NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

I'm going on record and guaranteeing the Blues pull-off the four game comeback over Vancouver.

We already know you're a homer, so you don't need to keep making these statements.

Is there really a problem with me saying something as simple as that? Give me a break. There's times to call out homerism, and there's times to let it slide.

I wanted to make the statement and I did.

IIRC, there has never been a four game comeback in an NHL playoff series. And looking at the Blues, they aren't going to to break the trend. So I think this was a good time to call out your homerism.

Is it possible for a team to win four games in a row?

Yep.

So I'm gonna stand by the statement. I'll make it again if you want.

Jeeze, man. I'm sitting here on the brink, but not willing to give up. As a sports fan, you should have learned the lesson by now that you should never give up because anything can happen.

I've been called out legitimately so for things in the past, but I shouldn't have to defend myself for making an non-offensive declaration of confidence in my team. That's what it's all about buddy.

I'm no lawyer, but...

Standing by a guarantee usually involves the guarantor making some kind of retribution to the guaranteed if the good or service that carries the guarantee happens to fail.

What does it cost you to make (and "stand by") guarantees? Will we see the "St. Louis Sucks" sig? Will we see the self-imposed two-week suspension?

I'm seriously up for suggestions.

I'm not gonna leave the board. And I won't put St. Louis sucks, persay, but I'd be willing to put my signature space into it. Or something else. I dunno. It's a statement on a message board by someone that's not a player... but I don't intend for it to be hollow.

Tell you what.

Vancouver wins the series, you put a sig image, designed by me, in your sig space until the Canucks are out of the playoffs. St Louis comes back, I do the same with a sig you've designed.

It will be moderately tasteful.

I'll agree to that.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When'd you jump on the Canuck bandwagon, Leezy? :P

Sadly, I don't share my compadre's bravado. I would like to see a Blues win in this series, though.

I'm just hoping that making it this far is a sign of better things to come in the future. These have been tough years.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

When'd you jump on the Canuck bandwagon, Leezy? :P

This town has a way of brainwashing you. After years of being without the NHL in Winnipeg, and then moving to a town with a decent team, it just sorta happened.

But I still hate the Lions.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

And the Sharks are well, the Sharks. It looks like another complete playoff collapse by this team? Really? The team that was so dominant at home, losses BOTH games to the 8th seed? Really? Again San Jose? When it comes to the playoffs, they play like the Detroit Lions, no pride or heart. I realize that Anaheim is healthy, but seriously, a #1 seed should NOT loose the first two games of a first round series at HOME!!! I guess the reality has finally set in. Those over-the-hill players you are depending on in Rob Blake, Claude Lemieux, Jeremy Roenick are just clogging up the ice. Oh, and those two players you acquired from Anaheim, Moen and Huskins, are just expendable parts that Anaheim didn't need. So now the question is, do the Sharks bow out in four or five games? And this coming from a Ducks hater. I give credit to the Ducks for realizing it's the Playoffs. I was going to ask someone to wake up the Sharks, and tell them it's the playoffs, but it's not going matter they're on life support, the Ducks have outplayed them in both games.

Typical :censored: ing sharks.

Just when you think the Sharks have a clear path to the Stanley Cup Final, they fold like a cheap tent. This year, it's Anaheim's turn to make San Jose their b*tch.

6uXNWAo.png

Typical :censored: ing sharks.

Just when you think the Sharks have a clear path to the Stanley Cup Final, they fold like a cheap tent. This year, it's Anaheim's turn to make San Jose their b*tch.

The Sharks are strugg-a-ling

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Wait, so Looch got suspended? Bull :censored:.

:censored: you, Montreal.

He cross-checked the guy in the head...

How is that bull :censored:? If anything he should have gotten more.

First of all, because it was a defensive move toward a guy trying to blindside him. Second, it was actually his glove that him him in the face, and thirdly, because apparently the Canadiens can get away with bull :censored: for two games like trying to gouge people's eyes out and pulling crap like they did after Kessel's EN goal, and this, THIS is the thing that the NHL chooses to take farther than a penalty. It's just ludicrous. Wouldn't this be subject to further review if this were the regular season? He was only going after Schneider in the first place because Schneider put a cheap shot on him before. And Komisarek doesn't get any repercussions of his insane Game 1 antics, nor a penalty for what he was doing to Lucic in the remarkably violent and one-sided brawl that ensued. And the same kind of stuff was happening in other games, yet they don't get the same treatment... It was a stupid play by Looch, they were restraining themselves well from the lame Hab antics the whole game, but it's just stupid and inconsistent that this is what the NHL felt the need to punish further.

Has a President's Trophy-winning team (or the team entering with the best record overall) ever been swept in the first round?

Presidents' Trophy

three times.

1990-91 Blackhawks lost to Minnesota

1999-2000 Blues lost to San Jose

2005-2006 Red Wings lost to Edmonton

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I stand corrected. I was thinking of a Presidents' Trophy winner being ousted in the first round.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Wait, so Looch got suspended? Bull :censored:.

:censored: you, Montreal.

He cross-checked the guy in the head...

How is that bull :censored:? If anything he should have gotten more.

First of all, because it was a defensive move toward a guy trying to blindside him. Second, it was actually his glove that him him in the face, and thirdly, because apparently the Canadiens can get away with bull :censored: for two games like trying to gouge people's eyes out and pulling crap like they did after Kessel's EN goal, and this, THIS is the thing that the NHL chooses to take farther than a penalty. It's just ludicrous. Wouldn't this be subject to further review if this were the regular season? He was only going after Schneider in the first place because Schneider put a cheap shot on him before. And Komisarek doesn't get any repercussions of his insane Game 1 antics, nor a penalty for what he was doing to Lucic in the remarkably violent and one-sided brawl that ensued. And the same kind of stuff was happening in other games, yet they don't get the same treatment... It was a stupid play by Looch, they were restraining themselves well from the lame Hab antics the whole game, but it's just stupid and inconsistent that this is what the NHL felt the need to punish further.

Either way it was a shot to the head, and Lapierre wasn't trying to go in for a hit, he was skating in rather slowly. His stick definitely made contact with Lapierre's face.

Lucic Cross-Check (2nd Half of the video)

Lucic earned the suspension and he should have gotten more.

Hi, how are you?

In this humble hocky fan's opinion, Lucic should not have been suspended, considering all the other "action" that has taken place in that series so far.

The NHL made a big deal about eliminating "message sending" at the end of decided games, and yet when Montreal sent a message at the end of game one, no one was suspended. Now they decided suspend Lucic for this? Bad call, in my opinion.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Given Boston's horrible overall record against Montréal in playoff/Finals competition, I would think Bruins fans would just be ecstatic that this series is in the bag.

That would be my state-of-mind if I was a Bruins fan anyway.

Anyhow, as much as I would like to root for Vancouver (being the Canadian team with the best prospects of winning it all at this point) I'm afraid I can't (and no, it has nothing to do with Mats Sundin :D, I wish him the best of luck).

No, for a few reasons I'm pulling for New Jersey to take it all this year.

Given Boston's horrible overall record against Montréal in playoff/Finals competition, I would think Bruins fans would just be ecstatic that this series is in the bag.

That would be my state-of-mind if I was a Bruins fan anyway.

Anyhow, as much as I would like to root for Vancouver (being the Canadian team with the best prospects of winning it all at this point) I'm afraid I can't (and no, it has nothing to do with Mats Sundin :D, I wish him the best of luck).

No, for a few reasons I'm pulling for New Jersey to take it all this year.

I'm pumped, but please, we were this close to coming back from 2-0 last year when the roles were exactly reversed. This is awesome, but, good sir, this series is far from "in the bag." Now maybe if they win tonight, that's another thing. :D

It will be moderately tasteful.

When have you ever been in the realm of moderately tasteful?

Good Lord, this is without question the most "homer-erotic" thread in recent memory. There is probably going to be spontaneous ejaculations all over North America when [insert your team here] wins their 1st round series. Jeez.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived