from the cycle.

Also Jason Bartlett came off IR, and played.

6 strait wins for the Rays, watch out AL East.

Well, anyone other that purple and silver buzzsaw known as the Colorado Rockies is good for the M's right now.

Well the Rays just destroyed them. 12-4 Final. 5 home runs, 11 Extra Base hits, also Kapler and Zobrist both finished a double away from the cycle.

The humidor must have been broken :P but yeah here come the Rays!

6fQjS3M.png

The Yankees and Red Sox's schedules are only getting easier with the Nationals coming up though...

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

The Yankees and Red Sox's schedules are only getting easier with the Nationals coming up though...

But they have a good hitting team. If they can keep the game close in New York with the long ball, then they could take a game. Also they have the Boston series at home, so they know the park better.

They just lack in pitching. Do they have enough money to possibly sign Ben Sheets or Pedro Martinez? They need a solid starter, not just a bnch of young players. I can only name one starter, and that's just because the Nats have 2 Zimmermans.

But they have a good hitting team. If they can keep the game close in New York with the long ball, then they could take a game. Also they have the Boston series at home, so they know the park better.

They just lack in pitching. Do they have enough money to possibly sign Ben Sheets or Pedro Martinez? They need a solid starter, not just a bnch of young players. I can only name one starter, and that's just because the Nats have 2 Zimmermans.

Sure, they can hit the ball, but is it timely hitting with RISP? Also, if they show up to bat, would the defense and pitching (starting or relief - doesn't matter as it is a merry-go-round when it comes to someone blowing the game) show up too? Finally, the Nats are 10-22 at home and 6-24 on the road going into their second game against the Yanks.

The Nats got swept by Tampa Bay, play 3 in NY, play 3 at home against the Jays and Red Sox, then head up the Beltway to face Baltimore for 3, so they could finish the AL East swing by going 3-12 (optimism).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4267760

Pedro Martinez thinking of coming back with the Cubs or Rays

The right-hander said on Wednesday that he has had talks with the Chicago Cubs and Tampa Bay Rays and hopes to sign a contract in the near future.

"There's a good chance I'll be signing soon, but there still isn't anything firm," Martinez told The Associated Press.

"Chicago and Tampa Bay are the two teams that have shown the most interest and we are negotiating with them, although I've told my agent not to call me until it's a done deal," he said.

Maybe this will be the kick in the pants the Cubs need. Or maybe they should hold off and save this money for getting Mark DeRosa back.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Wang is on the next train to Scranton.

Errr....no he isn't. Yet. For some unfathomable reason. Giving up 3 to Washington is like giving up 9 to most teams, right?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived