Atlanta Falcons to wear throwbacks in 2009

TFoA

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Revived because the Falcons equipment manager is leaking pics of different parts of the uniform as of late.

5bbc6f.jpg

3007lee.jpg

Looks to be pretty accurate so far (assuming that the gold stripe is on the helmet. Can't see from the angle he took the pic in.)

Why in the world they abandoned what was one of the sharpest logos in the entire league in favor of the 'nosedive' Falcon I'll never know.

Because they wanted their look to be "sleeker, leaner, fiercer, and meaner".

Pretty much like every rebrand that's taken place since about 1996 or so.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Revived because the Falcons equipment manager is leaking pics of different parts of the uniform as of late.

5bbc6f.jpg

3007lee.jpg

Looks to be pretty accurate so far (assuming that the gold stripe is on the helmet. Can't see from the angle he took the pic in.)

Why in the world they abandoned what was one of the sharpest logos in the entire league in favor of the 'nosedive' Falcon I'll never know.

Woa?! the old Falcons logo was terrible! too bland, and wimply looking. The upgrade is a huge hit. Some people's taste just bothers me, but again I have only been around for 19 years so im going to always lean forward in arguments

5bbc6f.jpg

3007lee.jpg

Woa?! the old Falcons logo was terrible! too bland, and wimply looking. The upgrade is a huge hit. Some people's taste just bothers me, but again I have only been around for 19 years so im going to always lean forward in arguments

Same here. This board is pretty conservative; so much so that some users just have a simple formula for design. Modern=bad

I like the new logo because it's a real update but it doesn't go over board. the uni's.... They got 2/5's right in my mind. (I like the piping, but not the sleeve design)

To the topic at hand, I do love to see throwbacks used once and awhile and this is no exception. I think going with the 60's pattern is going to jive better with the lack of sleeves the linemen use now.

To clarify my point, I was neither here nor there with the old falcon logo, and I certainly don't have an issue with the current one, either (with the possible exception of that extra supposed-to-be-silver outline, which could have been left out altogether). Just pointing out a noticeable trend in sports identities over the past decade or so is all.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

To clarify my point, I was neither here nor there with the old falcon logo, and I certainly don't have an issue with the current one, either (with the possible exception of that extra supposed-to-be-silver outline, which could have been left out altogether). Just pointing out a noticeable trend in sports identities over the past decade or so is all.

well I was talking to the person before you, not you. I agreed with your point.

well I was talking to the person before you, not you. I agreed with your point.

I was just too lazy to edit your quote out...

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a nice shot of the original road set:

1966_Falcons_BillyLothridge.jpg

That is NICE. Clean, simple, not overstated. A classic look.

That IS nice... but I thought there was always sleeve stripes that matched the socks.

Yeah, their first two years they just had the logo -- which made the design way ahead of its time... And I believe the Redskins had logos on their sleeves way back in the 30s or 40s, so I guess they were incredibly ahead of their time!

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

http://projects.ajc.com/gallery/view/sport...ntage-uniforms/

Falcons wearing them in Week 2, and I assume at least once more

Wow! As I suspected, this design works extremely well even with today's truncated sleeves. One small nitpick ('cause that's what geeks are all about): The complete striping pattern on the original socks was actually white-black-thick red-black-white. Back in those days, players wore baseball-type stirrups with white socks over them, and the striping pattern that would appear was dependent on how high they pulled up their white socks. Most likely the designer of the throwbacks just saw a pic like the one shown above of the road set and concluded that the pattern was just white-black-thick red. With many if not most of today's players wearing the white part of their now one=pierce socks quite low, there is certainly plenty of room to have the complete and correct pattern. All in all, these throwbacks look fantastic, though...

While I'm pontificating on socks... I've always found the evolution of NFL sock design kind of interesting. As I said above, back in the day the striping pattern on any player depended on how high he pulled up his whites. Sometime around the late 60s or 70s, the trend was for players to pull the whites up so high they obscured almost all of the colored sock underneath. This fad continued for quite awhile and led, I believe, to many frustrated designers simply giving up using stripes and just going with solid color socks. Of course, it seems that today's players don't like the stripes anyway and would prefer to have just one solid color -- a look which i find quite hideous. Probably because I'm old and living in the past...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Archived