NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

I haven't watched much of that particular series, but the NHL definitely had to suspend Lucic for that cross-check to the head. Doesn't matter what happened previously in the series/game, you cannot do that. Maybe other suspensions should be handed out as well (haven't been watching), but you can't look at that replay and say he doesn't deserve to sit.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given Boston's horrible overall record against Montréal in playoff/Finals competition, I would think Bruins fans would just be ecstatic that this series is in the bag.

That would be my state-of-mind if I was a Bruins fan anyway.

Yeah. I can't blame them. A competitive series would have been more fun, but it's been all Bruins so far. The series has been really boring and the atmosphere down here is nothing compared to last year. I've already took out my white flag. surrender.gif Once again, congrats Boston.

It will be moderately tasteful.

When have you ever been in the realm of moderately tasteful?

Good Lord, this is without question the most "homer-erotic" thread in recent memory. There is probably going to be spontaneous ejaculations all over North America when [insert your team here] wins their 1st round series. Jeez.

I shall direct mine eastward, and think of you fondly while doing so.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In this humble hocky fan's opinion, Lucic should not have been suspended, considering all the other "action" that has taken place in that series so far.

The NHL made a big deal about eliminating "message sending" at the end of decided games, and yet when Montreal sent a message at the end of game one, no one was suspended. Now they decided suspend Lucic for this? Bad call, in my opinion.

I agree with you on the game one shenanigans, but the Lucic cross-check was cheap.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It will be moderately tasteful.

When have you ever been in the realm of moderately tasteful?

Good Lord, this is without question the most "homer-erotic" thread in recent memory. There is probably going to be spontaneous ejaculations all over North America when [insert your team here] wins their 1st round series. Jeez.

Don't you mean jizz? (expect this to be censored)

I saw, I came, I left.

Given Boston's horrible overall record against Montréal in playoff/Finals competition, I would think Bruins fans would just be ecstatic that this series is in the bag.

Yeah. I can't blame them. A competitive series would have been more fun, but it's been all Bruins so far. The series has been really boring and the atmosphere down here is nothing compared to last year. I've already took out my white flag. surrender.gif Once again, congrats Boston.

Really, my point is that with 1) how dominant Boston's been and 2) how terrible the Montréal's been, I don't see the need for Bruins fans to be upset about anything in this series (so far). The Habs have gotten away with some stuff, sure. Is it worth getting upset about given the (likely) outcome of this thing?

Anyhow, as much as I would like to root for Vancouver (being the Canadian team with the best prospects of winning it all at this point) I'm afraid I can't (and no, it has nothing to do with Mats Sundin :D, I wish him the best of luck).

No, for a few reasons I'm pulling for New Jersey to take it all this year.

I'm pumped, but please, we were this close to coming back from 2-0 last year when the roles were exactly reversed. This is awesome, but, good sir, this series is far from "in the bag." Now maybe if they win tonight, that's another thing. :D

I donno. The Habs have been downright awful these playoffs. I don't see them turning it around. At most I see them extending this thing to five games.

Here's the deal if they suspended Lucic.

Having only heard that hit described and not seen it... David Backes of the Blues did roughly the same thing to one of the Sedin's at the end of the game last night.

Stupid as hell as it could net him a suspension and killed the final six seconds of that game off when the Blues were making one last push at the net.

Anyways, to me it's a questionable hit that could go either way on a suspension. But if they already suspended Lucic for it, they have to suspend Backes. But will they?

It's the NHL, so who knows.

The difference is that the Blues player (with a halo over his head) was clearly on his way to deliver food and clothing to a local orphanage (and then stop by church to pray for the sick kids), when one of those evil Canucks, who doesn't care about kids or society in general, tried to trip him up. The Blue probably tried to do everything he could to avoid contact, because he loves every man, woman, and child, but the Canuck was relentless and threw himself right in front of the Blues player. No word yet as to whether Backes was able to perform all of the charity work he was wanted to do, but no doubt his teammates picked up for him.

j/k

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's the deal if they suspended Lucic.

Having only heard that hit described and not seen it... David Backes of the Blues did roughly the same thing to one of the Sedin's at the end of the game last night.

Stupid as hell as it could net him a suspension and killed the final six seconds of that game off when the Blues were making one last push at the net.

Anyways, to me it's a questionable hit that could go either way on a suspension. But if they already suspended Lucic for it, they have to suspend Backes. But will they?

It's the NHL, so who knows.

Technically, the NHL could go after Backes for a harder suspension if they wanted to- Lucic hit whatshisnuts after seeing come at him from the corner of his eye, and overreacted to the potential situation. Backes already had the penalty coming to him, and knowing he was going to the box anyway, decided to attack Sedin for the hell of it.

In my mind, there's difference between overreaction and premeditiation, but the NHL has shown that it has no such mechanism in place to make a differentiation. Either way, both were boneheaded moves.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The difference is that the Blues player (with a halo over his head) was clearly on his way to deliver food and clothing to a local orphanage (and then stop by church to pray for the sick kids), when one of those evil Canucks, who doesn't care about kids or society in general, tried to trip him up. The Blue probably tried to do everything he could to avoid contact, because he loves every man, woman, and child, but the Canuck was relentless and threw himself right in front of the Blues player. No word yet as to whether Backes was able to perform all of the charity work he was wanted to do, but no doubt his teammates picked up for him.

j/k

STFU. Thanks.

Anyway, having seen both... yeah, Backes should probably be suspended. That was really dumb.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Ovie watched a portion of the Rangers practice today.

NEW YORK -- The New York Rangers had an interested observer sitting on the visitor's bench as they took the ice for their pregame skate Monday morning. Washington Capitals winger Alex Ovechkin was watching the Rangers practice when he was asked to leave by one of the home team's trainers.

When asked why the Rangers wanted him to leave, Ovechkin joked: "Because they're afraid of me."

Actually, it is against NHL rules for a player to sit on the bench during the opposing team's practice.

When asked why he did it, Ovechkin joked that he sat there to "tick off" Rangers coach John Tortorella. His answer drew many laughs from reporters.

Tortorella insisted after the skate he had no idea Ovechkin was there.

"Who? Oh, god, this is the first I've heard of it," said Tortorella. "Ask me a question about the game, not that [expletive]."

"I don't think he had a pen and paper and was writing down line combinations," joked Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau. "I can understand [the Rangers asking him to leave]. I've gotten into the same arguments with people when I've wanted privacy in my practice, so I can understand what John was going through."

j/k

I know you put JK, but this is a prime example of people not knowing when to stop the calls of homerism. I pretty clearly went out of my way to point out that a Blues player should probably be suspended.

If what Lee said is right, then yeah, perhaps Backes deserves it moreso. I have not seen Lucic's hit. Also haven't come across a real long replay of the Backes incident, so I'm going off memory, a 2-second clip, and a couple of screen grabs.

j/k

I know you put JK, but this is a prime example of people not knowing when to stop the calls of homerism. I pretty clearly went out of my way to point out that a Blues player should probably be suspended.

If what Lee said is right, then yeah, perhaps Backes deserves it moreso. I have not seen Lucic's hit. Also haven't come across a real long replay of the Backes incident, so I'm going off memory, a 2-second clip, and a couple of screen grabs.

I didn't even see any of the plays you're discussing, I was just having some fun. A similar joke could be made at the expense of many of the Flyers fans I know.

Carry on.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

j/k

I didn't even see any of the plays you're discussing, I was just having some fun. A similar joke could be made at the expense of many of the Flyers fans I know.

Carry on.

No one takes their homerism more seriously, BBtV, you should know that by now. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

j/k

Carry on.

I know, I know. It's just a peeve of mine I guess. I get called on the homer stuff all the time, and that's fine, because I am. But most of the time when I jump into serious discussion about what has actually happened (and this wasn't always true but has been for a while now) as opposed to predictions and such, I'm pretty level headed and fair about it. And it seems like people still can't get off the "make fun of Justin for being a homer" kick.

Actually, it's not the making fun of I mind. It's dismissing what I say. And really, I guess all you really did was the former as opposed to the latter, so my apologies for the reaction.

The NHL discipline department is an absolute mess. Im talking about all series here. I have watched just about every playoff game so far, and I have seen plenty of the same things happen in every game. Some guys got penalties, others didnt. Some guys got suspended, others didnt. The inconsistency across the board is a disgrace, and its sad that the greatest game in the world is being taken away from the players and reduced to a soccer/basketball hybrid.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Please tell me you all saw Bobby Ryan's goal against the Sharks yesterday? The Ducks first goal?

VIDEO

He shoots five-hole on Nabakov, goes through, hits the post, hits off of Nabokov, puck sits behind the fallen Nabakov, Ryan jumps over the felled Nabakov, whilst in mid-air spawled out like Superman, slams the puck into the net, goal.

86039416.jpg

Pure mastery.

Bobby Ryan is a sick fiend.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Maybe I am clueless and have never noticed it, but I am watching the Capitals/Rangers game on MSG and there are ads added by the magic of TV on the glass directly behind the net. It is advertising "Free HD Ion TV". Is this new, or am I out of the loop?

saBS.png

Archived