NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

The NHL discipline department is an absolute mess. Im talking about all series here. I have watched just about every playoff game so far, and I have seen plenty of the same things happen in every game. Some guys got penalties, others didnt. Some guys got suspended, others didnt. The inconsistency across the board is a disgrace, and its sad that the greatest game in the world is being taken away from the players and reduced to a soccer/basketball hybrid.

Suspensions being an inconsistent mess isn't anything new though, its always been an embarrassment to the league.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Woohoo! What a great game by the Capitals! Kudos Varlamov for his SO.

Varlamov is the Iron Curtain. they played great tonight. hopefully this will turn the tide in the series.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Bruins, sans Chara, lead series 3-0.

Wow, they are absolutely dominating.

-----------------------------------------------------

Maybe I am clueless and have never noticed it, but I am watching the Capitals/Rangers game on MSG and there are ads added by the magic of TV on the glass directly behind the net. It is advertising "Free HD Ion TV". Is this new, or am I out of the loop?

Well, I've sure as hell never seen anything like that.

Safe to say 4 teams are in the next round: Wings, Ducks, Canucks, and Bruins. Flames/Hawks could go 7, Caps/Rangers is now up for grabs, Devils/Canes too, and Penguins/Flyers could go the distance as well.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Safe to say 4 teams are in the next round: Wings, Ducks, Canucks, and Bruins. Flames/Hawks could go 7, Caps/Rangers is now up for grabs, Devils/Canes too, and Penguins/Flyers could go the distance as well.

No one has won 4 games yet. They're all up for grabs.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Maybe I am clueless and have never noticed it, but I am watching the Capitals/Rangers game on MSG and there are ads added by the magic of TV on the glass directly behind the net. It is advertising "Free HD Ion TV". Is this new, or am I out of the loop?

Yea, I believe you watched the game. <_< May wanna check what you said.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Fun fact:

The 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs were the first team to overcome an 0-3 deficit in the NHL Playoffs.

Thirty-three seasons later, the 1975 New York Islanders accomplished the same feat.

The 2009 season is 33rd season since an 0-3 deficit has been overcome.

I guess someone will come back from 3-0 in the later rounds then eh? ;)

8prlQWA.png

Fun fact:

The 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs were the first team to overcome an 0-3 deficit in the NHL Playoffs.

Thirty-three seasons later, the 1975 New York Islanders accomplished the same feat.

The 2009 season is 33rd season since an 0-3 deficit has been overcome.

Important to note, the Leafs came back in the FINALS to win the Stanley Cup. The Blues aren't quite in that position yet. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Yea, I believe you watched the game. <_< May wanna check what you said.

Sorry.

I was mostly watching the Celtics, who were on at the same time.

That's actually Free HD IO TV, its the brand name used by Cablevision a cable company in Greater NYC and they also own MSG and the Rangers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Here's the deal if they suspended Lucic.

Having only heard that hit described and not seen it... David Backes of the Blues did roughly the same thing to one of the Sedin's at the end of the game last night.

Stupid as hell as it could net him a suspension and killed the final six seconds of that game off when the Blues were making one last push at the net.

Anyways, to me it's a questionable hit that could go either way on a suspension. But if they already suspended Lucic for it, they have to suspend Backes. But will they?

It's the NHL, so who knows.

Technically, the NHL could go after Backes for a harder suspension if they wanted to- Lucic hit whatshisnuts after seeing come at him from the corner of his eye, and overreacted to the potential situation. Backes already had the penalty coming to him, and knowing he was going to the box anyway, decided to attack Sedin for the hell of it.

In my mind, there's difference between overreaction and premeditiation, but the NHL has shown that it has no such mechanism in place to make a differentiation. Either way, both were boneheaded moves.

Agreed, that's largely the point I was trying to make when I was talking about Game 1. Montreal gets away with their :censored: and Lucic got suspended, and here Backes does the same thing and may not even face repercussions. It's wildly and frustratingly inconsistent, and that is what makes me angry. But you're correct Icecap, I am ecstatic about the outcome of the series so far, and the suspension does nothing to change that. Plus, today's game went much better than I had expected, the suspension's over, I'm pumped, I'm excited, let's finish this once and for all!

That's actually Free HD IO TV, its the brand name used by Cablevision a cable company in Greater NYC and they also own MSG and the Rangers.

That was only for the first period, they had another for the second and Subway for the 3rd. It was very odd seeing it, but they have to get their money somehow, I wish I could get a screen shot.

saBS.png

That was only for the first period, they had another for the second and Subway for the 3rd. It was very odd seeing it, but they have to get their money somehow, I wish I could get a screen shot.

IIRC, they have been adding ads on racing tracks this way already. It's basically the same thing as adding the first down line on a football field during a televised game.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Usually I don't like to loop an entire fan base in here, but since it happens every time the Bruins are in Montreal, I will. What a classless bunch of douche's you Canadiens fans are, constantly booing the American National Anthem. I mean, really? We get you're in Quebec and you don't even like Canada, but come on. Grow up, show at least a little class. It feels so good to be utterly dominating you right now.

/rant

Usually I don't like to loop an entire fan base in here, but since it happens every time the Bruins are in Montreal, I will. What a classless bunch of douche's you Canadiens fans are, constantly booing the American National Anthem. I mean, really? We get you're in Quebec and you don't even like Canada, but come on. Grow up, show at least a little class. It feels so good to be utterly dominating you right now.

/rant

It's Montreal. I expect nothing less.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

/rant

Well said.

I can't wait to sweep their dirty asses and hear Centre Bell go completely quiet.

Archived