NBA Logo/Uniform Changes for 2009-10...

DustDevil61

I wonder why the Bulls opted out. Is it because if they remind people that they won six championships, they might be held accountable for their inability to win a seventh?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of a classic franchise changing their uniforms up a bit?..I?d like to see New York switch it up, head in a new different direction but keep the same colors.

As a Knicks fan, i agree, Knicks need a look. new jerseys, new floor, and A NEW TEAM. Same colors and logo, unless u just gonna drop the triangle and use the logo at center court full time.

The Knicks don't need a new direction, sartorially speaking; they're just the New York Knicks. What kind of "direction" do you take? They should look like a professional basketball team, that's all. I recommend going back to the uniforms from the '94 Finals, which themselves were a throwback to old Knicks jerseys. If they want to put "KNICKS" on the front at home instead of "NEW YORK," they can do that. I can go either way. There's no sense in a major departure for the Knicks.

In his NBA uni watch roundup today Paul Lukas mentioned a "bombshell" that will be announced later this season that he's not at liberty to discuss yet. Anyone have any info/guess what this might be?

My guess would be one of the major marketed teams is in for a redesign, (ie. Celtics, Lakers, Rockets, Pistons, etc)...

Or it could just be what we've always waited for...the Thunder finally put something visually appealing together :lol:

I must be the only person outside of Oklahoma City who finds the Thunder's look good. The jerseys and colours work, I think. The logo isn't great, but it's better then some other NBA marks (the Lakers and Clippers come to mind).

You know what the Thunder are? They're the fictional team that the characters in a show about the NBA play for. Think Playmakers.

I know they tried to justify the color palette with Oklahoma flags and Oklahoma sunsets and so on but it still underwhelms me. Putting "City" above the front number instead of below it is a design flaw so egregious that I can't believe it wasn't caught. The logo is terrible and someone here or on a design blog detailed every single thing that was wrong with the execution. Thing of glory, it was. Of course the Lakers' logo is better don't be sillyyyy

The Knicks don't need a new direction, sartorially speaking; they're just the New York Knicks. What kind of "direction" do you take?

Well go back and take a look at their uniform history. It would just be nice to see them take a bit of a gamble and change it up, sort of like the Indiana Pacers did a few years ago with these. They still retain the look of the Pacers but yet it's different from anything else they've ever had!

rs7dauz89201l84e1m95phnlp.gif

I must be the only person outside of Oklahoma City who finds the Thunder's look good.

Yes, I think you are too! thicon_lol.gif

Of course the Lakers' logo is better don't be sillyyyy

Looking at this thing, purely design-wise, it's not holding up in my mind:

LosAngelesLakers_PRM_2002-9.png

REALLY needs to be cleaned up. Badly.

Not really. It's classic looking and if it's not broke, don't fix it!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Yes it is. Look at it objectively. It looks like a bad trace of something that was hand-drawn 40 years ago. (Which I'm guessing, it was.)

Yes it is. Look at it objectively. It looks like a bad trace of something that was hand-drawn 40 years ago. (Which I'm guessing, it was.)

agreed...I've always thought Rodney Richardson's attempt at a Lakers primary update was heading in the right direction:

RareLakers.png

He did this as part of the uniform redesign he oversaw at Nike some years back.

That?s the whole point, to keep the classic look they?ve had for the past 40 years! It?s no different than the Boston Celtics logo that Red?s brother drew back in the day. There have been minor tweaks here and there but no big overhauls that anybody could freak out about.

You know what the Thunder are? They're the fictional team that the characters in a show about the NBA play for. Think Playmakers.

I know they tried to justify the color palette with Oklahoma flags and Oklahoma sunsets and so on but it still underwhelms me. Putting "City" above the front number instead of below it is a design flaw so egregious that I can't believe it wasn't caught. The logo is terrible and someone here or on a design blog detailed every single thing that was wrong with the execution. Thing of glory, it was. Of course the Lakers' logo is better don't be sillyyyy

I like the colours *shrug*

The "City" above the numbers, eh, I could go either way. Below the numbers would seem more balanced, but to be honest, it doesn't bother me above the numbers like I would think it would.

The logo is....well it's not great, but really, I do prefer it to the Lakers logo. I'm with CW on that one. It looks like a bad tracing with a wordmark slapped on it. I'm not saying the concept behind the logo is bad, but really, at the very least they could clean it up a bit, ala what the Arizona Cardinals did.

What Conrad posted really would be ideal.

That’s the whole point, to keep the classic look they’ve had for the past 40 years! It’s no different than the Boston Celtics logo that Red’s brother drew back in the day. There have been minor tweaks here and there but no big overhauls that anybody could freak out about.

Umm, there's a distinct difference between "old" and "classic."

The Celtics logo may have begun life as a drawing, but it's been tweaked here and there to make it cleaner. This is exactly what needs to be done to the Lakers' logo. The general design can be kept, but the execution needs to be cleaned. Again, look at what Conrad posted. That's perfect!

Better yet, lets bust out the visual aides.

The Montréal Canadiens. The New York Yankees of hockey. Classic identity right? That didn't stop them from updating in the 1950's....

253.gif to 124.gif

Likewise what would be so bad about the Lakers going from

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif to RareLakers.png ?

Same design, pays homage to the classic logo, yet it's cleaned up.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Lakers update, not so much particularly THAT update, but something to clean up what they have, and that may force the Clippers into doing the same, so they're can be some seperation between the two...

You can't hold on to the past forever...i think... :therock:

I?m fine with tweaks here and there but the Lakers can?t switch that what Conrad posted, it just doesn?t flow or look right. You can?t have the L hanging off the ball and the S tucked in so much! The wordmark needs to be centered on the ball a bit more, and the ball needs to come down a little in size.

I'm fine with tweaks here and there but the Lakers can't switch that what Conrad posted, it just doesn't flow or look right. You can't have the L hanging off the ball and the S tucked in so much! The wordmark needs to be centered on the ball a bit more, and the ball needs to come down a little in size.

back in the day when these "classic" "logos" were sketched out, they weren't concerned so much with marketing, merchandising, reproduction on various mediums, internet, etc. Plain and simple - these logos just do not cut it today. That does not mean that the classic "feel" of them has to be lost, but they need to be made more appropriate for the modern era, which means that they need to look good when stitched on a patch, printed on a t-shirt, displayed on a web page, etc. With the technology available today, there's no excuse for a logo to be that sloppy.

Most (if not all) of what needs to be done could happen without 99.999999% of people even knowing it happened.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Most (if not all) of what needs to be done could happen without 99.999999% of people even knowing it happened.

Exactly. How many people would REALLY notice and/or care if the Lakers switched to something like this?

RareLakers.png

The Knicks don't need a new direction, sartorially speaking; they're just the New York Knicks. What kind of "direction" do you take?

Well go back and take a look at their uniform history. It would just be nice to see them take a bit of a gamble and change it up, sort of like the Indiana Pacers did a few years ago with these. They still retain the look of the Pacers but yet it's different from anything else they've ever had!

rs7dauz89201l84e1m95phnlp.gif

So the "classic" tracing/speed line workmark logo of the Lakers can't be touched, but the Knicks classic, if not slightly modern look, needs to be replaced with a new, modern uniform?

The Knicks are fine as they are. They could stand to reduce the amount of black in the colour scheme, but even if they didn't, it's still a clean, classic look.

And FTR the current Pacers look works for them because, aside from those late 90's/early 2000's uniforms, the Pacers have always had dynamic, modern looking uniforms. It works for the Pacers, it wouldn't for the Knicks.

Pinstripes on a basketball uniform were a modern contrivance, actually.

I think a lot of people would notice and care if the Lakers went to that ugly redesign. The "Los Angeles" text is in an ugly font and looks too skewed. Something about it also looks off balance. The Lakers really don't need to mess around with tweaks. I wish they had left their uniforms alone, but I've made my dislike of wishbone collars clear. I like plain old contrasting-color armholes and collars. I need boundaries.

Archived