NBA Logo/Uniform Changes for 2009-10...

DustDevil61

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, pretty much. I'd actually prefer "ATLA" to "ATL", but both are pretty dumb. It's not necessary to abbreviate a seven-letter name.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why can't NBA referees wear zebra stripes like everybody else? They should look like actual sporting officials as they're blowing calls and associating with organized crime. These look okay, but that weird polyester off-grey...I dunno, it's like it looks simultaneously So Right and So Wrong on old guys.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Considering the fact that pretty much everybody I know from out-of-town either calls it A-Town, The A, or ATL, it makes sense from a colloquial standpoint. I mean, it makes more sense than the Suns slapping PHX on their alt, because I have never heard anybody (either from or away from Phoenix) refer to that town as PHX.

Agreed...I'm from Knoxville and everyone i know from here or georgia or the southeast says that they're heading to "the ATL" when they go. I'm also 23, so I think anyone over 30 might not be "with" this vernacular.

Even here in the UK I'm aware of Atlanta being referred to as "ATL" (going back to the Outkast album "ATLiens"). And wearing it on the jerseys makes as much sense as the Sixers wearing "Phila".

I like 'em. Nice to see the Hawks back in red, as they always should be. Give it a couple of years and the alt with become the primary road.

Considering the fact that pretty much everybody I know from out-of-town either calls it A-Town, The A, or ATL, it makes sense from a colloquial standpoint. I mean, it makes more sense than the Suns slapping PHX on their alt, because I have never heard anybody (either from or away from Phoenix) refer to that town as PHX.

Agreed...I'm from Knoxville and everyone i know from here or georgia or the southeast says that they're heading to "the ATL" when they go. I'm also 23, so I think anyone over 30 might not be "with" this vernacular.

ATL Shawty LOL... TFoA pretty much nailed it on the head

I'm 22, and I'm not a fan.

Even here in the UK I'm aware of Atlanta being referred to as "ATL" (going back to the Outkast album "ATLiens"). And wearing it on the jerseys makes as much sense as the Sixers wearing "Phila".

"Philadelphia" is a much longer word then "Atlanta" and is thus harder to fit onto a jersey. So in that case an abbreviation is acceptable.

There is no real reason why a team would need to abbreviate "Atlanta" though.

HWK_Paint09_08.jpg

ATL...cruisin' in the ATL-L-L-L...cruisin' in the ATL...cruisin' in the ATL-L-L-L...

I hate these Atlanta uniforms with ATL on them. Looks like an airport code. I hope the trend doesn't catch on. The Wizards will be wearing BWI and what will the Knicks get, JRK or LGA? Bulls get ORD!

They're obviously marketing towards rap fans. :rolleyes:

87Redskins.png

I'm not opposed to the use of "ATL" on the jerseys, but I have to admit, on closer inspection, having just 3 letters on the jersey looks sorta weird. Outside of that and PHX, I dont know of any other American sports team that uses such few letters on their jerseys (excluding lettered logos), so that's probably why I find it so weird.

That's going to be the warm up gear for the Opening Night Celebration/Banner raising ceremonies...

Also, during "Heritage Week" February 21-28, 2010, other teams like the Rockets, Celtics, Knicks, Pistons, and Lakers, will be wearing these again to celebrate past championships...

All of the designs can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65516705@N00/sets/72157622508232323/detail/

Archived