Lions uniform changes

Proc

I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I don't think he would mind a gray facemask on the Lions. After all, silver (shiny gray) is an official color of theirs.

Yes. Yes I would.

And the fact that I am happy with the Lions' look should tell you something.

^_^

I guess it's going to be blue.

Or remain black.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm assuming the striping on the arms will be just like their previous set of jerseys. What remains to be seen is whether it will be trimmed with black. I'm really curious about the amount of black the team will use in their new look. For one, the jersey seems better off with just silver and blue but at the same time, it may look unbalanced if black was featured only on the logo. But I guess like everyone else here (excluding Colorwerx and ASM), we will have to patiently wait.

Colorwerx implied complete stripe consistancy... so I'm assuming that nasty sleeve stripe is being totally overhauled.

I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I don't think he would mind a gray facemask on the Lions. After all, silver (shiny gray) is an official color of theirs.

Yes. Yes I would.

And the fact that I am happy with the Lions' look should tell you something.

^_^

I stand corrected. Might I ask why? I thought the main reason for those that didn't like gray facemasks in general was because it didn't go with the rest of the team's colors in their uniform, i.e. Cleveland and Arizona. But if the Lions' facemasks were gray/silver, that wouldn't be the case.

I would really dig it if the numbers were silver as well. There's enough contrast between the blue and silver where you could still read them on TV.

There would be enough contrast if they played outdoors under actual sun. That dome is so dull and drab, that I don't think silver numbers would come across well on TV. Could be wrong though.

I remember seeing pics of the Lions playing in that dungeon known as Tiger Stadium (or Briggs Stadium)...even on sunny days the place looked dismal and dark, and the silver numbers didn't show up well even then. It got worse when they moved indoors, and I'm pretty sure that's why they changed the numbers around 1984 or so.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I would really dig it if the numbers were silver as well. There's enough contrast between the blue and silver where you could still read them on TV.

There would be enough contrast if they played outdoors under actual sun. That dome is so dull and drab, that I don't think silver numbers would come across well on TV. Could be wrong though.

I remember seeing pics of the Lions playing in that dungeon known as Tiger Stadium (or Briggs Stadium)...even on sunny days the place looked dismal and dark, and the silver numbers didn't show up well even then. It got worse when they moved indoors, and I'm pretty sure that's why they changed the numbers around 1984 or so.

I looked it up, and they changed in 1982 from silver numbers with white trim to white numbers with silver trim. They haven't had silver-only numbers since 1971, throwbacks notwithstanding. I think the white trim around the silver numbers actually makes it harder to read because it blurs the edges from far away. Silver on honolulu blue should be enough contrast. I can't say I've seen them in person but they always seemed sharp on TV.

I looked it up, and they changed in 1982 from silver numbers with white trim to white numbers with silver trim. They haven't had silver-only numbers since 1971, throwbacks notwithstanding. I think the white trim around the silver numbers actually makes it harder to read because it blurs the edges from far away. Silver on honolulu blue should be enough contrast. I can't say I've seen them in person but they always seemed sharp on TV.

I'm gonna call BS on that one... If anything, the white/silver outlines would blur more because it would follow this greyscale pattern -> DARK/MEDIUM/LIGHT. But if you had silver/white outlines, it would follow -> DARK/LIGHT/MEDIUM.

Now if you're arguing contrast or insufficient light, then you may have case...

I'm gonna call BS on that one... If anything, the white/silver outlines would blur more because it would follow this greyscale pattern -> DARK/MEDIUM/LIGHT. But if you had silver/white outlines, it would follow -> DARK/LIGHT/MEDIUM.

Which numbers are easier to read?

lions_uni_comparison-1.jpg

My appointment with the eye doctor was last week. Do I have to relive it now?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Go back and read my post. That wasn't the question I was answering... I was refering to the white numbers with silver outlines vs. silver numbers with white outlines. Of course single color numbers would be easier to read 95% of the time.

Go back and read my post. That wasn't the question I was answering... I was refering to the white numbers with silver outlines vs. silver numbers with white outlines. Of course single color numbers would be easier to read 95% of the time.

Sorry, I misunderstood then. My post (which wasn't extremely clear) meant to say that I thought silver on blue was better visually than adding white trim on silver numbers. I thought you were disagreeing with that.

It's very hard to believe that they would screw that up. But they are the Lions.

I could see someone finding a file deep within a site, but just happening upon a picture from a photoshoot like that on a visible section of a team's site seems a little farfetched. It's not like the Lions' web people are unaware that there is a new uniform unveiling coming soon. They would know not to post those pictures.

I remember when Joe Dumars took over the Pistons he went back to the red,white, and blue but just an modernized logo and fonts on the uniforms, I think the lions are going to that direction, a darker shade of honolulu blue like in the early days, an older uniform style fron the early 60's with modern updated modifications, the colors will remain the same but the logo will get a slight upgrade but nothing revolutionary, the black accents from the millen era is gone the only thing black will be the shoes.

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

I remember when Joe Dumars took over the Pistons he went back to the red,white, and blue but just an modernized logo and fonts on the uniforms, I think the lions are going to that direction, a darker shade of honolulu blue like in the early days, an older uniform style fron the early 60's with modern updated modifications, the colors will remain the same but the logo will get a slight upgrade but nothing revolutionary, the black accents from the millen era is gone the only thing black will be the shoes.

Colorwerx has already mentioned a few times the colors (including black) are not changing.

I have a Lions hat that has the rumored lines in the mane (more because of the style of embroidery than design I believe), but everything else is the same. The cool thing about the hat is that it has a lot of charcoal gray along with the silver. It looks way better than black. It is sweet. I would love if their colors were honalulu blue and charcoal with silver as the third color for accent. That would be a nod to tradition along with a major change. I know everyone laughs at the Lions tradition, but the Lions won some NFL championships before the merger in the 50's at Briggs Stadium (later renamed Tiger Stadium). Also, I am aware of Colorwerx's previous postings that the colors aren't changing. I am just dreaming here.

On a related note, I do hate the fact that the Cowboys can't put the same color blue on everything, but they have one for their helmet and logos and another for their jerseys and the Lions are starting to feel this way. All the stuff at the stadium including Bubbles on the 50 yard line is a deep blue. They either need to change the jerseys to match or change the field to match the jerseys. Inconsistency in branding by a multimillion dollar company is pathetic and just plain sucks.

I wish Dallas returned to their old away jerseys... the ones that were actually a reflection of the home jerseys. To be honest, I've never minded the different shades Dallas uses. It's kind of unique to me. :)

I'm just wondering... if the Lions have just a tiny bit of black striping on the uniform, would it still count as an "official" color? Kind of like the Dallas Cowboy's sleeve striping. 4 lines of black, but Dallas doesn't consider that an official color.

Archived